← Alaska Airlines removing prayer cards from meal trays after 30 years as complaints increase

Alaska Airlines removing prayer cards from meal trays after 30 years as complaints increase - Comments

danconquer's Avatar Comment 1 by danconquer

Where was God when Alaska Airlines Flight 261 crashed into the Pacific Ocean, killing all 88 of His Children on board?

Busy taking prayers on another line perhaps?

Maybe the Prayer cards were not utilised by the ungrateful heathens on board that particular flight? Perhaps there was a misprint on them? Any air crash investigator worth his salt would surely make this their main line of inquiry.

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 01:02:48 UTC | #911564

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 2 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 1 by danconquer

Busy taking prayers on another line perhaps?

Some folk just don't pray hard enough.

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 01:33:17 UTC | #911572

mtgilbert's Avatar Comment 3 by mtgilbert

Prayer cards? I guess they don't have all that much confidence in their maintenance crews or pilots....

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 01:45:54 UTC | #911574

Quine's Avatar Comment 4 by Quine

Oh darn! Just when I was going to ask for my FSM prayer card, with the pasta, on my next flight.

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 01:47:23 UTC | #911576

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 5 by Agrajag

"Read more" ------> "The page you are looking for doesn't exist."

:-(
Steve

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 01:52:13 UTC | #911578

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 6 by Tyler Durden

Comment 4 by Quine :

The prophecy according to ZAZ (Zucker Abrahams Zucker):

"Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna."

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:03:39 UTC | #911581

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 7 by QuestioningKat

Comment 5 by Agrajag :

"Read more" ------> "The page you are looking for doesn't exist."

:-(
Steve

ditto

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:14:03 UTC | #911584

ccr5Delta32's Avatar Comment 8 by ccr5Delta32

“Some customers were comforted by the cards and some didn’t feel religion was appropriate on the plane "

That's more of a muslim kinda thing

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:18:39 UTC | #911585

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 9 by Neodarwinian

I flew Alaska Airlines long before prayer cards and Sarah Palin!

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:18:58 UTC | #911586

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 10 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 9 by Neodarwinian

flew Alaska Airlines long before prayer cards and Sarah Palin!

Are ya Orville or Wilbur? }80p

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:21:54 UTC | #911588

mmurray's Avatar Comment 11 by mmurray

The Read More should point to here.

Michael

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:26:38 UTC | #911590

mmurray's Avatar Comment 12 by mmurray

Comment 3 by mtgilbert :

With good cause apparently. That link dan conquer gives goes to

The subsequent investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board determined that inadequate maintenance led to excessive wear and catastrophic failure of a critical flight control system during flight. The probable cause was stated to be "a loss of airplane pitch control resulting from the in-flight failure of the horizontal stabilizer trim system jackscrew assembly's acme nut threads. The thread failure was caused by excessive wear resulting from Alaska Airlines's insufficient lubrication of the jackscrew assembly."[1]

Michael

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:28:20 UTC | #911592

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 13 by Steve Zara

I have an irrational fear of flying. I admit it is irrational. Knowing that an airline was handing out prayer cards would really, really not help with that fear.

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:32:32 UTC | #911593

RDfan's Avatar Comment 14 by RDfan

Coming in on a Wing and a Prayer

One of our planes was missing, Two hours overdue, One of our planes was missing, With all its gallant crew, The radio sets were humming, We waited for a word, Then a noise broke, Through the humming and this is what we heard:

Comin' in on a wing and a prayer, Comin' in on a wing and a prayer, Though there's one motor gone, We can still carry on, Comin' in on a wing and a prayer;

What a show, what a fight, boys, We really hit our target for tonight, How we sing as we limp through the air, Look below, there's our field over there, With just one motor gone, We can still carry on, Comin' in on a wing and a prayer.

WWII patriotic song, 1943

by Harold Adamson and Jimmie McHugh

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:34:49 UTC | #911594

Reckless Monkey's Avatar Comment 15 by Reckless Monkey

If faith had any impact on flight we wouldn't need aircraft would we?

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:41:32 UTC | #911596

Quine's Avatar Comment 16 by Quine

"Oh Lord, you are so very, very, big, and we are so very, very, small; please let the Navier–Stokes equations keep this plane in the air until we can safely land. Amen."

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:56:06 UTC | #911600

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 17 by crookedshoes

I prayed once. She never showed up.

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 03:48:18 UTC | #911611

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 18 by Neodarwinian

@ Ignorant Amos

Thirty years in not that long ago! I know deep time is a difficult concept for the young to wrap their heads around!

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 04:00:36 UTC | #911614

mmurray's Avatar Comment 19 by mmurray

Comment 16 by Quine :

Or maybe

"Oh Lord, I know you are going to make a lot of people suffer horribly today. But let it not be me. Please give a little baby cancer and let me live."

Michael

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 04:04:06 UTC | #911616

Pdogg's Avatar Comment 20 by Pdogg

I can understand why the airlines don't want encourage people to burst into prayer after September 11.

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 04:07:01 UTC | #911617

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 21 by crookedshoes

how about: "oh lord, let my Denver Broncos win this football game." Think that is a sufficiently selfish prayer?

BTW, I do not mind Tim Tebow and am not directly attacking him.....

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 04:08:11 UTC | #911618

Sample's Avatar Comment 22 by Sample

This is no small thing. Alaska Airlines is a gigantic US carrier, with hubs all across the nation despite its provincially sounding name. And a good airline at that with many pioneering inventions to its credit including GPS technology first invented for the challenging Alaska topography that is now used throughout the world on every major airline.

That said, I haven't seen prayer cards in years, if not a decade on Alaska Airlines after flying hundreds of thousands of miles with them (their mileage plan is tops). So, I was surprised to read this.

I'd like to think they know I'm an atheist and, like people with peanut allergies, clear out prayer cards three rows forward and three rows behind from my seat before I arrive.

Perhaps they still placed them on puddle jumpers in the Deep South connections: cue banjo music (nothing personal against banjos).

Anyway, great news.

(I just discovered that they place the cards in First Class, that's why I don't see them!).

Mike

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 04:23:31 UTC | #911620

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 23 by crookedshoes

Mike, Ever run into Sara Palin on your travels??? I'd rather run into Michael Palin. I'd bore him to death while sara would bore me to death....

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 04:33:13 UTC | #911622

Sample's Avatar Comment 24 by Sample

crookedshoes,

You wouldn't be expected to know this but the Palin Administration loathed Juneau. I chose not to meet her! Not to say it would have been easy. She essentially never stayed at the local Governor's Mansion, preferring instead to bilk Alaskans out of thousands of dollars in travel stipends so she could stay in her neighborhood of Wasilla (or Wa-silly now) 600 air miles away DURING session. The list goes on and on and she was no friend to science.

My wife's friend met her at a shoe store (how unexpected!) and chatted her up. An otherwise friendly politician I was told, so long as power and responsibility was kept the hell away from her.

Mike

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 04:51:43 UTC | #911626

Tryphon Tournesol's Avatar Comment 25 by Tryphon Tournesol

Is it just me, still a bit drunk at 6 o'clock and rather awake between the remnants of ladies underwear and an otherwise nice party, that I find every comment on this item just too funny?

Might think different in a couple of hours, but for now methinks this topic should also be tagged as humor..

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 04:57:11 UTC | #911628

spaarky13's Avatar Comment 26 by spaarky13

"Does your granny know of which state Juneau is the capital?" ALASKA! geddit? Personally, I'd welcome prayer cards handed out by bus drivers on boarding-- a quicker and better read than Metro.

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 05:01:54 UTC | #911629

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 27 by susanlatimer

comment 16 by Quine comment 19 by mmurray comment 23 by crookedshoes

What are the odds that three comments of such high calibre would appear so closely together on one thread?

There must be a god.

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 05:02:24 UTC | #911630

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 28 by crookedshoes

I'd like, very much, to study GOD. Could you please provide me with a beaker (50 ml would be fine) of god? I have so many questions.... A beaker of god would provide me with all I need...

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 05:10:46 UTC | #911632

DLJ's Avatar Comment 29 by DLJ

Comment 24 by Sample :

It's tempting to remind everyone of the old "D'you know the capital of Alaska" ditty, but I won't.

I would have loved to heard Palin's reply. I expect it would have started "Ah Bleeve that every Amarican has the right to choose the names by which...."

zzzzZZZzzZZzz

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 05:12:16 UTC | #911633

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 30 by rod-the-farmer

Does this mean that officially now, if you fly Alaska Air you won't have a prayer ?

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:21:43 UTC | #911647