← But you cannot shut us up

But you cannot shut us up - Comments

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 1 by aquilacane

Fuck ya!

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:39:47 UTC | #916931

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 2 by Border Collie

I'm very surprised that the J & M writers haven't been fatwa'ed. Seems like everybody else has.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:55:05 UTC | #916937

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 3 by Mr DArcy

I say! That's a bit strident, now ain't it? You're goin' to be laughin' at my scriptures? Now where did I leave the bloody things? Bloody atheists distractin' me all the bloody time! Shoot the lot of 'em, I say!

[$-$]

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:00:31 UTC | #916938

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 4 by aroundtown

Sounds like good advice to me. Be that uncomfortable rock that finds it's way into you shoe type of annoying. If they don't like it that their goofy beliefs get exposed that's to bad. We've had to put up with their nonsense far too long.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:33:06 UTC | #916949

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 5 by prettygoodformonkeys

Yes! Wish I was there; the least I can do is put some J&M on my facebook page........

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:42:42 UTC | #916950

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 6 by strangebrew

OP

Or you can respond in kind with ridicule and laughter of your own.

Point of order...Theistic cretins have NO conception of humour...full-stop!

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:48:46 UTC | #916960

potteryshard's Avatar Comment 7 by potteryshard

What we need are some good atheistic hymns so that we can burst out in song whenever a touch of good sense breaks out.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 20:12:36 UTC | #916966

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 8 by aquilacane

Comment 6 by strangebrew

Point of order...Theistic cretins have NO conception of humour...full-stop!

You're asking them to have a laugh at their stupidity. Not the occasional kind, the all the time kind. Our worst characteristic appears to be stridency. "You're too strident!" "Oh, you can be so right some times. Ha, ha... you got me." As apposed to, "You're too stupid!" "Oh!..." (with a hushed) "Asshole, I'll fucking show you stupid."

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 20:20:51 UTC | #916969

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 9 by Alan4discussion

Comment 6 by strangebrew

OP - Or you can respond in kind with ridicule and laughter of your own.

Point of order...Theistic cretins have NO conception of humour...full-stop!

Yes! .... But they don't need a sense of humour to make hilarious claims.

There is intentional humour from people with a senses of humour, and then there is unintentional humour from an unintentional straight man who can't see the funny side of his claims!

Jesus & Mo make some very telling funny made-up comments - but some of the same comments are often made by straight-faced-serious-looking theists! - Hilarious!!! (Check the irony meters)

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 21:25:24 UTC | #916984

Daryl 's Avatar Comment 10 by Daryl

Using humor on religious zealots is a complete waste of time. Like all of us, they can be good or bad, loud or soft (well mostly loud), but one thing they can't be, and never ever will be, is funny.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 21:36:21 UTC | #916988

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 11 by Alan4discussion

Comment 10 by Daryl

but one thing they can't be, and never ever will be, is funny.

Maybe in a church with a respectful audience!

But you can't have seen some of our local street preachers having a hell-fire fit when some of us (who do have a sense of humour) have set the crowd away laughing at them!

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 21:55:09 UTC | #916995

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 12 by Agrajag

In the end, there is only one solution available to those who don’t want their beliefs to be laughed at: stop believing funny things.

Actually, there is one other solution: keep your funny beliefs to yourself. Same net result.
Steve

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 21:57:17 UTC | #916996

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 13 by Starcrash

I love this statement. Thank you, Maryam Namazie, for defending free speech. Speech provides education, and education leads us to the truth... yes, even wrong ideas lead us to the truth, if they are allowed to be exposed to criticism. When everyone's input is allowed, we all become a little less wrong.

I'm not a fundie, but the closest I'll ever come to fundamentalism is my belief that free speech is always a positive thing. If someone wants to convince me that I'm wrong, I don't even know how they'd go about it without taking advantage of their freedom of speech.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 22:22:20 UTC | #917002

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 14 by TIKI AL

Has anyone found coverage of the Vatican's "Darwin Day Mass" posted? I hear it was standing room only.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 22:29:21 UTC | #917004

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 15 by rod-the-farmer

I think most countries have laws against disturbing religious ceremonies. Wait, marriages might be the exception - see "The Graduate". Not that evolution is a religion, of course., despite what some of the ignorant say. Plus it might be especially dangerous to interrupt prayers in a mosque. Maybe even some of the fundamental xtian sects.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of mosque ceremonies are held in the local language, so that non-muslims could at least attend quietly and understand what is being said. If they asked to attend, I wonder what would be the response ? Anyone up for a direct offer to debate with the local clerics ? Hmm. One can easily imagine that personal safety might be at risk.

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 23:17:32 UTC | #917016

StephenH's Avatar Comment 16 by StephenH

Thanks for the Pod Delusion

The audio of the speeches was a pleasure to listen to

This chap, called Chuck Doswell, main area is severe weather, but does share his thoughts on religion as well

A need for rational thinking

Excellent article

Applause, not holding disbelief from within, but openly express it

It's like an atheist revolution

Sun, 12 Feb 2012 23:48:19 UTC | #917022

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 17 by AtheistEgbert

But you cannot shut us up.

But that is exactly what the British state is doing, with their hate speech laws and their plans for creating their own human rights bill.

Don't take your freedoms for granted, they're disappearing more each day. Liberty should be the core value of the atheist movement, before anything else.

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 00:31:09 UTC | #917032

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 18 by mjwemdee

Well, I've been trawling http://www.christian-jokes.org/ and haven't found anything to laugh at yet...

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 00:35:41 UTC | #917033

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 19 by Agrajag

Comment 18 by mjwemdee

Someone here recently said religious people have no sense of humor, and based on that site I would agree... those "jokes" are dreadful. There are some decent ones HERE.
Steve

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 02:16:49 UTC | #917057

AULhall's Avatar Comment 20 by AULhall

Comment 13 by Starcrash :

Outstanding comment! Thank you for sharing.

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 03:50:37 UTC | #917079

ShadowMind's Avatar Comment 21 by ShadowMind

You can complain about us
But you cannot shut us up

Would make a brilliant atheist billboard!

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 04:12:14 UTC | #917082

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 22 by Vorlund

Comment 9 by Alan4discussion :

That's why you can't tell a Poe from a Pukka Nutter.

We need more billboard assaults on their sense of grandeur. mankind advances on free thought and free speech we don't the inertia of religious censorship.

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:57:52 UTC | #917119

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 23 by Chris Roberts

As usual, an elequent response.

There are plenty of cases where we should be offended when someone is mistreated or not respected - especially those groups that cannot adequetly fight for themselves. Children Animals Disabled people and so on.

God is not on this list.

If he/she/it does exist and is anything like what appears in holy texts, it is an entity that is more than capable of looking after itself.

So stop whining, and stop acting like spoilt little children if someone disses 'your' god, the creator of the universe is strong enough to defend itself.

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:23:15 UTC | #917124

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 24 by drumdaddy

Since you're committed to speaking out, there is a question for which I'd like the answer. Who would win in a fight between our lady of Guadalupe and our lady of Lourdes?

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:39:15 UTC | #917127

Bishopess's Avatar Comment 25 by Bishopess

'Tough question. Our Lady of Lourdes would try to drown Our lady of Guadalupe and the latter would push roses from her opponent´s throats.

Comment 24 by drumdaddy :

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:31:02 UTC | #917148

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 26 by SaganTheCat

our lady of fatima kick both their asses, she can make the sun vanish, she's the chuck norris of magic virgins

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:20:01 UTC | #917156

Tony d's Avatar Comment 27 by Tony d

As atheist's we have realised that there is no evidence supporting the idea that a God of any kind exists.Let alone a God of any one specific religion.

Because we are aware of this, i feel we have a moral obligation to pass our scepticism on to the believers.

It would be wrong to leave the believers at the mercy of con men who pretend they have a direct line to a God.

Atheists receive much criticism but in reality we are very noble people doing the right thing for altruistic reasons.

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:42:54 UTC | #917161

cranchie's Avatar Comment 28 by cranchie

potteryshard's Avatar Comment 7 by potteryshard

Couldn't agree more, may I suggest the following from Jethro Tull's Aqualung album, recently re-released.

"Wind-Up"

When I was young and they packed me off to school and taught me how not to play the game, I didn't mind if they groomed me for success, or if they said that I was a fool. So I left there in the morning with their God tucked underneath my arm -- their half-assed smiles and the book of rules. So I asked this God a question and by way of firm reply, He said -- I'm not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays. So to my old headmaster (and to anyone who cares): before I'm through I'd like to say my prayers -- I don't believe you: you had the whole damn thing all wrong -- He's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays. Well you can excomunicate me on my way to Sunday school and have all the bishops harmonize these lines -- how do you dare tell me that I'm my Father's son when that was just an accident of Birth. I'd rather look around me -- compose a better song `cos that's the honest measure of my worth. In your pomp and all your glory you're a poorer man than me, as you lick the boots of death born out of fear. I don't believe you: you had the whole damn thing all wrong -- He's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays.

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:13:31 UTC | #917166

crucialfictionofjesus's Avatar Comment 29 by crucialfictionofjesus

"how'd you dare tell me that I'm my Father's son, when that was just an accident of Birth"

one of my favourite quotes- good lad, Ian Anderson. But did his wife write many of the song lyrics??

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:44:22 UTC | #917169

cranchie's Avatar Comment 30 by cranchie

Comment 29 by domlanic

Nah, Jennie his first wife wrote the lyrics for Aqualung based on a series of pictures she'd taken of London's homeless. All other Tull lyrics are the work of Ian Anderson.

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:06:23 UTC | #917172