← “Forget Jesus” – Controversy at the Intersection of Miley Cyrus, Lawrence Krauss, Christianity, Atheism, Physics, Astronomy and Cosmology

“Forget Jesus” – Controversy at the Intersection of Miley Cyrus, Lawrence Krauss, Christianity, Atheism, Physics, Astronomy and Cosmology - Comments

cornbread_r2's Avatar Comment 1 by cornbread_r2

Why does the byline read?: By JAMES F. MCGRATH - FRIENDLY ATHEIST

He's not an atheist.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 06:26:41 UTC | #925285

cornbread_r2's Avatar Comment 2 by cornbread_r2

It would make sense if the article linked to Hemant Mehta's site the Friendly Atheist, but it doesn't. It links to McGrath's site -- also affectionately known as Exploding Our Cakemix.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 06:59:23 UTC | #925290

Beachbum's Avatar Comment 3 by Beachbum

Although, I don't care for this author either, I am glad to see this quote from Lawrence Krauss. It is also one of my most cherished sentiments regarding our origins.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 07:10:07 UTC | #925291

GPWC's Avatar Comment 4 by GPWC

"Please call me by my true names" or "Being Rocks" by Thich Nhat Hanh, Vietnamese Zen Master.

Being rocks

being gas,

being mist,

being mind,

being the mesons travelling among the galaxies at the speed of light,

you have come here, my beloved one.

Your blue eyes shine so beautiful and deep.

You have taken the path traced for you by both the non-beginning and the never-ending.

On your way here you have gone through millions of births and deaths.

Inumerable times you have been transformed into firestorms in outer space.

You have used your own body to measure the age of mountains and rivers.

You have manifested yourself as trees, as grass, as butterflies, as single celled beings, as chrysanthemums ...

But the blue eyes with which you look at me this morning, tell me that none of these have ever died.

They are alive in you.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:53:39 UTC | #925312

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 5 by Alan4discussion

Comment 1 by cornbread_r2

Why does the byline read?: By JAMES F. MCGRATH - FRIENDLY ATHEIST

He's not an atheist.

It could be the name of the site: - http://forum.friendlyatheist.com/ Not a description of the author.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:07:40 UTC | #925331

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 6 by SaganTheCat

so Miley Cyrus is cool now?

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:09:07 UTC | #925332

hitchens_jnr's Avatar Comment 7 by hitchens_jnr

Wow, and I always thought she was just a brat.

Maybe she still is, but at least she can appreciate wonderful words, and she's maybe helping this excellent message get a wider audience than it otherwise would, so bravo, Miley!

Altogether now, "Whoah-oh-oh, oh-ooooh, it's a party in the USA!!!"

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:40:50 UTC | #925338

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 8 by QuestioningKat

No No No! No celebrity BS here please. I've come here to learn and this is a fluff piece. What's going on? Wives of dictators, now Miley. Are we in some sort of slow period? Is everyone getting ready for the Reason Rally or something?

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:50:26 UTC | #925365

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 9 by Border Collie

Miley is my hero ... I always refer to celebrities for self-validation and scientific confirmation ...

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 14:07:05 UTC | #925379

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 10 by Starcrash

My favorite news show, The Young Turks, also gushed over Miley for this post. I have to admit that suddenly she seems very attractive to me personally, too.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:23:55 UTC | #925399

bentleyd's Avatar Comment 11 by bentleyd

Comment 8 by QuestioningKat

No No No! No celebrity BS here please....

I think the relevance of this article is that atheism and pro-science is becoming popular and acceptable among the mainstream. The more celebrities that come out will make it easier for others to come out.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:32:21 UTC | #925405

helena!'s Avatar Comment 12 by helena!

Not so fast. It appears to be she is one who thinks science and god are the same. Her recent Tweets reflect that. She's still figuring it all out she's very young. She may never escape indoctrination she is entrenched in it and would probably lose most of her fans. Probably not worth it to her to find out the real truth for herself.

"It makes me sad to think the world is this way. Like Einstein says "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.""

Retweet - "Science can explain what the eyes see. Faith can explain what only the heart sees."

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 18:14:11 UTC | #925432

Spawny Rosary's Avatar Comment 13 by Spawny Rosary

I don't like the line "Stars died so you could live." It implies a sort of agency was at work, where of course there was none.

I know, I know, poetic and all that, but I think it gives the wrong impression.

Stars died providing the essential ingredients for life, or something. I'm no poet. Who can do better?

Ms Cyrus is however discovering how erm loving, caring and tolerant some of the Xtian community can be, when Jesus' name is besmirched.Perhaps that will give her cause for reflection.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:21:38 UTC | #925455

Billions and Billions's Avatar Comment 14 by Billions and Billions

Comment 13 by Spawny Rosary :

I know, I know, poetic and all that, but I think it gives the wrong impression.

More than poetic. It's like adding the pro-Darwin legs to the Jesus fish symbol. Love those car emblems.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 21:42:43 UTC | #925473

tboulay's Avatar Comment 15 by tboulay

Comment 6 by Daniel Clear :

so Miley Cyrus is cool now?

I don't know. I can definitely say that I feel some respect for her now where there was none before. The fact that she tweeted something by Lawrence Krauss; hell the fact that she knows who he is puts her far above any other idol of my 8 year old daughter in my respect department.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 22:49:45 UTC | #925483

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 16 by QuestioningKat

Comment 11 by bentleyd :

Comment 8 by QuestioningKat

No No No! No celebrity BS here please....

pffft! Unless these celebrities say "I am an atheist" or I support science education, their intentions towards a quote can be viewed in multitude of ways.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 00:31:06 UTC | #925499

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 17 by xmaseveeve

Good for her - and very brave.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 01:41:16 UTC | #925509

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 18 by KRKBAB

I don't have a clue who Miley Cyrus is- if she's a pop artist (artist?) then I'd have no clue. That may sound snobbish- perhaps it is!

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 03:17:26 UTC | #925527

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 19 by KRKBAB

I do think this is another case of someone mentioning something from an Abrahamic religion that's not accommodationist and it becomes a big deal... It's sad.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 03:20:37 UTC | #925529

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 20 by xmaseveeve

KRKBAB, comment 19,

At the moment, on 'American Idol', young singers thank God for their talent, to get more votes, and the judges lap it up. (In the UK, people sidle politely away from those who suddenly mention God, as it's considered to be in poor taste.) This may help to make young people think for themselves. Hey, not everyone praises Jesus - I wonder why?

I don't know her songs, but good luck to this girl. Look what happened to the Dixie Chicks - the drooling pitchfork-wielders were setting up the stakes and straw. She just liked the words, which are so poetic that those who protest about two words (and not 'Kill Fags') will look petty and mean. People might even atheists don't have horns. I hope so.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 04:30:52 UTC | #925540

Steviemgallacher's Avatar Comment 21 by Steviemgallacher

I have to admit my opinion of her has improved.

Previously I'd thought she was little more than a pretty girl who could sing a bit, and was either using her father's fame as a springboard to catapult herself in to stardom as a pop princess, or was being used by her parents as a means of making more money. I could never quite tell which it was.

I think there is a dark side to the Cyrus family, and her younger sister has been dragged into in recent years too, in 2010 Miley's sister Noah was involved in launching a 'risqué' line of clothing for pre-teens, which I think does lend a little credibility to the exploitation scenario.

Regardless of how or why the older Cyrus sister got to where she is, we have to understand that she's in a position to influence millions of girls and young women, and if she's stopped thumping her bible, even for a few seconds, and actually thought about what Krauss was saying, we can bet millions of other have too.

Another reason she may have pause would also be the Christian backlash from many of her fans and followers, some accusing her of no longer being Christian, other telling her to "go to hell".

And again, she's due some respect, after the response, Ms Cyrus is quoted as saying "How can people take the love out of science and bring hate into religion so easily?" A good question, remember the people making these comments probably claim to be good Christians.

I said above, Miley is role model to millions and if she was to publicly abandon her faith it would probably be career suicide, we also need to remember she's also a human being, and if she's taken time to re-evaluate what she believes, and perhaps shed some of the indoctrination she’s endured, I think everyone on the so-called 'rationalist community' should stand behind her and encourage it, and if even a handful of the millions who idolise her do the same it could, in a small way, help and loosen the hold religion has on us as a society. We won't see any result today or tomorrow, but it could be more effective than herding cats ;-)

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 13:33:48 UTC | #925871

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 22 by xmaseveeve

Comment 21, steviemgallagher,

Excellent post.

Atheists have to stand by celebrities who are being attacked for not pushing the Christian agenda. We need to have their backs, or else no more will speak up. Young people pay attention to what celebrities say and I don't think we should be a bunch of cultural elitists.

This is a chance to help young people to hear a different voice, and to seek help for their delusions. Why should we stand back and allow this young girl to be bullied by crackpots just because we don't like or don't know her songs? Ask yourself how many indoctrinated people were moved by Krauss's words and have at least begun to realise that everyone has a right to think? Without her, they wouldn't have seen the words.

They are conditioned to believe The Word, but maybe now they'll look at other books!

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 20:39:56 UTC | #925957

helena!'s Avatar Comment 23 by helena!

"God is good" is her latest post.

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 19:13:38 UTC | #926745

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 24 by xmaseveeve

I have no problem with that, especially if she likes Krauss. She responded to the beauty of science, and I think she was brave to say so. She is young and in the pubic eye - I'll leave that typo because those who are bullying her are fannies.

Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:42:57 UTC | #926809