← America and Eurasia 'to meet at north pole'

America and Eurasia 'to meet at north pole' - Comments

pwuk's Avatar Comment 1 by pwuk

should set a few right wing veins throbbing

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 12:48:07 UTC | #915842

Sample's Avatar Comment 2 by Sample

Alas, Alaskans will be able to see Russia from their houses some day. Joking aside, plate tectonic theory, developed only in the last century, sure is facinating.

Mike

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 12:57:48 UTC | #915844

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 3 by Alan4discussion

If the landmasses make a super-continent over the North Pole, leaving ocean covering most of the southern hemisphere, that will radically wind up the climate, with massive ice caps over the northern land-mass and long duration hurricanes completely circling the globe over water in the south. (Like Jupiter's Red Spot!)

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 13:29:53 UTC | #915854

stevenwood21's Avatar Comment 4 by stevenwood21

Oh please!

Don't you know that plate techtonics is 'just a theory'! The idea of land moving around the globe....really! And how could land masses have moved so far in only 6,000 years!

Seriously, plate techtonics was narrowly voted in as accepted theory by the British Science Association only a few decades ago. Amazing. Since then, a wealth of evidence has supported it and all those who opposed it (presumably on philosophical grounds) have all faded away or died. A colleague of mine's father was at the vote and remembers it vividly. He was on the 'yes' side of the decision.

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 14:07:39 UTC | #915865

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 5 by drumdaddy

This is assuming that we do not blow up the planet before Amasia can amass.

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 14:16:41 UTC | #915868

Ode2Hitch's Avatar Comment 6 by Ode2Hitch

Amasing.

Well somebody had to......

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 14:30:46 UTC | #915870

Jumped Up Chimpanzee's Avatar Comment 7 by Jumped Up Chimpanzee

Most importantly, Britain will still be separated from France!

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 15:18:05 UTC | #915880

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 8 by Alan4discussion

Comment 7 by Jumped Up Chimpanzee

Most importantly, Britain will still be separated from France!

Even if Italy and Greece seem to have disappeared! (.... Or just folded?)

Still, many US politicians have wanted closer ties with South America.

Of course humans are going to have to make serious educational progress, if they expect to still be around when this happens!

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 16:51:46 UTC | #915907

kev_s's Avatar Comment 9 by kev_s

... and it looks like santa will have a shorter journey to Europe from the north pole (assuming he moves house to stay where the pole is).

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 20:17:00 UTC | #915994

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 10 by prettygoodformonkeys

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 21:22:41 UTC | #916018

Scruddy Bleensaver's Avatar Comment 11 by Scruddy Bleensaver

America and Eurasia will crash into each other over the North Pole in 50-200 million years time, according to scientists at Yale University.

Man, that's not for months yet. What a great way for your PhD thesis to never be disproved.

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:00:49 UTC | #916031

TheVirginian's Avatar Comment 12 by TheVirginian

I'm glad for this insider trading tip. I've sent my stock broker an order for a big purchase of shares in the Acme Super Collision Helmet company. Their website just announced that their helmets have been proven to withstand even the impact of two landmasses simultaneously and provide full protection for your skull when the Big Crash occurs. The stock was trading at about 10 cents when I bought it, but is now up to $2 and rising. Hurry to buy your shares before the Big Investors get wind of this. Anyone who buys in in the next 24 hours will make a killing! I'm going to be rich! Rich! Rich! I'll be able to afford a yacht to float offshore and watch the collision. (Of course, I'll be wearing my helmet in case my pilot miscalculates where to anchor before the crash.) You can too, but only if you hurry to buy. Now! Now! Now! BTW, anyone want to join me in putting up money to help a Nigerian oil billionaire's widow smuggle his fortune out of the country? I'll go halfsies. Just contact me and I'll give you my bank account number to send your share of our good faith money.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 07:05:34 UTC | #916119

Reason Saves's Avatar Comment 13 by Reason Saves

By the time this happens, I guess there will be a rather different set of animals roaming the Earth from the animals here now. That aside, I can't help thinking that, for example, when Australia and Africa merge, there's going to be a mass extinction as species that never previously met are brought face-to-face. I think we can guess what would happen when lions meet kangaroos... .

Of course some extinctions have happened when one foreign species is introduced, but is there any evidence that continental merging has caused mass extinctions in the past?

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:27:14 UTC | #916154

El Rico's Avatar Comment 14 by El Rico

Truly, Amasia will amaze ya'.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:23:45 UTC | #916416

colmorrison's Avatar Comment 15 by colmorrison

Comment 13 by Reason Saves :

By and large, the continents have mostly separated in ages past. The last major continental collision I can think of was India into Asia (the driving force of the Himalayas). Good luck with the literature research on that one!

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:58:44 UTC | #916426