← A Proclamation - Darwin Week

A Proclamation - Darwin Week - Comments

Corey from Earth's Avatar Comment 1 by Corey from Earth

Cool!

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 03:59:39 UTC | #915499

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 2 by Neodarwinian

Here, here!

To Charles Robert Darwin, one of the greatest! Also to Kamloops, BC. ( added to dictionary )

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 04:14:43 UTC | #915501

Sample's Avatar Comment 3 by Sample

Just a forty mile hop over the Mendenhall glacier and yet so distant culturally; the beautiful Province of BC and its admirable proclamation.

Mike

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 04:18:30 UTC | #915502

drummer's Avatar Comment 4 by drummer

So proud to be Canadian...and to live in BC....way to go Mr. Milobar!

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 04:20:48 UTC | #915504

CameronKoch's Avatar Comment 5 by CameronKoch

I am so glad to have finally found a site in which people have similar views as me. I was stuck in the intellectual wasteland that is the internet for way too long.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 04:45:55 UTC | #915510

Sample's Avatar Comment 6 by Sample

Welcome aboard CameronKoch,

Now...just what are these similar views? :-j

Mike

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 05:39:12 UTC | #915522

perkyjay's Avatar Comment 7 by perkyjay

I am proud to be a British Columbian also - my wife and I retired here from Alberta 12 years ago and have never regretted moving for one single nano-second.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 05:41:43 UTC | #915524

dejar44's Avatar Comment 8 by dejar44

YES! Could not be more proud of my hometown!

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 06:37:13 UTC | #915534

Helga Vieirch's Avatar Comment 9 by Helga Vieirch

I saw this earlier today, when a friend who lives in Whistler BC posted it on her Facebook page. Kamloops is the last place you'd think would be a hotbed of evolutionary thought, or of atheism. It is a small city of about 90,000, with a lot of ethnic diversity. It is the site of a small university (around 10,000 students). However, according to the 2001 census persons of "no religious affiliation" constituted near 38% of the population, greater than any religious group.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 06:47:23 UTC | #915536

AnthropicConstance's Avatar Comment 10 by AnthropicConstance

Congrats to all the British Columbians signing up new on RD.net!

Kamloops is host to the Atheist Alliance International 2012 Convention this May.

I'm a Wet Coaster myself.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 06:58:23 UTC | #915537

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 11 by Mr DArcy

Ah! So B. C. means British Columbia does it? I thought it had another meaning, but I've forgotten what it was.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 08:40:58 UTC | #915546

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 12 by Premiseless

There is something deeply frustrating about being born too late to mate with this, but nevertheless being part of the audience, or the virtual alternative, is worthwhile.

Oh to build a life from this juncture?

Congratulations to everyone over there. More Power to your elbow!

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 08:44:30 UTC | #915547

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 13 by Premiseless

Or as Sam might say - never hesitate to take on a master of delusions!

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 09:02:35 UTC | #915550

mmurray's Avatar Comment 14 by mmurray

Comment 11 by Mr DArcy :

You are getting confused with BCE which means British Colombia Eh !

Michael

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 09:32:21 UTC | #915553

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 15 by Alan4discussion

Perhaps the Canadian government (and other some governments) could copy the Bank of England and celebrate scientists on bank notes!

http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Bank_of_England_note_issues - while a second Series E note was issued on 7 November 2000 featuring Charles Darwin, HMS Beagle, a hummingbird, and flowers under a magnifying glass, illustrating the Origin of Species. The hummingbird's inclusion has been criticised, since Darwin's ideas were spurred by finches and mockingbirds, not hummingbirds

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:20:22 UTC | #915563

kshaw's Avatar Comment 16 by kshaw

Thank goodness for the DescentfromDarwin.org

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 13:05:44 UTC | #915593

78rpm's Avatar Comment 17 by 78rpm

Wonderful! It's Yin and Yang or something---on a global level this can balance the vile Xtians in Cranston, RI, USA.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 13:34:57 UTC | #915598

GBile's Avatar Comment 18 by GBile

I will be in Kamloops to attend the 'Atheist Alliance International 2012 Convention' in may during a visit to Canada. A little late for Darwin week though, but maybe the proclamation will be for sale as a souvenir. I wil buy one !

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 13:35:23 UTC | #915599

Sharpur's Avatar Comment 19 by Sharpur

I just like the word Kamloops! ;)

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:38:09 UTC | #915618

wilted's Avatar Comment 20 by wilted

Proud to be British Columbian. Now if we could only convince our Prime Minister and Minister of State for Science.....

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:30:39 UTC | #915655

Naturalist1's Avatar Comment 21 by Naturalist1

Wow....I am impressed! And this coming from a part of my country where there is a giant amount of the christian crazy element. I'll bet he is getting hate mail over this. Still....makes me proud to be a Canadian.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:44:34 UTC | #915660

Naturalist1's Avatar Comment 22 by Naturalist1

Mayor Milobar's email address (his assistant) is: jlewis@kamloops.ca I have just sent the following:

Dear Mayor Milobar,

I most heartily congratulate you in your courage and forsight for you declaration of "International Darwin Week"! I have read about it on Richard Dawkins website:

Again, sincere thanks for this insightful declaration.

Darrell Cadieux Cambridge, Ontario.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:57:56 UTC | #915662

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 23 by alaskansee

@ 21 Naturalist 1

Good News!

As someone living in the crazy christian west, from the secular east, it's surprising how little evidence there is for your "giant amount" hypotosis!

I'm not sure if the Convention list has been updated from last year but the list is impressive! I hope to be there!

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 19:16:48 UTC | #915674

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 24 by Stafford Gordon

Bravo! Encore, tout le monde, partout.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 19:43:40 UTC | #915682

dust2dust's Avatar Comment 25 by dust2dust

I'm not sure this mayor did this on his own volition. I'm pretty sure someone brought this idea to his attention. But certainly kudos to him for agreeing to the idea and making it happen and also to the originator of the idea.

By the way...for curiosity, the city name comes from a first nations (Indian/native/aboriginal) group and it means 'where the rivers meet'. In this case the confluence of the North and South Thompson Rivers. Using English-ish letters it's spelled Tk'eml├║ps.

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 20:22:17 UTC | #915690

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 26 by prettygoodformonkeys

I am surprised, and pleased, to see something like this coming from my home province. Usually I am surprised by something from the conservative, redneck side of things; we're sometimes called Brutish Columbia, after all.

Still, I hope this is the start of a trend, and I am much more interested in Kamloops than I was before!

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 21:00:47 UTC | #915697

obijuanmartinez's Avatar Comment 27 by obijuanmartinez

I'm moving! This is utterly unheralded - Way to go! Will likely NEVER see one of these here in the States...

Wed, 08 Feb 2012 21:19:14 UTC | #915703

tboulay's Avatar Comment 28 by tboulay

That was really good, Proud to be Canadian. :) Now if Ottawa could do the same nation wide.

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 06:22:30 UTC | #915793

carlin rules's Avatar Comment 29 by carlin rules

Now another reason it's called Beautiful British Columbia!

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:18:43 UTC | #916036