← Mormons baptize Holocaust victim Anne Frank posthumously, says report

Mormons baptize Holocaust victim Anne Frank posthumously, says report - Comments

Andrew B.'s Avatar Comment 1 by Andrew B.

Why don't we unbaptise her? I'll need a new wizard hat and some candles.

Or, if you're even more mischievous, head on over to this website.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:10:24 UTC | #921187

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 2 by Ignorant Amos

Mormons believe posthumous baptism by proxy allows deceased persons to receive the Gospel in the afterlife. The church believes departed souls can then accept or reject the baptismal rites and contends the offerings are not intended to offend anyone.

I'm sorry, but this has me in stitches. The tears are tripping me here. Hilarity of the highest order, it trumps 'magic underpants' by a long chalk in absurdity.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:17:34 UTC | #921189

ccr5Delta32's Avatar Comment 3 by ccr5Delta32

Maybe one day we'll all be mormons posthumously baptized

You'll never get me alive mormon !

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:26:42 UTC | #921191

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 4 by Steve Zara

Comment 2 by Ignorant Amos

I'm a bit puzzled. You see, if someone needs the Gospel in the afterlife, isn't it a bit late? I mean, you are either up there, or down in the other place, aren't you?

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:38:02 UTC | #921193

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 5 by Ivan The Not So Bad

You can get your own back by using this website to make a dead Mormon gay:

All Dead Mormons Are Now Gay

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:42:26 UTC | #921194

Zeuglodon's Avatar Comment 6 by Zeuglodon

Not satisfied with trying to swell their ranks among the living, now they're going after the deceased as well. Their logic is hogwash, their motives unsupported by any serious thinking on how real life would work, their presumption mere wishful thinking - wild and unfounded - their deception cowardly, and their methods are to take advantage of people who no longer have any way of making reparation. Is there no end to their oily self-serving depravity?

Pardon my intemperate-sounding language, but I remember reading Anne Frank's diary and I was deeply moved by what I read. I had a nasty shock when I saw the headline with her name in it.

I had a look at the link. Here's a highly revealing sentence:

Negotiations between Mormon and Jewish leaders led to a 1995 agreement for the church to stop the posthumous baptism of all Jews, except in the case of direct ancestors of Mormons, but Radkey says she found that some Mormons had failed to adhere to the agreement.

I'm starting to see the importance of Richard's plea not to assume family descendants are automatically the same religion as their parents. This assumption has got to be held up where everyone can see it.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:42:51 UTC | #921195

fuzzylogic's Avatar Comment 7 by fuzzylogic

50% of me doesn't give a shit about this stuff because a) the person is dead and doesn't know about it and b) it obviously doesn't do anything. The other 50% is seriously offended at the arrogance and disrespect for their beliefs while living.

In the Mormon church you aren't baptized until 8 years old because they believe you should have some semlbance of responsibility and awareness and choose to take that plunge. I find that actually quite enlightened (though, waiting till 16 or so would be better). So how do the same people with this philosophy take that choice away from people and do it after death?

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:46:09 UTC | #921196

RomeStu's Avatar Comment 8 by RomeStu

Comment 4 by Steve Zara :

Steve, you've fallen into the obvious trap of applying logic and reason (albeit based on their own crazy ideas) to their statements.

Please don't think. Just believe......

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:55:21 UTC | #921202

tboulay's Avatar Comment 9 by tboulay

There's kinda 2 things about this.. on the one hand it's as meaningless as me saying that I declare Hitler a posthumous Jew. It's just stupidity plain and simple.

However Hitchens had a bit of a different view on this, in that it was the mormon answer to the question of what happens to all the people who died before jesus ever got here; ie. do christians believe that a human who died before christ was born have to spend eternity in hell even though they never got the chance to 'accept him' as their saviour?

If you look at it that way, it's like they're saying that people who died without ever knowing what they're religion was won't be punished for not knowing; because they'll baptise you into it.

Anyway; regardless of that - them doing it, and others saying they shouldn't be allowd to is almost like kids playing lord of the rings or something "I cast a charm spell on you.. ; oh no you don't I'm wearing my anti charm bracelet and my reflect charm glasses so you get hit with your own spell"

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:56:24 UTC | #921205

Philster61's Avatar Comment 10 by Philster61

Why would she need to be baptized? She was Jewish.....

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:57:43 UTC | #921206

rationalmind's Avatar Comment 11 by rationalmind

Comment 2 by Ignorant Amos :

All of mor(m)onisnm is like this. It is barking mad. It is actually a good thing in someways because it is illustrative of religion's power to convince the ignorant. There is an interesting video of Richard Dawkins discussing it in the context of Mitt Romney here They note in that discussion that Joseph Smith was a convicted con-man. ( You really couldn't make it up!) And that he wrote in 17th Century English. The missing point here is that it is bad 17th Century English. Smith would mix up thou( singular) with Ye( plural) and use forms like "thou rememberETH" when it should be "thou rememberEST" .

Another favourite example of mine is the Book of Abraham which Smith translated from an Egyptian papyrus. It still exists. They now can be translated and it is a funeral document dedicated to the god Horus.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:07:12 UTC | #921211

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 12 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 4 by Steve Zara

Well according to the Mormons it's the 'ordinance' of baptism that gets ya into the Kingdom of God. The gospel of Jesus is probably automatically uploaded via spiritual interface. You know the sort of thing, you've discussed it enough on here. It's easy when immaterial minds are involved and of course, Gods will.

So some bozo has to be immersed by proxy for the dead person, not previously baptised, to get the choice of whether or not to move on to the man in the sky and a mansion for all. I guess they think all those that are not baptised are in a state of limbo. All those needy souls throughout the history of mankind, wandering about in need of a place to be. Those poor souls that died anonymously are going to be well fecked for eternity.

Perhaps they can be blanket baptised under the pseudonym's of John/Jane Doe.

I'm telling ya.....I fell on the floor pissing myself when I read the article. These are supposed to be adults with at the very least semi literate intellects. A man that may one day have the potential to blow us all to kingdom come, believes this shite.....we're fucked.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:13:44 UTC | #921212

Metamag's Avatar Comment 13 by Metamag

This is why evangelical nutjobs in US are pretty silent about Romney's superstition. They would just expose themselves by attacking it.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:14:01 UTC | #921213

"'s Avatar Comment 14 by "

This is sick.

I'm looking to get my Anglican baptism (I was 1 month old) officially revoked.

I might also take the precaution of writing to the Church of Jeebus Crust and the latter day frauds, and inform them that I have willed a portion of my estate to be invested as a legal fund when I die. If they dare to baptise me posthumously the fund will be used to sue them.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:15:22 UTC | #921214

boogerjames's Avatar Comment 15 by boogerjames

Sorry, but Mitt Romney's father-in-law is no longer Mormon. I saw John Stewart do a de-baptism on the Daily Show the other day. If their posthumous fake rituals count, then so do ours.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:17:22 UTC | #921218

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 16 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 11 by rationalmind

I seen the Dawkins/Krauss discussion.....I prefer how Penn Jillette puts it better.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:20:47 UTC | #921219

blitz442's Avatar Comment 17 by blitz442

Comment 11 by rationalmind

LOL! Of course, a Mormon would deny that this is the same document that Smith used.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:21:56 UTC | #921220

"'s Avatar Comment 18 by "

Comment 15 by boogerjames :

If their posthumous fake rituals count, then so do ours.

My posthumous litigation against them will definitely not be fake!

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:22:19 UTC | #921221

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 19 by Premiseless

Comment 12 by Ignorant Amos :

I'm telling ya.....I fell on the floor pissing myself when I read the article.

Not so funny to think kids are being fed this stuff as soon as hippo-camp begins.

These are supposed to be adults with at the very least semi literate intellects..

Remember it's not intellect that does it, it's Osmondosis!

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:23:28 UTC | #921222

Zeuglodon's Avatar Comment 20 by Zeuglodon

Comment 11 by rationalmind

Cheers for that link. Mormonism epitomizes everything that's intellectually wrong with religion. It makes propositions that are clearly fabrications to anyone who knows something about history and human psychology. Those aren't "religious beliefs"; those are fact statements about the world that should be judged on par with any other - that's how secularism can work it out of society.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:23:38 UTC | #921223

Arki's Avatar Comment 21 by Arki

That awkward moment when you remember that you used to believe in this crap. I'm so glad I saw the light and got out of there before it got worse.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:24:29 UTC | #921224

"'s Avatar Comment 22 by "

It was transmogriphied by Satan to lead unbelievers astray!

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:25:06 UTC | #921225

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 23 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 19 by Premiseless

That's right, you go and put a downer on one of the few lighter moments I'm enjoying.

Of course you are absolutely correct. This is really a travesty and youngsters should never be subjected to such bonkers. A Schadenfreude moment....I'm sorry, I must do better.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:33:37 UTC | #921229

Daryl 's Avatar Comment 24 by Daryl

Sorry boogerjames, but it was Bill Maher, but I'll bet John Stewart is kicking himself that he didn't do it first. This is what I wrote on Facebook when I read about this:

What is scary is that between Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney, Mitt is the sane one. When I die, these people will no doubt not be interested in sending me to their home planet, Kolob (look it up, it's real to them), just as they keep trying with Anne Frank. Battlestar Galactica came up with the planet Kobol (Glen Larsen, the creator is a Mormon) from Kolob, but folks, that's TV.

Of course, now that it looks like neutrinos are stuck at lightspeed after all (uh, are religions so self-correcting?) it will still take Anne and the others now so blessed many years before they reach their new home star system.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:37:06 UTC | #921233

blitz442's Avatar Comment 25 by blitz442

Comment 13 by Metamag

It is quite bizarre, really. Half a century ago, in the predominantly WASP US, it was openly questioned whether a Catholic president could be trusted to run the country.

To this day, Protestants of the evangelical type ridicule Catholic theology, the Papacy, the worship of Mary and the Saints, their use of a different version of the Bible (with its additional books), and the "smells and bells" of high Catholic ritual. In many US colleges, especially in the South, you will find evangelical organizations such as "Campus Crusade For Christ" that actively try to deconvert unsuspecting Catholic kids.

And Mormonism? It is regarded as nothing more than a strange cult - about as Christian as the Wiccans or the Druids.

Yet in the name of political expediency, all of this seems to have been set aside in some uncomfortable, unspoken truce. But undoubtedly the average bible-thumper is experiencing some cognitive dissonance over having to support either a follower of the antichrist (the papists Santorum and Gingrich) or the cult member Romney.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:40:00 UTC | #921235

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 26 by Premiseless

Comment 23 by Ignorant Amos :

Comment 19 by Premiseless

No - you must laugh! It highlights a point though as to how the more extreme beliefs get a by pass to pseudo-tolerance by their sheer ridiculous nature. If you can make someone laugh you are halfway in the door! The serious point that tomorrows population, pedaling this garbage is likelier to be even larger, somehow steals by us. Classic tactic the world over!

Also the multi wives motion then doesn't seem so bad - wow is this less extreme?? I recall hearing a bunch of these wives saying how they want a part share in a bigger man rather than a Willie Nelson! Puzzling to me!

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:49:34 UTC | #921240

"'s Avatar Comment 27 by "

Comment 24 by Daryl :

now that it looks like neutrinos are stuck at lightspeed after all

I believe the experiments attempting to replicate the findings are still going ahead - the Opera team has identified two systematic problems - one which creates an increase in the measurement of velocity and the other a decrease. Hopefully the independent experiments will clarify matters.

Science wins whatever the experimental results are!

(In sharp contrast to the brain dead garbage that religions tout!)

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:54:22 UTC | #921241

I.Dodgyknees's Avatar Comment 28 by I.Dodgyknees

Were the Nazis who killed Anne Frank baptised? What arseholes these people are.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:56:11 UTC | #921243

PY's Avatar Comment 29 by PY

Contemptable Mormon idiocy...Anne Frank of all things. And yet any criticism of such astonishing behaviour is deemed an attack on the 'freedom of religion' et all. It's like taking reality and saying, nope, what you see and hear and understand is not true. Reality is incorrect. It comes later, if you believe. I can only shake my head and look at myself in the mirror & repeat...' I think I see me... pretty sure it's me...I'm having my doubts...is that really me?'

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:07:41 UTC | #921251

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 30 by Starcrash

Comment 1 by Andrew B. :

Why don't we unbaptise her? I'll need a new wizard hat and some candles.

Or, if you're even more mischievous, head on over to this website.

Comment 5 by Ivan The Not So Bad :

You can get your own back by using this website to make a dead Mormon gay:

All Dead Mormons Are Now Gay

Great link, guys. That's hilarious. I've done the hard work (whew) of converting Anne Frank, and if she appears to be light in the loafers it's not because she's a ghost.

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:20:46 UTC | #921257