← Malaysia deports Saudi journalist Hamza Kashgari

Malaysia deports Saudi journalist Hamza Kashgari - Comments

debonnesnouvelles's Avatar Comment 1 by debonnesnouvelles

what can we do to support this man?

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:17:31 UTC | #916842

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 2 by aroundtown

This story disgusts me - witnessing the insanity of governments who jump through the hoops for this religious crap. I have no doubt he will be prosecuted in good ole Saudi Arabia or what I like to call it, the stone age capital of the world. Mark my words that the United States will say exactly nothing and will do nothing to assist a persecuted individual in Saudi Arabia because of the comfy relationship, I am sure you can remember George Bush holding hands with the high mucky muck when they came for a visit to the United States. I hope a ground swell of support for this persecuted man who's only crime was to reject the insanity of religion might grow beyond the story and bring this insanity out into the light of reason. The Saudi Government are the true criminals in this case.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:19:34 UTC | #916843

Elisabeth Cornwell's Avatar Comment 3 by Elisabeth Cornwell

It is interesting that the UK as well as the European Court of Human Rights did far more to protect Jens Soering - obtaining a guarantee from the US government that he would not face the death penalty - than they have to protect Hamza Kashgari from likely execution. But I suppose it is because it is 'their culture' to execute people for freedom of speech, thus we have no right to interfere.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:56:25 UTC | #916852

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 4 by Alan4discussion

Comment 2 by aroundtown

The Saudi Government are the true criminals in this case.

But they have something known as "oil well absolution" which trumps all moral issues in international politics!

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:01:29 UTC | #916854

papa lazaru's Avatar Comment 5 by papa lazaru

BLASPHEMY!!!!

BLASPHEMYAAARGHGAARGHH!!!

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:14:03 UTC | #916857

ridelo's Avatar Comment 6 by ridelo

One of the reasons they can do that is we're so hooked up on oil. Would a vacation on a bike in stead of taking a plane help?

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:16:35 UTC | #916858

ANTIcarrot's Avatar Comment 7 by ANTIcarrot

But he didn't reject Islam! Read the origonal tweets. Apparently aposticy not only covers rejecting Islam, but worshiping islam in a different way. This appears to be a trumpted up charge even by middle east standards.

Now the various sects of Islam have on occasion squabbled with each other, but I believe this is the first time in a while that a major islamic government has publically attacked another sect for being different to them. Which may be his best chance. This may be a road that even Saudia Arabia will not want to go down.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:18:44 UTC | #916860

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 8 by Peter Grant

Seriously, fuck Mohammed, this is ridiculous!

Please RT.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:22:32 UTC | #916861

Shamit's Avatar Comment 9 by Shamit

why would he run to a muslim country?

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:26:37 UTC | #916863

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 10 by Richard Dawkins

How longingly I fantasise about the dream day when scientists find a cheap substitute for oil and Saudi Arabia's economic clout drops back to a level appropriate to its barbarity.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:27:47 UTC | #916864

Paula Kirby's Avatar Comment 11 by Paula Kirby

One of the speakers at a Science Festival that I organised last year was an expert in oil and renewable energies, and made this astonishing remark:

If you were to combine the GNP of Kuwait, Iraq, Iran, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Oman and then take out the proportion that comes from oil ... they would be left with the equivalent of the GNP of Denmark.

The reality is that within the next 50 years or so, whatever oil still remains in the Middle East is going to be too expensive or too dangerous to extract. So there are going to be huge changes in that region, huge changes in power and wealth and influence - and huge instabilities, too, as a result. I suspect it's not going to be a pretty process.

If the region is to survive successfully, it seems it is going to have to adopt a completely new way of thinking, where the source of its revenue is concerned. It would be wonderful to think that new ways of thinking in economics and energy might lead to new ways of thinking in other aspects of their societies too. But the fear has to be that economic uncertainty will push them in the other direction: the direction of even greater fundamentalism, and even greater barbarity.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:03:30 UTC | #916872

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 12 by AtheistEgbert

Our addiction to oil in the west is a disgrace. We've done little to build clean alternatives, and our nuclear industries are terribly corrupt, putting profit before people or safety.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:07:02 UTC | #916875

potteryshard's Avatar Comment 13 by potteryshard

Why is it that Islamic governments are delighted to pander to the howling mobs?

Is it because said governments are afraid of their own people? Or is it because the governments are the mobs?

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:26:03 UTC | #916881

BowDownToGizmo's Avatar Comment 14 by BowDownToGizmo

What you need is everyone in Malaysia to retweet his exact tweets.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:38:25 UTC | #916886

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 15 by Tyler Durden

Comment 10 by Richard Dawkins :

What if these scientists are Saudi?

(gets coat...)

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:39:55 UTC | #916887

ColdThinker's Avatar Comment 16 by ColdThinker

Comment 9 by Shamit :

why would he run to a muslim country?

I was wondering about that too. Horrible as this extradition is, it was fairly predictable. Was it perhaps too difficult to ge a flight directly from Saudi Arabia to a non-muslim country? Or is it so that islam really has such a strong cultural hold on people like Kashgari that fleeing to a safe ( i.e. non-muslim country) was not a choice for him?

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:40:36 UTC | #916888

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 17 by Steve Zara

Comment 11 by Paula Kirby

My understanding is that oil reserves in the Middle East are indeed going to become uneconomical pretty soon.

Many of the actions needed to deal with the threat of global warming are the same actions that will be needed to cope with declining oil reserves - such as increased efficiency and development alternative energy supplies.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:42:55 UTC | #916889

ccr5Delta32's Avatar Comment 18 by ccr5Delta32

If anyone is wondering what all the fuss is about this was the tweet Mr. Kashgari wrote to the Prophet.

“I have loved things about you and I have hated things about you and there is a lot I don’t understand about you. I will not pray for you.”

This apparently warrants a death penalty

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 15:40:36 UTC | #916898

peter mayhew's Avatar Comment 19 by peter mayhew

To blaspheme is a human right.....if the word human means anything at all.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 15:43:11 UTC | #916899

inquisador's Avatar Comment 20 by inquisador

This is a case of Saudi definitions of blasphemy becoming accepted more widely. An unfortunate result of pandering and acceptance of the ideas being broadcast by the OIC.

The fact that Interpol can be used by the Saudi fanatics to help to apply their insane laws and capture one harmless tweeter for them is astonishing.

Why would they allow themselves to be used like that?

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 15:44:05 UTC | #916900

debonnesnouvelles's Avatar Comment 21 by debonnesnouvelles

Comment 16 by ColdThinker :

don't worry about that now. or does anyone think he made things difficult for himself on purpose so he would be sent back to that hellhole which awaits him now? come on... his escape went pear-shaped.

now the question is what to do to help him. I just wrote to Avaaz hoping they will rustle up a quick internet appeal to get a good number of people putting pressure on.

but i am sure lots of you will come up with much better ideas!!! let us know...

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 15:47:53 UTC | #916901

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 22 by Richard Dawkins

According to one expert that I have spoken to, shale oil and gas will make the Western Hemisphere independent of barbarian oil in the next few decades. Not Europe unfortunately, but I wonder whether genetically engineered micro-organisms, as pioneered by Craig Venter and others, might do the trick.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:16:08 UTC | #916905

yanquetino's Avatar Comment 23 by yanquetino

Makes me curious... so how many forum members here have purchased or reserved an electric car?

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:19:16 UTC | #916906

ColdThinker's Avatar Comment 24 by ColdThinker

Comment 21 by debonnesnouvelles :

Comment 16 by ColdThinker :

I'm sure your heart is in the right place. Action to help him is certainly needed, as we we all wish he survives this ordeal. And I'm sure he didn't intentionally seek extradition to Saudi Arabia.

But it's not your place to tell me what to worry about and what not. I just happen to find it baffling how people are sometimes so tied to the mental cages of their cultural background (religion, country, language, traditions) that they risk their lives for it. Whether this was such a case, I don't know, but it was an honest question.

However, I don't wish to derail the thread, so I better leave it at that.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:23:04 UTC | #916909

Steven Mading's Avatar Comment 25 by Steven Mading

Comment 22 by Richard Dawkins :

One problem with shale oil is that some of the biggest reserves of it are sitting underneath Canadian forests, and getting to it in large enough quantities to matter economically requires strip mining. So basically, to use it you have to reduce foliage and thereby decrease the Earth's ability to scrub the CO2 out of the atmosphere, thereby making global warming worse. Its a bit like Brasil's experiments with biofuels which sound wonderful until you realize that they're cutting into the Amazon rainforest to make the space to farm the crops that supply it.

I don't think shale oil is a long-term solution.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:27:14 UTC | #916910

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 26 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 23 by yanquetino

They are totally unaffordable to us people living on welfare and they are not offered as an option on the "Motability" car scheme.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:29:28 UTC | #916911

jel's Avatar Comment 27 by jel

I am disgusted with the malaysian (the lack of a capital is deliberate, it is an insult, which is all that malaysia deserves) authorities over this, they have sent this man back to his death. There is no chance that he will receive a fair trial, his guilt has already been established. Along with many others here I look forward to the day when we are no longer dependant on oil.

As for an electric car, it is out of my price range. If I had £25,000 to spend, I would not spend it on a car.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:50:11 UTC | #916913

danable's Avatar Comment 28 by danable

Please contact your governments and the UN Human eights Council. Telephone: +41 22 917 9656 Mail: civilsociety@ohchr.org We must pressure them to intervene!

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:10:52 UTC | #916914

BowDownToGizmo's Avatar Comment 29 by BowDownToGizmo

Comment 23 by yanquetino :

I go one further and cycle only (no car). I know this option isn't workable for everyone, but works well in London and if you can give it a try, it does wonders for the conscience when issues such as this (Energy security), global warming, congestion or pollution are raised.

I just happen to look fantastic in Lycra too ;)

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:11:13 UTC | #916916

danable's Avatar Comment 30 by danable

Comment 1 by debonnesnouvelles :

what can we do to support this man?

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:13:17 UTC | #916918