← Dawkins made it to my Sociology class

Dawkins made it to my Sociology class - Comments

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 1 by AtheistEgbert

This is about the freedom and tolerance that our society and educational system has lost or rather, never had. It’s about people being empowered to ask questions about centuries old religious and cultural dogmas and to challenge the relevance of medieval practices in the 21st century.

You only realize freedom is gone once you lose it (or in this case gain it).

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:23:41 UTC | #915254

snail-12's Avatar Comment 2 by snail-12

Some of the comments on this article show a frightening level of misunderstanding. As usual some people attack completely unrecognisable arguments suposedly made by Prof. Dawkins.

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:36:24 UTC | #915255

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 3 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 13:02:29 UTC | #915261

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 4 by Premiseless

The seed of freethinking has way to grow.

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 13:13:43 UTC | #915265

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 5 by Peter Grant

Hey, this is good news! Small victories for freedom inspire hope for the future.

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:02:41 UTC | #915276

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 6 by aroundtown

I will point out what should be obvious and I will use George Carlin's words to make my point. We do not have guaranteed freedoms anywhere, what we do have are temporary privileges and George pointed out the Japanese who were fully recognized citizens being locked up in internment camps because they were perceived as a threat by the government. The unfortunate problem is one can become convinced that a freedom is fully entrenched and rely and act on that premise, but if the situation arises where your actions are considered destabilizing you find yourself in trouble. I would dearly love to see religion go into the trash can for good but it is going to be a long and winding road to get there. I just hope they don't come looking for the teacher in this sociology class.

I also want to point out another fantastically effective tool and that is the use of the human trait to enjoy the spread of gossip. Just bend an ear here and there that religion is shit and rots your brain, and maybe the message will spread like a wild fire. One can hope, I do. A world without religion in it would be a wonderful, wonderful thing. It's not that we would not continue to have conflict and problems that would need to be addressed, it's just that the solutions could be reached so much faster without the ball and chain of religion getting in the way. Just my two cents from an evolved being.

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:12:20 UTC | #915278

Duff's Avatar Comment 7 by Duff

The article gives hope and then most of the comments take it away. But there amidst the ignorance are some intelligent, thoughtful people.

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:21:55 UTC | #915281

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 8 by Dhamma

While reading the comments may be disheartening, without the internet and globalization, what exposure to atheism/skepticism would they have in the first place? It may take a very long time, but with the sudden influx of new ideas; atheism will make an impact.

I believe it's worth pouring out our views ad nauseam in order to aware people it's not a fringe idea. Much like homosexuality grew acceptance through awareness, by removing FUD, we should too.

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 18:30:44 UTC | #915327

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 9 by Schrodinger's Cat

Comment 2 by snail-12

What surprises me is how so many don't have the logical capacity to work out that the blasphemy laws are themselves an 'insult to Allah'. I mean.....what could be more insulting to the all-powerful Allah than to suggest that he's actually such a wimp as to be affected by the views of a mere mortal ?

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 19:08:05 UTC | #915336

StephenH's Avatar Comment 10 by StephenH

Re: comments

The attempted utterances of: adeel

Virtually impossible to read. Maybe critics should get their ability to spell and explain themselves clearly in order first. I just find it laughable

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 19:45:56 UTC | #915357

Spawny Rosary's Avatar Comment 11 by Spawny Rosary

This is indeed heartening. I hope it spreads. Many of the comments following the article are favourable.

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 21:50:05 UTC | #915409

danconquer's Avatar Comment 12 by danconquer

The story itself is heartening enough to read. But it is the act of publication which is an equally - if not more - encouraging thing, given the courageousness it requires in that country. Crucially, The Express Tribune is a Pakistani owned and edited publication, so I really extend my admiration to all those involved for their self-evident display of fearless journalistic integrity.

Tue, 07 Feb 2012 22:08:28 UTC | #915414

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 13 by Starcrash

What an inspirational story. I didn't realize I was so sappy about free speech, but I'm on the verge of joyful tears.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 01:28:46 UTC | #915472

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 14 by Richard Dawkins

I'm quite encouraged by the comments on the original Pakistan site. Lots of sensible comments. And the dopey ones are (rather surprisingly given that the film shown seems to have been Root of All Evil?) almost all about the ubiquitous misunderstanding of evolution as a theory of pure chance.

Richard

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 03:16:22 UTC | #915493

A. R's Avatar Comment 15 by A. R

Richard: I have noticed the same in discussing blasphemy and religious tolerance with Pakistani students at my University. I suppose a trend toward secularism similar to that in Iran is developing in Pakistan. A truly heartening thought.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 15:51:44 UTC | #915638

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 16 by Mr DArcy

I posted this on the Express Tribune's site. I see no reason to change it here:

How many of the Muslim posters here are happy to use mobile phones, computers, modern medicine, airplanes etc. , whilst crawling around on their knees in submission to a non-existant deity? Sorry mates, if you want the benefits of modern science whilst at the same time dismissing the methods it uses, then you are being hypocritical.

If you get ill, read the Koran instead of bothering a doctor.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 19:23:34 UTC | #915678

Tintern's Avatar Comment 17 by Tintern

Excellent; always good to see a little light at the end of the tunnel, especially when it is the very dark tunnel that Pakistan has become for common sense and human values of late.

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 16:23:55 UTC | #915898