← Rock Beyond Belief: An atheist victory at Fort Bragg

Rock Beyond Belief: An atheist victory at Fort Bragg - Comments

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 1 by drumdaddy

Mikey, I just bought your book No Snowflake in an Avalanche on iTunes today and already I find it to be very enlightening. Thank you for your patriotic efforts facing down danger from outside and within the military.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:18:30 UTC | #927822

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 2 by aroundtown

A year ago, Sgt. Griffith’s atheist festival received a nearly fatal setback in the form of a double-edged “approval” letter. The garrison commander relegated the event to an indoor facility that could only hold a few hundred people in separate rooms – a broom closet compared to the expansive venue apportioned to Rock the Fort. How would a planned Army paratrooper demonstration jump work indoors? Griffith appealed this decision, but he says the base commanders at Fort Bragg cited a “media analysis” that predicted only a few hundred people would show up. Griffith asked to see the analysis, and says he was told it didn’t exist on paper, or even electronically. It didn’t exist. But Griffith was forced to cancel the event.

Classic example of the supposed "good christian" condition that was displayed by the General. Christians have no shame in attempting to delegate that condition onto non-believers. This story really gives you a feel good moment to see Sgt. Griffith's efforts win in the end. I hope they have a great "rock beyond belief" concert party on the 31st.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:30:16 UTC | #927826

Roy72's Avatar Comment 3 by Roy72

The only shame is that Pat Tillman won't be there. I admired him when he left the NFL and a multi-million $$ contract to sign up (can anyone imagine a footballer doing the same in the UK?) but he was projected as such a clean-cut square-jawed all-american I shamefully assumed that he must be a typical right-wing christian neocon wingnut.

It was only only after he was killed that I found out that he was a freethinker who would have enjoyed the kind of debates we have here on RDFRS.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:02:52 UTC | #927864

williamcontrol's Avatar Comment 4 by williamcontrol

Victory!

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:26:01 UTC | #927873

chawinwords's Avatar Comment 5 by chawinwords

Thanks Roy72 for bringing up Pat Tilman's name. Even when I was reading the comments of Pastor Bryan Griem in the previous article and his pronouncements about atheists in combat situations, in my mind I was comparing the projected, moral bravery and manhood of both men, and knowing exactly which is the robe wearing worm (no insult to worms intended) (really)!

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:41:04 UTC | #927880

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 6 by mjwemdee

I don't know why I am shocked at the underhand and mendacious tactics of the Christian lobby. All kudos to Sgt Griffith's initiative and determination.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:52:58 UTC | #928072

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 7 by aquilacane

Party like you're almost equal.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 16:22:28 UTC | #928093

Quine's Avatar Comment 8 by Quine

Good coverage of attempts to get the atheist position respected on base:

Fri, 20 Apr 2012 21:44:54 UTC | #936119