← Last week's Gary Trudeau series

Last week's Gary Trudeau series - Comments

BanJoIvie's Avatar Comment 1 by BanJoIvie

Awesome. And "Here's your bill." is the perfect clincher.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 15:33:35 UTC | #928084

yanquetino's Avatar Comment 2 by yanquetino

Heh. Notice the letter on the back of the clinic's clipboards.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 15:41:17 UTC | #928086

Daryl 's Avatar Comment 3 by Daryl

The problem is that the so called lawmakers in Arizona and Texas can't be shamed, because they have none. Perhaps a bill that mandates a prostate exam with a 10" wand every time there is a physical?

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 16:12:36 UTC | #928092

Layla's Avatar Comment 4 by Layla

Comment 3 by Daryl :

Such a bill was proposed but for some strange reason the men didn't vote it through.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 16:48:48 UTC | #928095

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 5 by aroundtown

I think a brain examination might prove more useful to evaluate these hateful vile GOP minions. This is not about partisan principle issues any longer because, as usual, they have declared war on everyone and anything that does not mirror their core beliefs. I would imagine this comic strip series achieves little in persuading these folks to think about their actions.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 17:06:35 UTC | #928097

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 6 by drumdaddy

They keep calling it a 'Republican' or 'social conservative' war on women. All women need to understand (and start hearing from media) that this is a Religious War on Women which has a long history of handholding with the Religious War on Secularism. Evangelicals are firing all of their canons. Their stated aim is dominion. Where is Paul Revere?

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 17:09:14 UTC | #928099

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 7 by aroundtown

Comment 6 by drumdaddy

You would not get an argument from me on your observations. I will admit that I have a hard time understanding the argument that fighting for a secular society will achieve a balance for all. America was based on this principle and look where that has gone. I know I may agitate some people with my next observation but from my perspective regarding religion's inclusion and giving it it's due in society is a lot like a patient having surgery to remove a cancerous growth but leaving a little of it behind. The outcome is not going to be good and that is what you get with religion, it will always flare up in that they will never possess a live and let live philosophy towards those who are not in the fold.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 17:25:16 UTC | #928101

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 8 by Neodarwinian

BanJoIvie

" And "Here's your bill." is the perfect clincher. "

True that! You would think in these tough economic times that this added expense would give these " conservatives " pause.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 17:46:09 UTC | #928105

susanlatimer's Avatar Comment 9 by susanlatimer

Brilliant. Perfect.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 18:01:26 UTC | #928110

debonnesnouvelles's Avatar Comment 10 by debonnesnouvelles

Comment 5 by aroundtown :

...I would imagine this comic strip series achieves little in persuading these folks to think about their actions.

Ditto. Anyhow, what should possibly make the religious right reflect about its position on this issue when its members know in their heart that they are right? Just as they know in their heart that there is a god.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 18:01:53 UTC | #928111

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 11 by Carl Sai Baba

Comment 6 by drumdaddy :

I may as well comment on this again. Calling it a "republican" war on women ignores the more pointed and established cause (that religious people tend to believe that a glob of weakly-differentiated cells has a soul). It also absurdly implies that maybe the people who wrote these laws were motivated by a love of stock dividends, SUVs, and stealth bombers.

People here on this website are are actually diluting their own moral and scientific position in order to satisfy their political urges.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 19:57:50 UTC | #928137

coolegg's Avatar Comment 12 by coolegg

Republicans have gone off the deep end. But I still wonder if they might succeed in taking the country with them? I think they might. There seems to be a critical mass of stupid and mean.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 22:14:01 UTC | #928160

Sean_W's Avatar Comment 13 by Sean_W

It's so wrong I can't believe it's not criminal.

Surely some laws have been broken here, right?

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 23:30:28 UTC | #928170

isisdron's Avatar Comment 14 by isisdron

well the experience of fear worked for me. I live it every day. It costs too much to have sex...not for religious reasons, because they are crap, but for health reasons and financial reasons. You can get drama/heartbreak, std's, normal pregnant or complicated and expensive pregnant- and THEN you have to make a choice that will forever change/ruin your life in some way. .It just isnt worth the stress when you realize that any accidents are always going to be your fault in other people's eyes. There's no guarantee of securing a father for your child, or adequate resources. And then what if you find out your son has autism and you are a single mother and it is highly unlikely that he will ever be able to support himself? You dont get to die a peaceful death, because you will die worrying what will happen to your vulnerable child-man when you are gone. I cant possibly add another human being to such a mess. I was 19 and stupid, and sex was one heady brew. With one hell of a hangover for the rest of my life. Birth control methods are fine, but sometimes they fail. Some women know what I mean. No penis is worth the suffering, and I cant make myself a lesbian. I wish more women would realize that there is no magic safety bubble. And even if they do, and every woman in the world stopped having sex, it wouldnt halt rape or sexaul assault or incest. Children will still find a way to be born, because nature doesnt care about your feelings, ladies. Or your children's feelings. Nature only cares that it has replicated some genes, not what happens after. There is no safety.

Sun, 18 Mar 2012 00:25:33 UTC | #928176

green and dying's Avatar Comment 15 by green and dying

isisdron you realise that quite a lot of women in the world can have as much contraception, abortions and other medical care as they need without worrying about money? This is a problem with America (and any other country without proper healthcare), not with sex. And America can change; I think it's going to get better in the long run and not worse, even if it sometimes doesn't seem like it.

I'm really sorry that you've had bad experiences but, although the situation in America is bleak at the moment, I don't think it's quite bad enough to feel that it might benefit all of the women of the world to never have sex.

Sun, 18 Mar 2012 01:50:07 UTC | #928180

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 16 by Starcrash

Comment 14 by isisdron :

There are some methods of birth control that, while not perfect, are close. But some of your fears about children are very true. Even if you think you've found the perfect man and married him, security is still not assured. And having a child does mean worrying about someone all the time. But then again I think loving someone in general has that side effect.

You're right, there's no perfect safety. Even abstinence is only 99.99% effective, according to the Virgin Mary ;)

Sun, 18 Mar 2012 05:58:05 UTC | #928221

debonnesnouvelles's Avatar Comment 17 by debonnesnouvelles

Comment 14 by isisdron :

Isisdron, it sounds like life has handed you a never ending supply of difficulties. It is always easy for people from the outside to judge you, but what is the point? Everyone is an individual and life circumstances are, even if comparable, unique. There certainly is no "justice" as we would like to have it in nature. And, since we all hang around this forum, we don't believe that we can create a substitute for that just out of thin air. I am very very lucky in that I can say that all the problems in my life are so far of my own making. So dealing with life, whenever I feel depressed or that I can't cope, I can say to myself "hang on a minute, why don't I just pick myself up and take it from here". Your argument states that for many women in the world that is not so, that they find themselves in situations where there is no easy way out and they never asked for it. True and terrible. So, yes, life can be a terrible mess... When dealing with the difficulties of life, I need people around me to support me, as people around me need my help sometimes. Once we have realized that we really don't want to just kill ourselves in the face of adversity, if we are going to get through life and maybe even enjoy some of it, we need the community of people around us. And these people need to be born, fed, raised to become adults and full members of society. Surely, on your deathbed you would like to know that there are people who do care about your son, who will not leave him alone and helpless, but who will take responsibility for him when you are, again so cruelly, forced by nature to give it away. I wish very strongly that you already have found such people or that you will find ways of coming across them soon.

Sorry Mods, if this seems off topic. Then again, I think it is not entirely.

Sun, 18 Mar 2012 10:10:22 UTC | #928253

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 18 by QuestioningKat

No, it is on topic. A woman's sexuality, having children, and being responsible can be a heavy burden. At times, women cannot count on being supported. Then add in being a raped, pregnant kid, a woman of lower income, a woman with a health problem, being pregnant with a Down's fetus, being dumped by the father, etc. and you can see the glimpse of the stress some women have to deal with. If she decides to terminate the pregnancy and then needs to go through the procedure (as depicted in the cartoon) it's as if the government is pouring acid on the wound. There is no compassion here. They are making a political and religious stance at the expense of women who have already been knocked down and are at a low period in their lives.

Sun, 18 Mar 2012 12:43:02 UTC | #928271

Duff's Avatar Comment 19 by Duff

This is a "Republican war" only in the sense that the Republican masters, a tiny, rich minority, have pandered sufficiently to the ignorant, religious, simple people (but I repeat myself) to make them think they have their evangelical interests at heart, in order to get their votes, which the wealthy so desperately need to save their low tax rates.

Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:06:55 UTC | #928301

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 20 by aroundtown

There are multiple problems going on here regarding this issue and the trouble "as usual" is the product of religion. Mormons, Catholics, and others of their ilk seem to have a mental block that makes them incapable of contemplating their impact on us all with their unprotected copulation and subsequent expansion. The easiest way to see it is they feel no problem exists regarding the limited resources of the Earth because their invisible friend is going to make sure they get all they want eventually. That is the problem with them.

I had myself sterilized when I was twenty one years old after having one child and I can tell you what my effort meant. It meant exactly nothing. I live in a State in America where they drive around in Suv's the size of small busses and have little cutout silhouettes of their expansive family portrayed on the glass windows. Usually about 6-8 monkey units are portrayed in this display of arrogance. I found out very late in life that your ability to serve the health of mankind is greatly disadvantaged by the actions of an affected populace that does not share your convictions. The same goes for the abortion issue, it boggles my mind how they perceive those who wish to end their pregnancy's as a threat especially when you factor in their inability to address their uncontrolled copulation.

Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:32:22 UTC | #928341

CEVA34's Avatar Comment 21 by CEVA34

Trudeau's heart is in the right place, as they say. It's just a pity he's such a poor artist.

Sun, 18 Mar 2012 19:13:39 UTC | #928418

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 22 by Agrajag

Comment 21 by CEVA34

He's a cartoonist, FFS. What do you expect... Leonardo da Vinci? I think his illustrations get his message across very effectively.
Steve

Mon, 19 Mar 2012 03:00:20 UTC | #928530

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 23 by Richard Dawkins

Poor artist? I think his drawings are brilliant. And I'm so glad the story about the ludicrous censorship of Doonesbury has led me to rediscover the strip. I'd forgotten how much I love it and I shall follow it daily from now on.

Richard

Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:00:15 UTC | #928571

gr8hands's Avatar Comment 24 by gr8hands

I'm so glad the Chicago Tribune ran the strip in its original location: the comics page.

Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:43:11 UTC | #928713

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 25 by Alan4discussion

Comment 11 by Carl Sai Baba

The RCC and other evangelicals believe that a single cell zygote has a soul even before it grows into a blob! Many such blobs fail to implant and die, or spontaneously abort shortly afterwards, so those people should (if rational), expect their "heaven" to be teaming with souls which never had a brain! (perfectly normal theology then?)

Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:47:19 UTC | #928716

Functional Atheist's Avatar Comment 26 by Functional Atheist

Abortion, contraception, gays--the common denominator that drives the conservative Christians mad is a contravention of god's will that sex be for procreative purposes. Non-baby-making sex gives Jesus a sad face.

Another way of looking at it is the source of ultimate authority and power--someone, particularly a woman, who asserts personal autonomy and control of her own body by having an abortion, or by using contraception, is usurping power from god, or from god's approved proxies (like the Vatican, or her husband). Gay sex is another way of demonstrating personal autonomy which usurps god's perceived legitimate authority.

Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:31:31 UTC | #928744

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 27 by aroundtown

Comment 26 by Functional Atheist

Loved the suggested reasons for opposition. But the real reason I wanted to post was your - "Non-baby-making sex gives Jesus a sad face" comment. Simply brilliant and I am going to be laughing for days on that one. Loved it a lot...

Wed, 21 Mar 2012 02:54:05 UTC | #929173

PERSON's Avatar Comment 28 by PERSON

Comment 11 by Carl Sai Baba

It's a religious war on women, but the Reps have taken up the cause and systematically pushed and implemented legislation on its behalf. The Dems (for all their flaws) have not. Until the Reps roundly reject or sideline it, it's the Reps' war on women.

Thu, 22 Mar 2012 08:51:31 UTC | #929551