← Graham Not Sold on Obama’s Christianity, Santorum Warned of Satan in 2008

Graham Not Sold on Obama’s Christianity, Santorum Warned of Satan in 2008 - Comments

Elisabeth Cornwell's Avatar Comment 1 by Elisabeth Cornwell

For the entire speech by Mr. Santorum, go to http://mrctv.org/audio/full-santorum-speech-ave-maria-university-august-2008

It is - well - interesting.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 01:24:50 UTC | #920887

Elisabeth Cornwell's Avatar Comment 2 by Elisabeth Cornwell

If anyone can stomach it - here is Limbaugh's response: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/73176.html

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 01:39:18 UTC | #920890

MarcusA1971's Avatar Comment 3 by MarcusA1971

"Interesting" in the same way that sticking broken shards of glass up one's arse and lying in a bath tub filled with tabasco sauce is "fun?"

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 01:40:57 UTC | #920891

Sample's Avatar Comment 4 by Sample

Since the winds of political weather are as predictable as a bag of runes, let me throw out my opinion. This Rick is weak, weaker than the Rick from Texas in fact. For all his bravado in linking America's ills with a spiritual dimension, Santorum nevertheless claims he won't impose his personal views publically. I think he's a talker. He exudes all the confidence of a school crossing guard (or lollipop man in the UK). I just can't envision him winning over our country.

Newt Gingrich however, remains the most dangerous candidate fielded so far, in my opinion. He's a doer. And he's been very clear about wanting to overturn secular policy to match his private religious convictions. I hope he's truly out of the contest at this point, but I'm still nervous.

Well, I make no claim to be an expert analyst, just my rough opinion.

Mike

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 02:00:48 UTC | #920897

RDfan's Avatar Comment 5 by RDfan

“He [Satan] didn’t have much success in the early days. Our foundation was very strong, in fact, is very strong. But over time, that great, acidic quality of time corrodes even the strongest foundations. And Satan has done so by attacking the great institutions of America, using those great vices of pride, vanity, and sensuality as the root to attack all of the strong plants that has so deeply rooted in the American tradition.”

Emphasis added.

So, hold up! Is Santorum blaming Time or the Devil for America's decline? He seems to be blaming both. Are we to take it that Time is in league with Satan now? (Answers on a E-card; thanks).

Talking of Obama: I had the distinct feeling, based on what he wrote in his pre-presidential-candidate memoir (Dreams From My Father, a book he wrote when he was about 33 yrs old) that he was an agnostic leaning on atheist. Given that both his parents were atheist/agnostic, even though the dad wasn't really in the picture, and considering Obama's multi-faith, multi-national upbringing and general intelligence and love of science, it would not surprise me if he was a non-sky-daddy-lover.

Back on point: Santorum`s argumentum ab rectum (copyright susanlatimer, 2012, iirc) is very worrying indeed.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 02:07:56 UTC | #920898

some asshole's Avatar Comment 6 by some asshole

I can't explain how abidingly I despise these people. It's quote time. This will be fun.

I don’t believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute.

That was Rick Santorum in November, 2010.

Santorum spoke last week in regard to the president’s controversial mandate requiring employers to provide insurance that offers co-pay-free birth control. Santorum argued that this imposed a way of thinking on religious people that ran counter to their beliefs.

Santorum continued on that vein this weekend, saying, “It is imposing his ideology on a group of people expressing their theology, their moral code, and saying the government will force you to do what your faith says is gravely wrong.”

Let's follow that line of thought. Say some Christians take to heart the advice in the buy-bull to stone to death children who disrespect their parents. Santorum seems to be saying that government has no right to forbid them from brutally murdering their children. That must be the case, because forbidding the murder of recalcitrant children would be "imposing ... ideology on a group of people expressing their theology, their moral code, and saying the government will force you to do what your faith says is gravely wrong.” (Letting the children get away with it would be "gravely wrong", because hey, the buy-bull forbids their behavior and prescribes a punishment in no uncertain terms.)

In fact, Santorum seems to be saying that your private theology enables you to do whatever you want. This isn't hyperbole; it's his own words.

So, by extension, the many Muslim nutballs who feel that their holey book obliges them to blow infidels to red mist must not be impeded.

Why don't the Democrats play the righty game and sling that kind of filth right back at these scumbags?

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 02:14:47 UTC | #920901

zengardener's Avatar Comment 7 by zengardener

Why should anyone care what Franklin Graham thinks?

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 03:36:42 UTC | #920915

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 8 by KRKBAB

"Likewise with homosexuality, he has said he would not vote for a law to outlaw homosexual behavior"- Well isn't that nice- he's a moderate right wing xtian dumb superstitious motherfucker. Even though it's doubtful he will become the next American President, the fact remains that people of this ilk can actually be considered as candidates by a large mass of people (sheeple).

I've all but lost hope for my country. No matter how much good is being done, and how many decent secular minded people there are in the USA, there simply isn't enough to counter act the stupid.

This country is sinking and I don't think it will rise again.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 04:10:21 UTC | #920921

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 9 by Alternative Carpark

I see the "santorum" neologism campaign is still active.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 05:42:39 UTC | #920930

glenister_m's Avatar Comment 10 by glenister_m

They were saying on the radio this morning that a recent poll showed that none of the potential Republican candidates have any chance of winning against Obama. I am not surprised. With 300 million people is that selection of candidates really the best they can do?

Personally I'm disappointed with Obama, as he doesn't seem to have the guts to stand up to his opponents, and tends to compromise too easily. However as one other person said months ago: "I look at the economy and think there is no way Obama can win; then I look at the Republican candidates and think there is no way he can't."

Ralph Nader really should run in this election...

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 06:27:34 UTC | #920938

Karen Hill Anton's Avatar Comment 11 by Karen Hill Anton

Rick Sanctified is a frustrated "wish-I-were-a-priest-but-enjoy-sex-too-much-and-feel-guilty-about-it-so-I-must-be-holier-than-thou-at-least-holier-than-Newt" idiot.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 06:34:05 UTC | #920939

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 12 by Premiseless

This reminds you that those who rely on fiction have no limit to their innovation about how next to remould bullshit. Yet still it smells the same!

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:30:30 UTC | #920977

Hobomidget's Avatar Comment 13 by Hobomidget

In America we stopped taking religion so seriously after bush tanked the country. We are not worried about Obama's religion as much as we are plainly scared with santorums.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:56:44 UTC | #920989

Tony d's Avatar Comment 14 by Tony d

@Comment 1 by Elisabeth Cornwell

Thank you very much for the clip.It shows Mr. Santorum,is in a whole different league of bat shit crazy.

I feel relieved i mean after that surly the American people are not going to elect him to anything ?

They wouldn't would they?

I mean, who would feel happy about that ?

No No way.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:40:26 UTC | #920995

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 15 by strangebrew

One thing is for damn sure...not one of them will be a success for either the USA or the rest of the World!

Each one is a dangerously imbecilic ignorant cretin to a candidate...there will be no winners here except brain dead religiotards.

Science will die...literally die in America if any one of these stains on humanity get the green light. Social care will be over..as will be any health measures for the poor and education will be a very sick and twisted joke. What rationality remains will be stifled and a very dark dismal and religiously dominated social economic and cultural atmosphere will be mandatory.

The states will be isolated, there will be few rushing to to be associated with such utter nonsense...except the RCC of course.

But even then there will be internecine warfare b'twixt 'n' b'tween the different xian cults vying for who is holiest, who is most homophobic, who is the most patriarchal, and who has the most hatred for foreigners.

Faith based murder will be ignored and policy will favour the rich and privileged...

It will be a very public act of mass suicide by a once great country.

The resulting theocracy will be brutal and vicious...believe it, they have a revenge on a secular attitude beyond anything remotely human in their hearts.

You can almost taste it!...it is evil...very!

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:11:13 UTC | #921000

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 16 by AtheistEgbert

What we need to do is form a secular political party, not for the purpose of winning, but for the purpose of explaining to the masses what secularism actually stands for, so that the masses do not vote in tyrants who will end their freedoms.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:45:50 UTC | #921010

foundationist's Avatar Comment 17 by foundationist

Comment 1 by Elisabeth Cornwell :

It is - well - interesting.

Interesting is the word. What is also scary is the number of positive comments. As far as I can see mrc tv is not decidedly a forum of the religious right, so I´m really shocked how many people really would like to have a US president who is fantazising about some sort of supernatural war.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:54:30 UTC | #921012

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 18 by strangebrew

Comment 17 by foundationist

That is all that needs to be understood against such a rationale.

Fantasizing about rapture and demons and devils and Hell and angels and fucking bogeymen...at the bottom of a very bog infested garden.

That in the 21st century should be warning enough that these folk are mentally damaged beyond help...they are psychopathic in their insane beliefs...one begets the other.

Any country that willingly puts these utter morons into a position where they have their finger on the button of literal Armageddon will get themselves a self fulfilling prophecy beyond their widest wet dreams.

These mentally retarded dingbats have no self control and even less intelligence...oh they have strategy and ideas on manipulation...they even have a vision. But they have absolutely no conception of what is real and what is not! What strategy, manipulation and vision they have is whispered into their sad excuse for minds by a chemical imbalance that coincidentally is responsible for paranoid schizophrenia.

A very dangerous and stupid action of a morally defunct society will be probably the last such action any of us would be aware of...The likes of Palin would sooner nuke Iran...Russia...North Korea...if someone pointed it out on a map for her...Pakistan...China...even Europe if she thought it would advance the crusade for jeebus..U betcha!

They have little belief in the MAD scenario...after all they have all the toys...don't they?...and the USA is honour bound to flex military muscle for jeebus, how could that possibly go wrong with god on their side?...and all the devils and demons on the other !

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:47:11 UTC | #921028

Sensible's Avatar Comment 19 by Sensible

And they call Ahmadinejad a grave danger? Wait 'till one of these wingnuts are allowed their finger on the nuclear button. Scary!

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:06:55 UTC | #921044

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 20 by drumdaddy

Graham, Falwell, Robertson and their hordes of henchmen have been carrying water for imperialist corporate movers for decades. They are the cancer, we are radiation treatment.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:09:17 UTC | #921046

stellier68's Avatar Comment 21 by stellier68

Poor Born-Again Americans...Their daily life must be hell (litterally): their President is Liberrul, Black and has a foreign-sounding name. Must be lucifer disguised.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:57:43 UTC | #921065

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 22 by TheLordHumungus

I don't know Franklin Graham, and I don't know what goes on in his mind. I see him with his wife and kids, but I have to just assume that he is not gay. I can't for sure, but I will assume he is not. <- This is the same reasoning he uses against Obama. PATHETIC.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:07:53 UTC | #921068

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 23 by irate_atheist

Comment 22 by TheLordHumungus >

In the style of the Hitch, I'm just setting my stopwatch.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:42:19 UTC | #921078

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 24 by Starcrash

Comment 1 by Elisabeth Cornwell :

It is - well - interesting.

Comment 2 by Elisabeth Cornwell :

Thanks for sharing these links. I've never actually heard Santorum speak, and it shouldn't surprise me that he's so eloquent --- but he is. However, I just couldn't listen all the way through... it was frustrating. I was hoping he'd make a case for his attacks against Obama and against secularists, but instead he just asserts things with confidence (probably expecting that his audience doesn't need evidence).

The comments on Politico were filled with vitriol and anger --- but were clearly on our side (for the majority of them). I wish I could've heard Limbaugh's actual words on this issue, too, because it's hard to say based on the article whether he made a case for Santorum's comments, either.

They're both so certain of Satan's existence, but I don't believe I've ever heard anyone try to make a positive proof for such a thing. Can anyone point me out to a debate over Satan's existence (or a case made in favor of it)?

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:12:49 UTC | #921094

Revenant77x's Avatar Comment 25 by Revenant77x

Ahh the comedy of farce continues. The funny thing right now is the Dems want Ricky to win cause it'd be a slam dunk for Obama, who btw I belive to be agnostic/atheist just a christy for political convenince. Last 2 weeks or so the GOP has really shown it's true face in VA and in the presidentail campaign. At this point I'm wondering why a political party seems so intent on suicide by chasing the most far extreme of dogma that 90% of their own base does not support (ie anti-birth-control state mandated rape ect)

Now the fascinating thing to me is the fact that the GOP seems to be spliting at the seams into 3 parties, the eastern corporate repubs that dont care about the socail stuff, the evangelicals that dont care about the tax rate on the billionares but want to be in everyones bedroom making sure we dont do anything their skyfairy forbids (but that they secretly would love to do) and the rabid "Tea Party" that has no clue what the actual reality is but want their country back by which they mean the right to live under a white president.

For people worried about Newt dont he will never gain enough suporot cause he is a national joke as for Ricky he lost his last election as an incumbent senator by 18% he's too off the wall crazy to gain anything. And that brings us to Willard Mittens Romeny he's got no firm positions on anything. So all in all I think we have another 4 years of Obama who's not perfect and in my mind is practicaly a moderate republican back from when they still allowed moderates in thier party. Lesser of all evils I suppose.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:53:49 UTC | #921116

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 26 by Vorlund

Comment 24 by Starcrash :

From the far side: One bogey man to t'other said "I've told you before there are no such things as humans on top of the bed!"

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:06:00 UTC | #921130

The Jersey Devil's Avatar Comment 27 by The Jersey Devil

The problem with Santorum's take on Satan is that it allows him to demonize the people that disagree with him. The opposition is not only wrong, they are in league with the greatest power of evil in the whole universe.

Of course, it's a nutty position that I believe has been discredited in the US. I hope I'm right about that.

I'll confess there is a part of me that hopes Santorum gets the Republican nomination. I believe he'll get crushed in the GE in November and that a lot of his position will be discredited in the process.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:42:51 UTC | #921152

Daryl 's Avatar Comment 28 by Daryl

I posted on my Facebook page that Obama's appropriate answer to this should be, "Franklin who?"

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:50:33 UTC | #921159

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 29 by Tyler Durden

Comment 25 by Revenant77x :

Having never even heard of Richard John "Rick" Santorum until he joined the 2012 Republican Party presidential nomination process, I'm curious how he ever got elected to congress to represent the state of Pennsylvania in the first place.

Yes, he eventually lost his seat in the US Senate in 2006, to a Democrat, by a whopping 18-points, but he (a) got elected in 1994, and (b) was then re-eleceted in 2000.

He may well be "off the wall crazy" but not so crazy that the people of Pennsylvania wouldn't vote him in to office, twice.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:57:03 UTC | #921165

Kalex's Avatar Comment 30 by Kalex

I saw this quote from Obama the other day (see below). For all his pandering to the religious at least he understands the separation of church and state...

"Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal rather than religion-specific values... it requires that their proposals be subject to argument and amenable to reason.

Now, I may be opposed to abortion for religious reasons, to take one example, but if I seek to pass a law banning the practice I cannot simply point to the teachings of my church or evoke God's will. I have to explain why abortion violates some principle that is accessible to people of all faiths, including those with no faith at all."

• Barack Obama