← Australian Atheist Bus Ad Says God Better Have ‘a Good Excuse’

Australian Atheist Bus Ad Says God Better Have ‘a Good Excuse’ - Comments

Fouad Boussetta's Avatar Comment 1 by Fouad Boussetta

Woody Allen will be very pleased when he learns about this. I am.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 01:32:59 UTC | #927679

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 2 by Rawhard Dickins

My favourite:

The worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever. - Woody Allen

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 01:47:15 UTC | #927681

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 3 by Neodarwinian

Good one!

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 01:56:38 UTC | #927682

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 4 by Agrajag

George Carlin said:

Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the résumé of a Supreme Being. This is the kind of shit you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude.

I'd love to see that on a bus in Chicago!
Steve

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 02:37:20 UTC | #927693

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 5 by Cook@Tahiti

His excuse is worrying if women are revealing too much hair.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 03:50:01 UTC | #927698

The Truth, the light's Avatar Comment 6 by The Truth, the light

Good old Aussie approach.

Interestingly that the same company pulled the ads a few years ago that said:

Atheism: Celebrate reason

The supposed reason was that they were too political.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 04:14:43 UTC | #927702

RDfan's Avatar Comment 7 by RDfan

"Sorry, I have a slight headache. I won't be in to work today. God"

God's sick note from 13 billions years ago.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 05:14:36 UTC | #927710

zeerust2000's Avatar Comment 8 by zeerust2000

Hooray....I live in Sydney, but am forced to admit that Melbourne has outdone us in a good cause. Well done. I wonder what kind of response (if any) there will be. Australians have a reputation for being a bit laid back about religion in general. I seem to remember Prime Minister Bob Hawke mentioning back in the 80s that he didn't believe in god, but hardly anyone seemed to care.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 06:18:35 UTC | #927713

sbooder's Avatar Comment 9 by sbooder

People who say they believe in God are nothing more than the ultimate Bunburyists.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 06:27:14 UTC | #927716

debonnesnouvelles's Avatar Comment 10 by debonnesnouvelles

Comment 6 by The Truth, the light :

...Interestingly that the same company pulled the ads a few years ago that said:

Atheism: Celebrate reason ...

from the Hemant Mehta's blog:

Three separate slogans were proposed to APN Outdoor — the company that handles bus advertising in most Australian capitals.

Atheism: Because there is no credible evidence

Celebrate reason: Sleep in on Sunday mornings

Atheism: Celebrate reason

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 06:28:34 UTC | #927717

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 11 by Alternative Carpark

I don't think any slogan should contain, or need, the word atheism in it.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 08:44:17 UTC | #927736

tyga's Avatar Comment 12 by tyga

Free speech is alive and well, so long as it fits the PC agenda.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:30:03 UTC | #927756

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 13 by drumdaddy

Maybe I'm too picky but I am not altogether comfortable with the tone of the message. Our goals are less flippant than mere through-away quips and Mr. Allen is not exactly a representative paragon of virtue with whom I would readily align myself. Correction of public perceptions demands thorough thought.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:00:00 UTC | #927768

ukvillafan's Avatar Comment 14 by ukvillafan

[Comment 12](/articles/645327-australian-atheist-bus-ad-says-god-better-have-a-good-excuse/comments?page=1#comment_927756) by  [tyga](/profiles/37894)          :

Try changing that to “If Allah exists, I hope he has a good excuse." and then see what happens.Free speech is alive and well, so long as it fits the PC agenda.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Wake me up when you have something new, interesting and valid to say. Until then STFU.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:12:23 UTC | #927771

retep57's Avatar Comment 15 by retep57

I live in Melbourne , last GAC I was only a few months out of being a Christian , was way to chicken to go to it. this time, I am going, paid up and counting down the days, and as for the ad on buses,, yay, makes me glad to be a paid member of Aussie atheists 3 years ago Dawkins was the devil, now (oddly , he is now regarded by me as one of the best people on the planet. Thengod delusion will always be special to me, my first tentavie steps away from delusion to reality, thanks again Richard.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:20:52 UTC | #927772

FomalhautB's Avatar Comment 16 by FomalhautB

Concerning the first two Woody Allen related comments, here's my favourite: "Not only is there no God, but try finding a plumber on Sunday"

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:38:54 UTC | #927774

FomalhautB's Avatar Comment 17 by FomalhautB

Comment 12 by tyga "Try changing that to “If Allah exists, I hope he has a good excuse." and then see what happens"

The ad is in English. I don't see the point of translating one of the words into another language (in this case translating the English word 'God' into the Arabian word 'Allah').

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:49:33 UTC | #927779

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 18 by aquilacane

Nice look. Fashion is for those with no style; this has style. Probably no God was fashionable. Woody must like it. He has style; a smartly pathetic style but style.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:18:30 UTC | #927793

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 19 by aroundtown

I like the bus ad. If you look at the comments to the original story you can pickup something interesting, interesting to me anyway. There's that unsure notion on god's non-existance argument going on. That crud thinking use to pop into my mind when I was scraping off religion. There is that hint of the - I better not be cocky because god might exist crud that haunts your thinking being expressed.

The benefit of becoming an adamant confirmed atheist is you can jettison all that guilt/fear crap and move on and truly breath the free air. If there was any justice ( just privately mussing because it's just a concept - there is no justice) god would be confronted for the grand failures we are all aware of but alas that is just toxic thinking on my part because there is no god to admonish. I think my mussing clearly ties into why I like the bus ad.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:20:34 UTC | #927795

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 20 by strangebrew

BREAKING NEWS...Sorry for this off topic post...

Sorry I can not resist...I regularly mention on one of the many threads here and elsewhere I have commented on...that The Arch Bishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams aka Catweazle' was not long from quitting his post...or being stabbed in the ecclesiastical back from one of his slavering minions...probably Archbishop Sentamu... .. Mostly I got a few ..'Don't be a drama queen that is.highly improbable' reactions...but it seems I was spot on

There is a comment thread active on that Beeb topic...the theists are really spitting fear and toxic effluent and taking it all out on the atheists...so funny!

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:24:49 UTC | #927797

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 21 by aroundtown

Comment 20 by strangebrew BREAKING NEWS...Sorry for this off topic post...

Loved it. Let those religious fools tear into each other. One delusional leader leaves and a new delusional leader will enter. Such is the way of the religious condition.. Your post may be slightly off topic but it is still applicable since it references the fool who supposedly speaks for the big primate in the sky. You know - the "one" that has a lot of explaining to do.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:51:44 UTC | #927800

SuedeStonn's Avatar Comment 22 by SuedeStonn

I like the humor behind the ad, but I really want to be able to say,"God? Doesn't exist, proven fact, get over it and start mowing your lawn on Sundays." I think philosophizing about 'Gods' nonexistence has been beaten to death and doesn't put the nail in 'Gods' coffin. I want an answer to the question of 'Gods' existence, foolproof, end of discussion.

non est deus

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:52:59 UTC | #927801

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 23 by aroundtown

Comment 22 by SuedeStonn - I think philosophizing about 'Gods' nonexistence has been beaten to death and doesn't put the nail in 'Gods' coffin. I want an answer to the question of 'Gods' existence, foolproof, end of discussion.

I agree that relief is secured at that point when you can finally say the whole thing is made up crap but there is another responsibility for us. We have to help those who have a hard time helping themselves so they might have a little bit of a softer landing when they are jettisoning this affliction of religion. I agree that the better sign would be something like this - NO GOD - GET OVER IT! - but I believe the backlash would be difficult to square with the community at large. Hopefully the messages, small and large, about the delusion will begin to sink-in to the oppressed and sanity might reign in a future without the delusion of religion in place.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:06:00 UTC | #927804

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 24 by strangebrew

The mere fact that there are such visible messages in a public area is in itself a remarkable and game changing development. The first time that the religious strangle hold is being prised loose from the neck of society..it is a wonderful and needed coo for free thinkers.

For the first time in history the bullshite is being targeted and most directly to the main contention...god..or rather lack of...and the question is in the public domain and not being held under closed doors in a vestry.

The mainstay of the delusion the main deity the fairy itself, the inviolable, untouchable and omniscient one is being ridiculed and negated as a figment...publicly!

That is a remarkable and epic achievement that is is now possible to advertise the fact...that a sizeable percentage of folk think the tale is ludicrous in the extreme. The fairy tale has lost its glamour for good!...The xian religion is being directly challenged...and they are frothing at the mouth and completely impotent if not incapable of doing anything about.

This is a win for atheism...and a fairly significant one at that!

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:53:40 UTC | #927814

Bipedal Primate's Avatar Comment 25 by Bipedal Primate

Comment 12 by tyga :

Free speech is alive and well, so long as it fits the PC agenda.

Such a slogan wouldn't make much sense since Allah is obviously even more evil than Yahweh. In other words: Why would anyone expect apologies from creatures like those guys?

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:55:18 UTC | #927837

StephenH's Avatar Comment 26 by StephenH

Slapped wrists for Jeremy Clarkson once again

So it's offensive to say 'Jesus wept' and 'God Almighty'

link text

Sounds like the BBC handled it well though

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 16:46:14 UTC | #927854

DarwinsBulldog's Avatar Comment 27 by DarwinsBulldog

To Atheists: relax, you've won! You're the mainstream sect of Christianity now!

Atheism: humanism, liberty, equality, fraternity. Just like Christianity, minus the God and minus Jesus.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 16:51:13 UTC | #927860

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 28 by Schrodinger's Cat

Comment 6 by The Truth, the light

Good old Aussie approach.

I'd have expected an Aussie advert to say something like ' God is deader than a dead dingo's donger '

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:32:14 UTC | #927876

GPWC's Avatar Comment 29 by GPWC

"God is alive and well and working on a less ambitious project".

Anon

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:17:55 UTC | #927886

stephenb1960's Avatar Comment 30 by stephenb1960

So far I have liked all of the bus and billboard ads. They have been addressing people who are anxious about their atheism due to: a) a fear of societal, in-group or family response and/or b) a residual, lingering fear that god just might be there and he just might be angry and/or c) some other reason I'm too dim to think of.

This one isn't aimed at these people though. It seems to me that this statement is just a "There are so many of us atheists now, we can just say what we want and so we are going to say something to upset you religious guys 'cos of all the nasty things you've said to us before" kind of statement.

There doesn't seem to me to be any obvious positive message here about anything we care about or to anyone we care about. Sure, it is a witty enough comment, but apart from showing that Woody Allen could make the occasional witty comment, what purpose does it serve?

Have I missed something?