← Scientists Last Supper

Scientists Last Supper - Comments

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 1 by Neodarwinian

Charles Darwin and Albert Einstein need to trade places! Confusingly, Lamarck could go where Newton is now.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:27:34 UTC | #927249

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 2 by Ignorant Amos

I think they're gonna need a bigger table.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:28:24 UTC | #927250

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 3 by Ignorant Amos

So, that makes Isaac Newton the Judas to Albert Einstein. Hmm, not sure I get that.

If anything it should be the other way around.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:30:34 UTC | #927252

Darwinorlose's Avatar Comment 4 by Darwinorlose

Archimedes would have been a better choice than Aristotle. Archimedes actually experimented. Was this close to getting the Calculus way before Newton. Aristotle's errors hampered us for centuries.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:42:15 UTC | #927262

dansam's Avatar Comment 5 by dansam

One of these guys is at the wrong table.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:46:50 UTC | #927264

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 6 by aroundtown

I still like it, a fun little poke in the eye of the religious buffet.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:55:27 UTC | #927268

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 7 by aroundtown

Comment 2 by Ignorant Amos I think they're gonna need a bigger table.

Yeah I agree. Bigger table for the party and invite more of the shakers and movers that gave us enlightenment.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:58:54 UTC | #927272

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 8 by Cartomancer

Aristotle's errors hampered us for centuries

Yes, but that's hardly Aristotle's fault now is it? If Newton or Einstein traded places with him and it was their theories and their errors that formed the basis of learning during the scholastic rediscovery of the scientific method then they might have come in for such opprobrium too.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 03:09:18 UTC | #927277

isisdron's Avatar Comment 9 by isisdron

and where is Planck and Thomas Jefferson? hmph.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 03:23:34 UTC | #927283

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 10 by mordacious1

I don't know if Edison should be at the table at all. He was firstly a dishonest businessman, then an inventor, and then a scientist. I could think of a few others that should be included instead: Bohr, Kepler, Copernicus, Farraday, Heisenberg....

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 04:24:00 UTC | #927331

ConnedCatholic's Avatar Comment 11 by ConnedCatholic

This is fantastic. Fits in nicely with my latest philosophy that the non-religious should emulate religious procedures and ceremonies in order to give the believers something to make up for their loss (this once the penny has finally dropped). There could be Sunday services with a scientific lecture instead of a sermon and so on and so forth. Here we are arguing (just like the religious) about who said what and who was more "whatever" than the other. It will make the bereaved feel at home. I am not trying to be funny. I really think that something like this should be a long term view of the atheist "movement". It would certainly give a use to some of the buildings. And so on and so forth.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 04:39:27 UTC | #927337

Mrkimbo's Avatar Comment 12 by Mrkimbo

What about Democritus, father of atomic theory and one of the first people ever to do without any supernatural props in his explanation of the nature of the universe - he's got to be in!

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 06:20:42 UTC | #927363

6thsense's Avatar Comment 13 by 6thsense

"Each of the people in this picture has accomplished more for humanity then any of the guys in that other painting."

True, but can any of them draw like Leonardo?

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 07:38:49 UTC | #927376

Michael Gray's Avatar Comment 14 by Michael Gray

Given that everyone in the original painting is entirely and wholly fictional, that is hardly an achievement!

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:05:16 UTC | #927379

hairybreeks's Avatar Comment 15 by hairybreeks

What, no Lysenko?

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:57:42 UTC | #927386

mmurray's Avatar Comment 16 by mmurray

Comment 11 by ConnedCatholic :

Occasionally we have seen reports of things like this. Personally I thought one of the great advantages of atheism was sleeping in on Sundays.

For ceremonies this already happens. At least where I live.

As for the buildings they make great restaurants and pubs and I think someone here reported a tower that was turned into a rock climbing feature. Maybe this one.

On-topic: I don't honestly see the point. Science is not a religion. This kind of picture, amusing though it is, just adds to the "you have faith in science, I have faith in god" confusion.

Michael

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:57:44 UTC | #927387

Voluptua's Avatar Comment 17 by Voluptua

Hope the menu has improved.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:18:54 UTC | #927392

HalfaMind's Avatar Comment 18 by HalfaMind

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:12:28 UTC | #927396

Krasny's Avatar Comment 19 by Krasny

It would have been nice to include more than one woman.

Maybe Hypatia of Alexandria?

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:20:58 UTC | #927398

papa lazaru's Avatar Comment 20 by papa lazaru

[Comment 18](/articles/645313-scientists-last-supper/comments?page=1#comment_927396) by  [HalfaMind](/profiles/6312)          :

It reminds me a little of a photo I'm rather fond of - taken at the pivotal Solvay Conference of 1927. Posing together, amongst others, are Einstein, Planck, Schrodinger, de Broglie, Born, Pauli, Dirac, Heisenberg, Bohr, Madame Curie, Lorentz. I mean, what? You can find it in Wikipaedia.The 1930 gathering Still features many of them, and with a frisson I noticed it also includes one Charles Darwin. But no, obviously not that one!

More brains Than the rest of current humanity put together.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:22:08 UTC | #927399

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 21 by drumdaddy

We all know that Tyson would be in Galileo's ear, filling him in about all of the cosmic discoveries made since his time.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:44:08 UTC | #927405

Mistersun's Avatar Comment 22 by Mistersun

Where are Mileva Maric (Maric-Einstein), and Nikola Tesla? :) But, it's very nice idea. They were more human definitely!

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:50:59 UTC | #927407

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 23 by aquilacane

The artist, Leon (that guy from Vinci), is also present, if only in inspiration. I would have given him a seat at his own table.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:36:23 UTC | #927424

njwong's Avatar Comment 24 by njwong

Perhaps someone can do a scientists Periodic Table. There should be enough slots there so we don't have to quibble about this or that scientist not being represented.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:39:22 UTC | #927426

sandman67's Avatar Comment 25 by sandman67

WTF????

Nikola TESLA!!!!

Swop out Edison, the man that ripped him and his ideas off for Nikola. Whlst Edison did invent the lightbulb, it was Tesla (and Westinghouse) who provided the electricity to light the damn thing. And lets not forget old Eddys other electrical invention.... Old Sparky.

As for Newton as Judas.....well Newton is the scientist that the CreoTards and Religulous Reich always wheel out to support the statement: Well Newton believed in God/Creationism.

To which the sound response is : Well Newton lived over 200 years ago....and he practiced alchemy!

Anyways..... TESLA TESLA TESLA!!!!

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:03:16 UTC | #927436

Rosbif's Avatar Comment 26 by Rosbif

No James Clark Maxwell?

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:34:24 UTC | #927444

ANTIcarrot's Avatar Comment 27 by ANTIcarrot

And just like that other painting, I can't help but notice they're all white, and european. Slightly racist much?

Pretty sure Muhammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī has done more for humanity than a LOT of people on that list. Oh, but he was religious! And not white! Or how about Konstantin Tsiolkovsky? Okay, borderline white, but definately not european, and again, more for humanity than the above. So yeah...

Any list with Neil deGrasse Tyson is a pretty terrible one. Yes he's a trained scientist, and a nice man by all accounts, but he's mostly famous for communicating what other people have already discovered, rather than making scietific contributions of his own.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:07:23 UTC | #927454

antcowan's Avatar Comment 28 by antcowan

Edison should not be there and i suppose curie and degrasse keep the gender and race issue right.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:23:25 UTC | #927459

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 29 by Ignorant Amos

Michael Faraday?

I'm tellin' ya all.....they need a bigger table....perhaps even a larger venue.

Comment 27 by ANTIcarrot

I don't think de Gasse Tyson is white or European.

I'm nearly sure J. Robert Oppenheimer was a yank also.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:29:13 UTC | #927463

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 30 by Ignorant Amos

Technically, there are three around that table who are not Scientists.

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:34:44 UTC | #927466