← Atheist group targets Muslims, Jews with ‘myth’ billboards in Arabic and Hebrew

Atheist group targets Muslims, Jews with ‘myth’ billboards in Arabic and Hebrew - Comments

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 1 by Cook@Tahiti

What about ''Grow Up America. There's no Santa, No Easter Bunny, and no Big Guy in the Sky'

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 00:21:57 UTC | #923633

Sjoerd Westenborg's Avatar Comment 2 by Sjoerd Westenborg

@Rtambree,

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 00:37:56 UTC | #923639

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 3 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Nice! I live in a VERY Jewish neighborhood in Brooklyn, but not Williamsburg.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 00:50:20 UTC | #923642

MilitantNonStampCollector's Avatar Comment 4 by MilitantNonStampCollector

No doubt offended Muslims will try to take these down.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 01:07:23 UTC | #923643

DallasDad's Avatar Comment 5 by DallasDad

Ow. Reading those comments is like experiencing physical pain. The anger is more appalling than the ignorance.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 01:13:02 UTC | #923645

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 6 by Neodarwinian

" Jeremy Lin emerges as emblem of burgeoning Asian-American Christianity "

Burgeoning?

I thought this the more interesting story, though reaching atheists in the Muslim and Jewish community is important this is the US and that should not be too hard a sell. But, to see the delusion passed freely and massively to a community that has stayed away from such nonsense is troubling.

Just how far, if any far, has Christianity reached into this new and growing segment of US society?

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 01:29:11 UTC | #923651

Opisthokont's Avatar Comment 7 by Opisthokont

I'm not too pleased with the "you know it's a myth" angle… after all, the religious believer doesn't know what they believe is a myth! Make no mistake, I object neither to offending people nor to confronting them (I fully approve of PZ's 'cracker' protest), but I do object to condescension, and I just don't see how this will be productive. Personally, I find it incredibly irritating when believers presume to know me better than I know myself (such as telling me I have a god-shaped hole in my heart), and I'd like to think we're better than just turning that back on the believers. If the point of the billboards is that the reader may be an atheist and that there are other atheists out there, there are more effective ways of communicating that. If the point is to stimulate discussion, there are more productive ways of doing that, too. What I do see these billboards doing effectively is saying that atheists are proselytising jerks, and I don't see why we would want to say that.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 01:31:32 UTC | #923654

some asshole's Avatar Comment 8 by some asshole

Oh boy did I have a laugh at this site, if you can bear the ignorance.

I read as many comments on that site as I could. A little part of my life essence faded away with each one, so I just had to stop. The last one I read was also my favorite. Here's an excerpt:

The right arm of hell is reserved for the unbelievers and the ungodly such as yourself. You will be chained together with others where you all will be bobbing up and down in the fiery river of hell.

And these are people who find an atheist billboard offensive!

You cannot reason with people like this. It is literally impossible, and a complete waste of time to even try.

I'm not too pleased with the "you know it's a myth" angle… after all, the religious believer doesn't know what they believe is a myth! ... What I do see these billboards doing effectively is saying that atheists are proselytising jerks, and I don't see why we would want to say that.

Silverman has indeed said these billboards are intended for non-believers stuck in those ridiculous communities. As far as "proselytizing jerks" goes, I don't give a damn. It establishes the presence of non-theists, it says we're not hiding anymore, and that's reason enough to put them up.

I grew up being told that if I didn't do the right things (which were never clear), I would be punished horribly forever. To a normal person, that constitutes emotional abuse. Consequently, today I want to shove a billboard up the ass of everyone who would repeat that same garbage I was fed as a helpless child. I see it done all the time online, but shockingly enough, no one does it to my face. Maybe they don't know what that 2-inch red "A" on my arm means.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 01:50:01 UTC | #923656

Fouad Boussetta's Avatar Comment 9 by Fouad Boussetta

Very nice. In the US, there is a LOT of in-your-face religious behavior and advertising to be endured. So it is only time the American nonbelievers stop being so silent and discreet, and start returning the favor. Let the religious taste their own medicine now.

I do understand that, as "some asshole" rightly points out in the previous comment, "these billboards are intended for non-believers stuck in those ridiculous communities". Still, it makes me happy to know the billboards will piss off the most ridiculous members of the ridiculous communities. :-)

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 01:55:33 UTC | #923657

mindy234's Avatar Comment 10 by mindy234

I welcome any atheist exposure, keep up the good work guys, it helps so much :)

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 02:07:21 UTC | #923664

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 11 by Border Collie

You know it's a myth. If you don't, read Joseph Campbell's works and Sir George James Frazer's "Golden Bough" and, I'm sure, many others. At worst, it will give you some ammunition.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 02:09:28 UTC | #923666

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 12 by AtheistEgbert

Shrill strident uppity atheists again! They must be silenced!

Okay, I'm all for much needed exposure. But here is the thing--we're hiding behind these billboards, we need to be a bit more brave and vocal ourselves, among our families, friends, communities. I know it's horrible to voice dissent, to challenge people, but after a while, you might start enjoying it!

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 02:17:03 UTC | #923668

mmurray's Avatar Comment 13 by mmurray

Comment 12 by AtheistEgbert :

Shrill strident uppity atheists again! They must be silenced!

Maybe you would like to change that "we" to "I" because I don't think you know anything about what anyone else here is doing.

Michael

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 04:03:20 UTC | #923682

JTMcDaniel's Avatar Comment 14 by JTMcDaniel

I do hope these will be the modern electronic billboards. I really wouldn't want to turn on the news and discover that a billboard company crew had just been murdered as they were pasting up one of those.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 04:51:55 UTC | #923687

Hellboy2's Avatar Comment 15 by Hellboy2

Comment 4 by Militant non-stamp collector

No doubt offended Muslims will try to take these down.

Oh yes. Can't see these, especially the arabic one, lasting too long. As much as I appreciate the message targeting these particular communities, I can't help thinking of red flags and bulls....

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 08:30:18 UTC | #923693

SuedeStonn's Avatar Comment 16 by SuedeStonn

As Opisthoknot said, putting "...you know it's a myth..." is rather condescending. These people really don't know it's a myth, they think it's all real, and being condescending will actually push the ones who might be on the fence back. (At least I see more going back than those coming forward.) The thing I fear is that a lot of these people who come out will be ostracized, and may find out too late what that will encompass. Here's to hoping that any and all who do come forward have a plan to deal with the 'fallout'.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 09:51:25 UTC | #923700

gordon's Avatar Comment 17 by gordon

Boy, the rants on that site are something else.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:03:12 UTC | #923703

starboykb's Avatar Comment 18 by starboykb

To be honest, I dont really like offending but it would be nice just the sentences "You have a choice" is enough or maybe finding better one words for the rest.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:20:39 UTC | #923706

rationalmind's Avatar Comment 19 by rationalmind

Comment 5 by DallasDad :

As someone has pointed out on there the higher the religiosity the worse the spelling and grammar.I use Firefox with a spell checker but annoyingly it doesn't work with this site.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:57:25 UTC | #923713

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 20 by AtheistEgbert

Comment 13 by mmurray :

Michael

Well, I'm specifically talking about Britain here, which is a nation addicted to cowardice. As Nick Cohen suggested in his rant at the Free Expression rally:

And so, I myself am a recovering coward, but recognizing one's own cowardice is the first step to recovery! And I hope to point out to my fellow Brits that they too are too shy and timid and need to start getting brave and actively fighting against oppression. I'm sure you'd agree, that this is very good advice.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:21:47 UTC | #923717

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 21 by drumdaddy

Peace to all of those who wish to unshackle. Peace to those who reach out to them.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:30:38 UTC | #923718

Tony d's Avatar Comment 22 by Tony d

Atheist group targets Muslims, Jews with ‘myth’ billboards in Arabic and Hebrew

I detect a negative preconception in that headline i would prefer.

Atheist group reaches out to Muslims, Jews with ‘myth’ billboards in Arabic and Hebrew

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:22:12 UTC | #923727

Mr Blue Sky's Avatar Comment 23 by Mr Blue Sky

I do not think that sophisticated marketing phrases (even if this one does not really fall into this category) can be used to win over primitive beliefs based followers of any religion, even if they are somewhat agnostic about others belief systems. However, until christian witch hunters and muslim believers of winged horses are educated into the ways of the modern world there will be tension.

I worry that theocratic tendencies that are so prevalent around the world will destroy our civilisation eventually unless we tackle the sources of religious indoctrination. Politics is the key in an educated world but that is not where we are. Religion should come with health warnings and be for adults only and be carried on behind closed doors if at all. It will be interesting to watch and see how much strife is caused by these billboards and see if it causes harm or death as it might once the arabic reading fundamentalists get worked up, as they surely will. It is not like burning a Koran to us but to them...??

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 13:23:11 UTC | #923736

kamel's Avatar Comment 24 by kamel

I failed to see how a billboard would make religious people shake off their delusions,proselytism or deliberately offensive is not what this billboard is all about,however it's extremely effective to provoke thoughts.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 13:33:58 UTC | #923737

AsylumWarden's Avatar Comment 25 by AsylumWarden

[Comment 2](/articles/645160-atheist-group-targets-muslims-jews-with-myth-billboards-in-arabic-and-hebrew/comments?page=1#comment_923639) by  [Sjoerd Westenborg](/profiles/178299)          :

@Rtambree,They tried that. Oh boy did I have a laugh at this site, if you can bear the ignorance.http://conservativebyte.com/2011/11/atheist-group-to-sponsor-anti-christmas-billboards-featuring-jesus-santa-satan/

Jesus wept! Well, I'm sure he would do if he existed at that display of judging, not turning the other cheek, hate-filled bile. Why is it devout Christians are some of the least Christ-like people in existence?

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 13:35:59 UTC | #923740

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 26 by aroundtown

The religiously persuaded, (regardless of which myth they adhere too), have been whipped into a frenzy so the effort's to reach them presently are limited in my opinion. We can certainly standup for ourselves and express our secular views but the conservative sites and churches will only demonize us further so expectation's that they will "see the light" are negligible. To use an analogy the present religious populace is like a disturbed bee's nest and we are walking up to them to discuss the finer points of honey production and it's chemical properties and the bee's are basically thinking I want to attack and sting your ass. A bit childish I guess but the religiously persuaded that I have witnessed lately seem to be fairly militant and intolerant to any opposing view. Just hoping to avoid these idiots as best I can at this point.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 14:43:22 UTC | #923752

Andrew B.'s Avatar Comment 27 by Andrew B.

I suspect these ads are aimed towards those who already have serious doubts about their religion, not those who are firm in their convictions.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 17:33:18 UTC | #923782

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 28 by Alan4discussion

Comment 27 by Andrew B.

The OP says they are aimed at atheists living in the midst of the faith groups.

@OP - Dave Silverman, the president of American Atheists, said the signs are intended to reach atheists in the Muslim and Jewish enclaves who may feel isolated because they are surrounded by believers.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 17:57:32 UTC | #923790

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 29 by aquilacane

Comment 10 by mindy234

I welcome any atheist exposure...

If I wasn't at work, I would have one hell of a scribble for you.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 18:03:44 UTC | #923793

TeraBrat's Avatar Comment 30 by TeraBrat

Secular cultural study of the Hebrew Bible. A few inaccuracies like saying the Temple Mount is on Mount Zion when it's on Mount Meron, but quite a good cultural analysis. There's a lot of comparison of what's in the Bible to ancient Canaanite literature and codes of conduct.

I haven't listened to the NT one yet.

Fri, 02 Mar 2012 18:20:02 UTC | #923797