← ARCHBISHOP TAKES ON ATHEIST DAWKINS

ARCHBISHOP TAKES ON ATHEIST DAWKINS - Comments

victimlesscrime's Avatar Comment 1 by victimlesscrime

May I suggest the Peter Gunn theme for the intro music?

Seriously though, won't the archie just dance around with his "poetry" again? Well done to the professor for having another stab mind...

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:09:05 UTC | #916377

jel's Avatar Comment 2 by jel

Is this part of Oxford "think week" 2012? I only just remembered think week and when I looked it up it had a conversation with R.D. but gave no further details. I'm bloody annoyed with myself, I was hoping to attend again this year but because I've left it so late I can't get the time off work now.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:13:07 UTC | #916379

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 3 by Jos Gibbons

Did the title need to be capitalised?

man's greatest question [is] The nature of human beings and the question of their ultimate origin

That’s a matter of opinion. Personally, I would think a great question would not to be one not yet adequately scientifically answered.

God is the power or the intelligence that shapes the whole of that process

This guy has clearly never studied the mathematical, statistical basis of population genetics.

God's act is the beginning of all creation

Does this guy even know that evolution began billions of years after “creation”?

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:13:54 UTC | #916380

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 4 by Schrodinger's Cat

I predict a knockout in the first round, after which Williams will be substituted with a stuffed dummy with a tape recorded ' I am sitting and waiting on the great question mark' message. Rumours that this substitution occured years ago have been denied by the C Of E.......however suspicions were raised recently when an advert for an 'eyebrow puppeteer' appeared in a church magazine.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:14:48 UTC | #916381

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 5 by Alan4discussion

The leader of the Church of England, Dr Rowan Williams, will meet Britain's most famous non-believer to take on the complex subject of "The nature of human beings and the question of their ultimate origin".

So is Williams going on crash courses on cosmology, astronomy, physics, biology and genetics? - or just offering the usual obfuscated verbosity? ( No I am not taking bets on this!) After all, before you can give a rational answer, you need to understand the question! .. ... ... Oh! .... Yeh!

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:28:04 UTC | #916385

potteryshard's Avatar Comment 6 by potteryshard

Since all religious rhetoric amounts to "Yes he does! Yes he does! Yes he does!" I'd predict the outcome to be just another endless variation on the theme.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:29:12 UTC | #916386

Jumped Up Chimpanzee's Avatar Comment 7 by Jumped Up Chimpanzee

It doesn't sound like it will come up in this discussion, but I'd like to see Rowan Williams challenged as to why he considers he is justified to uphold the imposition of a state religion on the country when he is still waiting to find out what it is that he stands for. Any spiritual leader of a state religion is morally and ethically obliged to explain to every citizen clearly and without ambiguity exactly what he believes.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:31:14 UTC | #916387

DonDonDon's Avatar Comment 8 by DonDonDon

Fairyologist...

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:33:00 UTC | #916389

The Truth, the light's Avatar Comment 9 by The Truth, the light

Best to take along some olive oil and vinegar as you just know it's going to be a word salad fest.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:34:46 UTC | #916390

DefenderOfReason!'s Avatar Comment 10 by DefenderOfReason!

I look forward to Prof. Dawkins' total destruction of this embecile.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:41:51 UTC | #916393

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 11 by Jos Gibbons

jel, according to a friend of mine who organises Think Week, they wanted to play a part in the event, but the Theology department hogged it.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:46:28 UTC | #916397

Quine's Avatar Comment 12 by Quine

Be sure to ask him why we should not expect the theology of today to be the mythology of tomorrow, as it has always become in the past?

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:50:21 UTC | #916400

Sample's Avatar Comment 13 by Sample

Pillow fight!

:-j

Mike

(Check his pillow for a monkeywrench Professor, you know how clever they are!)

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:51:27 UTC | #916402

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 14 by strangebrew

The thunder dome...

Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.

I sense a little of ...'going for broke' ...on behalf of 'catweazle!

What could possibly change in such a pallid argument already offered from the last encounter from this doyenne of the unruly, unkept & incontinent eyebrow wearing aficionados!

Maybe the question mark has morphed into a exclamation mark...transubstantiation of the word...now we is getting to the 'fistikated feelology' so boasted about by C of E clones... not holding the breath though...they got me like that last time...they had nuthin' zero zilch...fool me once and all that!

Go Richard...kick ya some theological derrière...remember mercy is only for those of a polite disposition, and you be strident apparently, and according to their assesment...go get 'em kidda!

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:57:50 UTC | #916404

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 15 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:02:03 UTC | #916406

ridelo's Avatar Comment 16 by ridelo

I don't like the debate form very much for this kind of questions. If Richard demolishes the archbishops arguments, the latter gets all the sympathy for the underdog. And a poetic underdog as well. My eyes already begin to brim with tears...

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:03:49 UTC | #916407

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 17 by Alan4discussion

Comment 11 by Jos Gibbons

Well - they do have years of catching up to do in the art of thinking - and only a few months before the re-sits!

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:15:06 UTC | #916410

JHJEFFERY's Avatar Comment 18 by JHJEFFERY

The article says it will be streamed live on Feb 23, but it doesn't seem to say WHEN. Anyone know?

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:16:00 UTC | #916411

Tord M's Avatar Comment 19 by Tord M

Dr Williams said: "For me, God is the power or the intelligence that shapes the whole of that process. As creator, God's act is the beginning of all creation."

As a foreigner I must confess that my English is not very good. I'm simply not able to comprehend such linguistic innovations. Can someone please explain to me what that sentence is supposed to mean?

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:16:32 UTC | #916412

colmorrison's Avatar Comment 20 by colmorrison

I think it'll be a fairly civilised affair - I saw the interview of RD with the archbishop and they seemed to have a good rapport. RD has a bit of a soft spot for the C of E (which he describes as 'benign').

The annoying thing about Dr. Rowan Williams is that he's quite a thoughtful, intellectual man with a few big blind spots. Listening to some C of E clergy speak and write, they sound largely like humanists in all but name.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:22:50 UTC | #916415

Quine's Avatar Comment 21 by Quine

Also, be sure to ask him what clergy should do when they wake up and realize that they no longer believe what they are preaching, but don't know how to do any other job?

Find out if he really believes that the graves opened and zombies walked Jerusalem (Matthew 27:51-53).

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:37:58 UTC | #916420

Skeptic Tank's Avatar Comment 22 by Skeptic Tank

Why does the term "woolly obscurantism" pop into my head whenever I see that guy's picture? If you google the phrase, I have to assume his face pops up as the first image result.

(nope, I just tried it, and the first hit is Hitch, ironically... can we change this, Internet, a la Santorum?)

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:02:24 UTC | #916427

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 23 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:05:23 UTC | #916430

Sample's Avatar Comment 24 by Sample

Comment 19 by Tord M

Dr Williams said: "For me, God is the power or the intelligence that

I would like to nominate this as the most sublime post of the week.

Mike

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:10:25 UTC | #916435

Steven Mading's Avatar Comment 25 by Steven Mading

I thought Richard had a policy of not debating with idiots because it looks good on their CV and bad on his.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:24:18 UTC | #916437

ridelo's Avatar Comment 26 by ridelo

Will it be like this?

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:31:55 UTC | #916442

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 27 by strangebrew

Comment 19 by Tord M

I'm simply not able to comprehend such linguistic innovations.

The best minds in humanity have singularly failed to unravel such deep 'feelology'

After rather intense and long linguistic analysis and running the text through the most powerful computer language algorithms known to uncover possible syntactic coded analogue data riding under the carrier sentence. the general consensus seems to be...

"Typical fucking barking theist bullshite"

Comment 24 by Sample

I would like to nominate this as the most sublime post of the week.

Certainly the most astute!

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:35:53 UTC | #916444

hemidemisemigod's Avatar Comment 28 by hemidemisemigod

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Dear Professor Dawkins,

Please go easy on Dr Williams but don't forget to ask him why his god didn't choose to have twins or triplets or...

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:39:28 UTC | #916446

Viveca's Avatar Comment 29 by Viveca

I predict the Archbishop will simultaneously use two arguments:

1- The appeal to the emotions of the common man. i.e. we must be humble and admit we don't know a great deal, perhaps we can never know. The dangers of hubris. A child's smile, a piece of music, the realm of aesthetics, the hope and meaning faith gives, the miracle of altruism etc.

2 - Derrida, postmodernism, poststructuralism, deconstruction etc, but in a theological dress. The abyss of epistemology. Science as simply another way of knowing, no better or worse than any other. No privileged access to truth.

I've no doubt prof. Dawkins will easily deal with these objections, the important question is how the audience will react. Nonsense and obfuscation can be highly persuasive. Let's hope not this time.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:43:34 UTC | #916449

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 30 by the great teapot

Ask him why only one god. My particular favouite of all the uncontested claims of faith is the notion that there is only one god. the religious seem to view the belief in multiple gods as an out dated concept without justification. I would like to know why they believe in one god and not 233 gods. 233 is just as valid a number as 1.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:47:48 UTC | #916450