← Richard Dawkins in ‘single-celled ancestor’ shock

Richard Dawkins in ‘single-celled ancestor’ shock - Comments

Quetzalcoatlus's Avatar Comment 1 by Quetzalcoatlus

Humm... I knew it! I will go back then to my old religion and my dark ages morality.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:20:53 UTC | #920337

mmurray's Avatar Comment 2 by mmurray

Many of you will have seen this by now, but it deserves to be saved for posterity!

Definitely. It's a gem.

Michael

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:31:54 UTC | #920344

Voluptua's Avatar Comment 3 by Voluptua

I shall demolish his altar and never worship him again

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:33:55 UTC | #920345

"'s Avatar Comment 4 by "

Comment 2 by mmurray :

Definitely. It's a gem.

Don't you mean "It's a germ"?

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:38:01 UTC | #920347

Until proven otherwise, I think I be waiting a while's Avatar Comment 5 by Until proven otherwise, I think I be waiting a while

oh! dear! what an UN-winnable argument!, dawkins is surely going to be quaking in his boots now ;-) haha.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:47:49 UTC | #920351

Graxan's Avatar Comment 6 by Graxan

Not a fan of tongue in cheek articles like this as they merely serve to confuse the people who don't understand that sarcasm is involved. Those who realise this is a ironic article need not be preached to as they already have the neccessary level of education. Besides it's kind of a boring and not too witty attempt in my opinion.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:58:37 UTC | #920356

Follow Peter Egan's Avatar Comment 7 by Follow Peter Egan

I won't be purchasing any more of Dawkins' books until he promises to relinquish all his slaves.

A great bit of satire, thanks for posting.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:05:12 UTC | #920358

Hume's Razor's Avatar Comment 8 by Hume's Razor

That's it! Dawkins better crucify my son for this, or I'll never forgive him for his appalling choice of ancestors!

Yaweh

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:06:31 UTC | #920359

Frode_74's Avatar Comment 9 by Frode_74

Superbly funny! Does anyone know if Lusher or anyone else at the Telegraph has made any kind of comment after their ridiculous article was published?

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:10:14 UTC | #920361

pwuk's Avatar Comment 10 by pwuk

Comment 4 by chimpious :

Comment 2 by mmurray :

Definitely. It's a gem.

Don't you mean "It's a germ"?

Germline you mean

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:20:34 UTC | #920365

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 11 by Vorlund

Very funny bit of satire.

I wonder what the telegraph team have been inhaling?

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:21:29 UTC | #920366

some asshole's Avatar Comment 12 by some asshole

@ Comment 6 by Graxan:

Anyone who doesn't recognize the satire is a lost cause to begin with.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:26:01 UTC | #920368

sbooder's Avatar Comment 13 by sbooder

I believe most monks are still single celled organisms, except for the ones that share a dormitory of course.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:47:15 UTC | #920371

AgriculturalAtheist's Avatar Comment 14 by AgriculturalAtheist

Would such a person be likely to be browsing through this site to begin with?

Comment 12 by some asshole :

@ Comment 6 by Graxan:

Anyone who doesn't recognize the satire is a lost cause to begin with.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:52:56 UTC | #920372

gwolf's Avatar Comment 15 by gwolf

He who stirs the sulfurous extremophiles shall reap a stink of criticism!

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:00:00 UTC | #920378

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 16 by Alan4discussion

Comment 11 by Vorlund

Very funny bit of satire.

I wonder what the telegraph team have been inhaling?

Obviously - Sulphur and tar-fumes from telegraph poles! How else can they breathe out hell-fire!

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:06:15 UTC | #920379

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 17 by aroundtown

Loved it. I guess it goes along the lines on the religious tale that we are all guilty by virtue of the original sin of the extremophile. How dare that one extremophile that broke ranks and evolved which subjected us to our present condition.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:12:11 UTC | #920380

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 18 by aquilacane

regarding: Comment 6 by Graxan

You're worse than me

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:14:00 UTC | #920381

foundationist's Avatar Comment 19 by foundationist

Comment 7 by Follow Peter Egan :

You think not buying his books is enough? I think that slavery by association should be punished more severely: I'm going to illegally download his stuff and then delete the files! That`ll teach him to have ancestors.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:42:56 UTC | #920389

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 20 by Starcrash

I knew Dawkins' work was biased! He praises evolution because there is some of it in his ancestry. But forget about his history... he himself wrote about selfish genes because he has them! Clearly we can't believe anything that he has to say on this topic.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:06:04 UTC | #920397

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 21 by Agrajag

I think not!
Steve

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:13:47 UTC | #920399

quarecuss's Avatar Comment 22 by quarecuss

I suspected all along that the fiery, strident Dawkins had brimstone in his ancestry. It is hoped that these revelations will stop him Darwin-book thumping.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:51:49 UTC | #920414

Zeuglodon's Avatar Comment 23 by Zeuglodon

Prominent atheist Richard Dawkins has been hit by fresh scandal today after it emerged his ancestors were single-celled organisms who metabolised sulphur.

Yawn. Old news. We already know all our ancestors were single-celled. Unless you've been living in a cave for the last few decades, you'd know this was pretty much a confirmed fact in biology. Besides, it's up to the single-celled organisms whether they want to smoke or not.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:01:54 UTC | #920418

William T. Dawkins's Avatar Comment 24 by William T. Dawkins

I have been considering looking up the history of the Lusher family. Who knows what one may find?

William

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:13:49 UTC | #920421

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 25 by Carl Sai Baba

Things were different, and maybe it was OK to metabolize sulfur back then. And f#ck Sam Harris if he thinks otherwise.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:21:18 UTC | #920422

jsaint's Avatar Comment 26 by jsaint

Well, add to that the fact his ggggggreatgrandfather used an outhouse hole. I'm appalled that Richard Dawkins thereby obviously denies the existence of indoor plumbing. Seriously, RD, we have your back on this!

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:27:44 UTC | #920423

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 27 by rod-the-farmer

I think we should start raising funds to buy the freedom of The Dawkins Slaves......

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:45:59 UTC | #920429

Obi wan kolobi's Avatar Comment 28 by Obi wan kolobi

Next thing you know, we'll find out that Dawkins is nothing more than a colony of bacteria.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:54:46 UTC | #920433

Ornicar's Avatar Comment 29 by Ornicar

Worse : Richard Dawkins' great-great-great-grand-father was a Christian.

That prooves evolution, somehow.

He traded slaves and was a Christian, mind you.

Well, one of my forefathers might have been a bishop, a monk or even a pope. But that, we'll never know.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:59:30 UTC | #920436

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 30 by Alan4discussion

Comment 21 by Agrajag

There must have been a lot of sinful behavior in that primordial soup. Can it be a mere coincidence that there is only one letter difference between "ancestor" and "incestor"? I think not!

Masses of horizontal genetic exchanges with multiple partners!

Sinful !!!!! - No respect for Xtian marriage!

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:07:50 UTC | #920439