← Student Faces Town’s Wrath in Protest Against a Prayer

Student Faces Town’s Wrath in Protest Against a Prayer - Comments

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 1 by Neodarwinian

Again we see the expression of perfect christian love!

Threatening a little girl that did the right thing because it was the right thing to do. You may overlook the fellow schoolmates comments, but the adults should hang their heads in shame.

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:25:37 UTC | #912076

rationalmind's Avatar Comment 2 by rationalmind

You may care to join the facebook group that is set up to support Jessica

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:29:35 UTC | #912077

Quine's Avatar Comment 3 by Quine

We hear people say that these issues are not important and should not be pursued. Then, as in this article, you have people justifying their positions because "In God We Trust" is printed on the money. I saw a clip where a guy from the Taliban made the same observation to call the US hypocrites when challenging their (the Taliban's) theocracy. These things DO matter and MUST be pursued. Please do what you can to support Jessica.

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:38:14 UTC | #912080

rationalmind's Avatar Comment 4 by rationalmind

This is a link that you can click on or Jesicca's support group on Facebook. I'll get the hang of editing things eventually. :-)

www.facebook.com/groups/179298715436387/

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:47:23 UTC | #912082

papa lazaru's Avatar Comment 5 by papa lazaru

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:55:54 UTC | #912086

Universeman's Avatar Comment 6 by Universeman

What amazes me the most as an atheist is how irrational religious types are, oh wait, religion is the result of irrational thinking, carry on. Seriously though, she looks like a lovely and bright young lady, who filed a legitimate complaint which was held up by a court of law, sorry religion but you look like a total asshole all of the way around, again this is the kind of rational which stems from the glorification of Filicide (I just learned a new word).

Praise Jesus

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:00:13 UTC | #912088

Jumped Up Chimpanzee's Avatar Comment 7 by Jumped Up Chimpanzee

Didn't Jesus preach to love your neighbour and enemy?

It seems many "Christians" in Rhode Island are choosing to ignore the central message of their religion.

Or do they not even know what their religion is?

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:08:20 UTC | #912092

papa lazaru's Avatar Comment 8 by papa lazaru

AKA cherry picking, depending on your mood.

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:11:52 UTC | #912093

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 9 by drumdaddy

"State Representative Peter G. Palumbo, a Democrat from Cranston, called Jessica “an evil little thing” on a popular talk radio show."

Little Mr. Palumbo has got some apologizing to do.

Reminders can be emailed here: rep-palumbo@rilin.state.ri.us

The House Ethics Committee can be contacted here: http://ethicshouse.gov/contact-us.

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:26:13 UTC | #912099

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 10 by drumdaddy

The corrected URL for the House Ethics Committee is below: http://ethics.house.gov/contact-us

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:29:27 UTC | #912102

JHJEFFERY's Avatar Comment 11 by JHJEFFERY

Comment 9 by drumdaddy

Reminders can be emailed here: rep-palumbo@rilin.state.ri.us

Done.

This appears to be a link to the US Congress. The aforementioned asshole is a state representative. Do you have a link for the Rhode Island state legislature?

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:29:38 UTC | #912103

Metamag's Avatar Comment 12 by Metamag

This is getting ridiculous, you would think this is happening in Pakistan instead of US.

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:33:06 UTC | #912104

Karen Hill Anton's Avatar Comment 13 by Karen Hill Anton

Christian love. 'Religion of Peace'. Whatever.

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:38:09 UTC | #912106

rationalmind's Avatar Comment 14 by rationalmind

Comment 12 by Metamag :

But don't you see you have the Christian Taliban in the USA. Or may be they way they want it to be the USSA.

Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:51:56 UTC | #912107

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 15 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator - off topic

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 00:12:46 UTC | #912110

msloane's Avatar Comment 16 by msloane

Just been reading the 'prayer'.

"... Help us to be good sports and smile when we lose as well as when we win..."

Maybe losing doesn't stretch to court cases ? Or maybe prayer doesn't work ?

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 00:16:21 UTC | #912111

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 17 by drumdaddy

Sorry about the prior mistake.

Complaints about Mr. Palumbo can be sent here:

Rhode Island Ethics Commission Offices

40 Fountain Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02903

Phone: 401-222-3790 Fax: 401-222-3382 Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 00:29:49 UTC | #912114

Slippy's Avatar Comment 18 by Slippy

Response to 15 - Peak oil poet.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here, are you saying that to reject the notion of an all seeing, all knowing, all powerful sky master, to reject the notion of eternity in a fire pit with demons, to reject the notion of an entity creating everything on earth on a whim. Are you saying to reject all of that you need a basic understanding of evolution?

If you knew nothing of evolution - you would be a believer in all that crap above as if there was just no alternative?

I hope I have misunderstood your post because to me it sounds like you are saying believing in god is a default position and someone would need an alternative to not believe it. I don't think anyone would choose to not believe in god, you just can't believe if you think about it properly for more than 10 minutes.

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 02:22:10 UTC | #912122

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 19 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 02:42:58 UTC | #912126

obijuanmartinez's Avatar Comment 20 by obijuanmartinez

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb..." - Lord Dark Helmet, 'Space Balls'

snicker

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 02:50:37 UTC | #912127

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 21 by aroundtown

Does she empathize in any way with members of her community who want the prayer to stay?

“I’ve never been asked this before,” she said. A pause, and then: “It’s almost like making a child get a shot even though they don’t want to. It’s for their own good. I feel like they might see it as a very negative thing right now, but I’m defending their Constitution, too.”

She is pretty sharp for one so youthful. I wish her the best with this mess. Yeah the good ole catholic church, what a pack of creeps. They are good a demonizing what they don't like but they are like vampires and lack the ability to see their ugly reflection in the mirror.

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 03:33:34 UTC | #912129

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 22 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 04:08:28 UTC | #912131

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 23 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator - removing response to removed off topic comment

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 04:24:59 UTC | #912134

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 24 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 04:39:21 UTC | #912135

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 25 by Carl Sai Baba

"I’m defending their Constitution, too."

Compare the mature insight of that statement by Ahlquist with the childish nonsense spit out by buttheads like Palumbo. Palumbo is a complete mental failure as a member of Homo sapiens. And a god damned SCHOOL of all institutions, which is supposed to be teaching kids about the prohibition on government-endorsement of religions, has to drag both its feet and its knuckles.

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 04:59:32 UTC | #912136

alf1200's Avatar Comment 26 by alf1200

You "people" in Cranston should be ashamed of yourselves. Your're acting like a mob rather than adults.

Your're a poor example of intelligence.

If I lived in Cranston I would volunteer to escort her to school and back and pity the poor fool who tried to do anything about it. I'm godddamed mad.

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 07:41:37 UTC | #912147

sidelined's Avatar Comment 27 by sidelined

What stands out in my mind as truly ironic in this is that the actions against Jessica and their relation to the words of the removed prayer are so polar opposite.

Our Heavenly Father

Grant us each day the desire to do our best, to grow mentally and morally,as well as physically, to be kind and helpful to our classmates and teachers, to be honest with ourselves as well as others. Help us to be good sports and smile when we lose as well as when we win. Teach us the value of true friendship. Help us to always conduct ourselves so as to bring credit to Cranston High School West.

Amen.

And you have just got to know that the disconnect is so total as to keep them blind to the obvious. Einstein was correct about human stupidity alas.

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 07:50:31 UTC | #912148

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 28 by xmaseveeve

'Burn the witch!' Can't they just re-write the sign without reference to 'God'? It's all 'Simple Simon says', as if wise words would just float away without the anchor of the endorsement of 'God'. It's imposed authority and glaringly irrelevant product placement. Religion is self-hatred. It discredits humanity.

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 07:59:20 UTC | #912150

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 29 by xmaseveeve

I reminds me of the time I went with a schoolfriend and her parents to a dance in an orange hall. At the end, I stubbornly refused to stand up for the national anthem and was then surrounded by people who wanted to kill me. I was an eleven-year-old hate figure. Oh well, my mum warned me not to go...

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 08:08:18 UTC | #912152

alf1200's Avatar Comment 30 by alf1200

Give us merakins a break. Whats a orange hall?

Comment 29 by xmaseveeve :