← Redundancy Reduction and Pattern Recognition: Richard Dawkins's Answer to the Annual Edge Question

Redundancy Reduction and Pattern Recognition: Richard Dawkins's Answer to the Annual Edge Question - Comments

endgamex's Avatar Comment 1 by endgamex

Once again richard your brilliance has inspired me. Thank you for all you contribute not just to science but to the world.

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:52:16 UTC | #908808

keyfeatures's Avatar Comment 2 by keyfeatures

I'm not one for Festschrifts but The Selfish Gene surely has to get a look in? It has to be one of the most profoundly insightful theories put forward by a living thinker.

As for information theory, for me the universe must be its own information storage device, the laws which govern it the ultimate replicator, reducible to the relationship between nothing and 'everything' - a bounded yet infinite block model of repeating cycles giving a theoretical framework escaping singularities.

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:47:17 UTC | #908819

Ohnhai's Avatar Comment 3 by Ohnhai

Wow.. Our brains runs on JPGs.... :O

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:15:09 UTC | #908841

Naturalist1's Avatar Comment 4 by Naturalist1

My Goodness....What an impressive read. I have just taken the 3 hours or so required to read the entire EDGE article. An amazing list of leading "Edge" ideas by many of mankind's most brilliant minds. I feel refreshed, invigorated...Thank you for posting this RDF!

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:19:14 UTC | #908864

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 5 by mirandaceleste

This is wonderful & fascinating. I won't pretend that I understand all of it, of course, but I'd love to.

There are a few similar theories (not sure if I'm using the right word there?) in the field of rhetoric and composition studies, i.e. the "pattern perception hypothesis", which focuses on how to most effectively utilize/take advantage of sensory recognition of language patterns when we are attempting to create prose that communicates/disseminates ideas, information, and arguments in a clear and precise fashion.

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:46:30 UTC | #908873

Reckless Monkey's Avatar Comment 6 by Reckless Monkey

I visited a sewerage treatment plant with my students, at first we couldn't stand the smell after a few minutes it ceased to mother you until the breeze assaulted you with a more distinct whiff of it.

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 04:00:35 UTC | #909054

1Sokkie's Avatar Comment 7 by 1Sokkie

Comment 6 by Reckless Monkey

Good one. That's an example we can all understand.

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:32:14 UTC | #909085

William T. Dawkins's Avatar Comment 8 by William T. Dawkins

If ones intention focused on what has not changed or to ignore change, might this develope into a type of inverse man-made filter also? Something similar to meditation or a trance state. How about conservative or religious filters developing. Just a thought!

I would love to run a duplicate finder on the 'Genetic Book of the Dead' along with a type of CRC check maybe.

Seriously, Your parallel analysis of the gene pools would be a great elegant endeavor.

William

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:58:28 UTC | #909118

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 9 by Enlightenme..

I first came across an explanation concerning the 'grandmother neurone' delusion in one of Pinker's books - probably 'How the mind works'.

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:51:49 UTC | #909163

showmeproof's Avatar Comment 10 by showmeproof

"Nothing could have been farther removed from the labeled-line model. Instead of highly specialized neurons (like the infamous grandmother neuron) that fire in response to a single stimulus attribute (e.g. the face of one's grandmother), distributed neural representations are formed by broadly tuned neurons, which convey small amounts of information. As such, any individual neuron's instantaneous firing activity, when taken in isolation, is incapable of either discriminating between multiple stimuli or sustaining any behavior. However, when large populations of broadly tuned neurons are working together, precise computations can be achieved." -Miguel Nicolelis Beyond Boundaries pg 115-16.

While the experiments showing the idea of a grand mother neuron are fascinating and beautiful they are outdated. Why we ever thought a single neuron is responsible for any one particular attribute is beyond me when you look at the brain itself; Something on the order billions of cells forming trillions of connections. Neural networks and their high interconnectivity is the beautiful symphony of the brain.

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 20:11:13 UTC | #909621

lucette's Avatar Comment 11 by lucette

Sensory deprivation: fading and disappearance of boundaries/changes. Is there any research on this?

Thu, 02 Feb 2012 07:37:20 UTC | #913704

ridelo's Avatar Comment 12 by ridelo

Wonderful withouth miracles. Nature is more clever than I. A lot more.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 09:18:17 UTC | #916817

ridelo's Avatar Comment 13 by ridelo

Another interesting talk about neurons and boundaries:

Neil Burgess: How your brain tells you where you are

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 11:12:51 UTC | #916830

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 14 by DavidMcC

Comment 11 by lucette

The nearest thing I've found is a paper on the foetal ocular movements, and their effect on retinal development. Clearly, the most important time NOT to have sensory deprivation is when you've just been born!

Fetal ocular movements and retinal cell differentiation: analysis employing DNA microarrays

Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:59:03 UTC | #917712