← Fri. Feb10, 1pm EST - Rebroadcast of Lawrence Krauss/Richard Dawkins ASU event

Fri. Feb10, 1pm EST - Rebroadcast of Lawrence Krauss/Richard Dawkins ASU event - Comments

nurnord's Avatar Comment 1 by nurnord

I hope this discussion is going to appear on this site, and soon !!!

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 02:38:13 UTC | #915767

fuzzylogic's Avatar Comment 2 by fuzzylogic

Perfect, I have friday off!

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 03:20:06 UTC | #915776

sisko7's Avatar Comment 3 by sisko7

But it's to early for Europe. It'll be 7am CET :(

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 08:42:49 UTC | #915810

Tony d's Avatar Comment 4 by Tony d

@Comment 3 by sisko7

7am is not early i bet you are a student.Bloody kids today. Get a job!

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 08:51:45 UTC | #915814

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 5 by rod-the-farmer

You're lucky you had a clock.

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:43:04 UTC | #915821

watchdogd's Avatar Comment 6 by watchdogd

I was there and it was an enjoyable evening. However, a lot of what they discussed I had already heard though other youtube videos. I have not read his book yet, but to me it did not appear that he talked a lot about his new book and more about what we have already heard. Overall thought it was terrific and I am glad I finally got to see these two in person.

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 11:51:12 UTC | #915836

nancynancy's Avatar Comment 7 by nancynancy

How exciting. That's tomorrow at noon for me, so I'll be tuning in.

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:21:25 UTC | #916038

Jumped Up Chimpanzee's Avatar Comment 8 by Jumped Up Chimpanzee

Comment 3 by sisko7 But it's to early for Europe. It'll be 7am CET :(

No, 1pm EST is 7pm CET, or 6pm GMT (same day in all cases).

Hope you'll be out of bed by then!

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:55:55 UTC | #916047

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 9 by alaskansee

@ Rod-the-farmer

Won't the cows get you up?

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 00:43:03 UTC | #916074

Quine's Avatar Comment 10 by Quine

I'll set my alarm. Many of us in Silicon Valley are not exactly "morning people." I do have a coffee maker that I can program to start automatically; that will help.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 01:08:43 UTC | #916080

Ode2Hitch's Avatar Comment 11 by Ode2Hitch

Password?

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 06:55:44 UTC | #916116

fuzzylogic's Avatar Comment 12 by fuzzylogic

There's a recorded video of the event on the page anyway, so not sure the point of streaming it again.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:58:53 UTC | #916280

Tord M's Avatar Comment 13 by Tord M

Not so many new arguments for those who are already familiar with Dawkins and Krauss. But since these two are probably my two favorite scientist it was still really enjoyable. ("favorite" here is not an absolute, because I'd probably also say Händel and Bach were my two favorite composer, before I'd remember that Wagner, Mozart, Purcell and Ellington are also among my two favorite composers...)

Anyway, I really like the format of unmoderated discussions/debates like this, that Dawkins is pioneering. Wouldn't it be great to see something like this on the BBC?

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:57:10 UTC | #916403

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 14 by huzonfurst

I almost attended (from San Diego) but it was just too much driving for the one event. I did attend the Origins symposium two or three years ago when everyone was there, which would have included Stephen Hawking but for his health, and loved every non-stop minute of speech after speech for three days running.

The only complaint I have about this one is the high-bandwidth requirement, completely unnecessary because the video added nothing to the discussion beyond closeups of our two talking heads. I had to put up with a minute of streaming followed by several seconds' pause for the modem to catch up thru the entire discussion. I'd like to see a lower-res option in the future.

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 01:24:34 UTC | #916487

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 15 by huzonfurst

@5: We used to dream of 'avin' a clock!

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 01:31:12 UTC | #916491

nancynancy's Avatar Comment 16 by nancynancy

I agree the high-bandwidth requirement slowed the transmission to a snails pace. It took almost four hours to watch the program, and all the pauses made it difficult to listen to. However, the speakers were excellent.

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 01:57:16 UTC | #916497