← Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless

Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless - Comments

emlyn's Avatar Comment 1 by emlyn

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:45:21 UTC | #928934

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 2 by Premiseless

IME it's the religious who get angry at the notion that their belief will not be given serious consideration as a fact of life.

Now I have no real issue with the state of mind that may feel something greater than its own consciousness may exist, but I immediately have a problem when any human mind claims to know this "suspect super mind" and stake claims as to what it wants and then bully humanity with its so called "wise love".

I think this is the "anger" the OP refers to, more correctly defined as the rights atheists exercise to defend their position against the anger religions display towards them and their wanting to bully atheists into accepting their myth as if a fact of life. The only fact religion has routinely established is in how it bullies and grooms human minds into a totalitarian dictatorial deceptive ritual, as if indeed it were scientific fact.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:54:36 UTC | #928938

Boogie's Avatar Comment 3 by Boogie

Comment 1 by emlyn :

Seconded!

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:05:38 UTC | #928940

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 4 by AtheistEgbert

Greta Christina's original article about why atheists are angry was brilliant, and I'm glad she's decided to expand and put it in print form.

However, anger should really mean passion--a passion that derives from our sense of injustice--gained by our ability to reason and liberate ourselves from the tyranny of non-thinking authoritarians.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:06:53 UTC | #928942

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 5 by aroundtown

Looks like another positive for the cause of sanity. I'll want to read it.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:22:15 UTC | #928947

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 6 by drumdaddy

1. Religion sucks trillions of annual dollars from a world budget that is reeling, and plans to take even more.
  2. Religion divides families, neighbors and nations, obliterating the harmony that could be achieved in reason-based societies.
  3. Religion grants the right to repeatedly beat a child.
  4. Religion grants the right to kill innocents.
  5. Religion grants the right to teach fables in place of science, civics, and ethics.
  6. Religion is used in commerce and politics to manipulate the masses for profit.
  7. Religion demeans those who believe it, and also those who don't.
  8. Religious evangelists are back inside the public schools of America, harvesting vulnerable children by instilling foundational fear into them despite livid protests from parents and educators.

I could go on, but which of the first eight examples falls short of a good reason to despise religion.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:24:50 UTC | #928948

debaser71's Avatar Comment 7 by debaser71

I avoid this blogger.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:25:50 UTC | #928949

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 8 by aroundtown

Comment 1 by emlyn I can only speak for myself, but as an atheist nothing angers me more than seeing human intelligence and intellectual capacity squandered on fairy tales, fear-mongering and self-defeating false positives.

Yeah I'll give that observation a shout-out as we stand here looking out on the field of the religiously deluded.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:26:32 UTC | #928950

1Sokkie's Avatar Comment 9 by 1Sokkie

I'm an atheist and I'm not angry at all.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:51:23 UTC | #928963

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 10 by strangebrew

My anger comes from the fact that the fairy tale fans demand insist never learn then issue dire ultimatums when an atheist declines their drooling sycophantic brain dead cult obsessions.

When they say ...'WHY?' we tell them what aspect they are contending is based on 'Read with Mother' and they automatically either condemn us to hell or ask why we are so fucking angry.

For over 10 years now I have been cursed to hell so many times I know the way blindfolded. I expect other members to this forum including Richard could open up a very lucrative tourist franchise there...I am on nodding acquaintance with 90% of the demons on site and on first names basis with the owner...we tend to get along just fine...the chess is outstanding!

It just gets repetitious and frankly beyond insulting every time an evangelical muppet crashes into a forum farts out noxious troll droppings and demands we all start to pay religion respect...when the question 'which one?'...the flounce is almost choreographed to a tee!...with the requisite and pompous..."I will pray for you!"...which is supposed to give the impression of a caring soul but instead it becomes impossible to miss the underlying bitterness, sarcasm and basic hatreds...probably spawned by fear...of atheists and other non committed. They then go trotting back to hive mind central and deliver the "I just but smoted a forum of unbelievers to his greater glory! " ..then preen in the reflected glory a couple of days before venturing forth on another mission to the ungodly!

But apart from these wannabee vacuous bit players my greatest anger is at the so called 'learned men' at the pinnacle of these houses of prevarication and lies that..if they have even half a supposedly educated brain must know that they are peddling codswollop of the finest vintage.

The obvious conclusion is that they consider the 'god is all things to all men' mantra is just a handy and trite dishonesty perpetrated to control, manipulate and enact their own petty and vacuous prejudices in which the top honcho's actively encourage to infect their flock, and because the brain dead get to scratch their own flatulent spite filled itch!...the head honcho's get to bath in the adulation of corrupt ignorance. Simply cos the head honcho's said they could!

But the bigotry, the hatreds, sensationalist fear, the incredibly dim but vicious intolerances and above all the utter reliance of deep and turgid ignorance in their flock is not something anyone whether acolyte or other can should or would contemplate is in any way as a reason to 'respect' or indeed be proud of it is a bad to the bone, ulterior seeking clot of vapid and ridiculous bilious nonsense! A stain and ugly painful carbuncle on the ass end of humanity tis all it is!

These dumb fucks want me to curtail to their fairy tale...I shall fucking well have none of it...the premise and the execution of their delusion makes me physically sick.

That is why I am angry!...get outta my face theist..I am a coming through!

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:06:41 UTC | #928970

yanquetino's Avatar Comment 11 by yanquetino

Just glancing through the sample pages at Amazon convinced me that I'll be buying this book for sure! As Greta ennumerated the many reasons why we atheists can feel angry, my blood started to boil also. I especially had to grit my teeth at point 38, when she started to address Mormonism, since that is the cult that I escaped from.

It reminded me how angry I feel that the Mormon Cult has honed to perfection the use of the psychological tools of guilt, shame, conformity, and obedience to authority to make anyone who harbors questions or doubts feel like there must be "something wrong with me." It took me literally decades before I could dare to realize that my faults and flaws have nothing to do with the fact that the friggin' Nephites never existed.

And I feel angry when I think how all my former friends and family, even my own daughters, have marginalized me from their lives --and my grandchildren's lives-- because I could no longer feign a belief in a religion that all the scientific, archaeological, and historial evidence has now proven a complete and utter fraud. Indeed, I am angry when I think that one of those daughters actually chewed me out royally last Christmas for giving her oldest child Dawkins' The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True. How dare I, as an educator by profession my whole life, actually try to educate my grandchildren about the wonders of science...! Harrumph.

Sorry, but Greta stirred up the boiling kettle for me --and rightfully so! Can't wait to read the entire book.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:17:43 UTC | #928974

richard7766's Avatar Comment 12 by richard7766

As a theist, all I can say is ignorance is bliss.

Heck, even I can write a book about religion or religions and vent my anger at the destructive and shameful "fruit" or "works" of religion that have taken place over the centuries.

But, I am still a theist, because I know about the strong delusion sent.

Anyway, see 2 Peter 2:2 verses 1 and 2.

The atheist sees the shameful works of apostate Christianity, then thinks that is somehow evidence or proof that the bible is untrue. To do that is, er, not very reasonable. It only appears somewhat reasonable, to those not in possession of facts that illuminate.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:02:56 UTC | #928988

jameshogg's Avatar Comment 13 by jameshogg

"Let fury have the hour! Anger can be power! D'you know that you can use it?!"

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:08:51 UTC | #928989

Tony d's Avatar Comment 14 by Tony d

Damn didn't know i was supposed to be angry.That really gives me the hump! Grrr oh that's more like it.

No it's to strenuous.

I am a laughing atheist.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:12:45 UTC | #928991

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 15 by aroundtown

Comment 12 by richard7766 As a theist, all I can say is ignorance is bliss.

But, I am still a theist, because I know about the strong delusion sent.

Anyway, see 2 Peter 2:2 verses 1 and 2.

I would suggest you research the nicene creed established in 325ad where the fable was largely cobbled together for the most part from the varied myths of that time. The bible went through further manipulation by "mankind" after this event but it was largely imagined with the nicene creed in 325ad.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:16:33 UTC | #928993

peter mayhew's Avatar Comment 16 by peter mayhew

Fantastic: I'm buying it today.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:24:13 UTC | #928996

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 17 by aquilacane

I'm just angry in general.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:32:00 UTC | #928998

richard7766's Avatar Comment 18 by richard7766

Personally, I have no qualms over atheists feeling indignant over the pernicious ways of apostate Christianity.

But, it's another thing again for atheists to claim some superior capacity, in the way they look at things, to determine whether the bible is true or false.

In short, it's not allowable to conclude that the bible is not true upon examination of traditional Christianity. All you are doing is observing apostate Christinity, which cannot tell you anything about whether the bible is true or false.

Perfect right to feel indignant though about what you take as being religion. Which isn't the real deal anyway.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:33:43 UTC | #928999

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 19 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 15 by aroundtown

Anyway, see 2 Peter 2:2 verses 1 and 2.

Furthermore, second Peter is pseudepigraphical.....which is a polite way of saying it's a forgery.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:35:02 UTC | #929000

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 20 by aroundtown

It is certainly allowable and Occam's razor will suffice - selection among competing hypotheses that which makes the fewest assumptions and thereby offers the simplest explanation of the effect. Bible + no evidence = fantasy

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:46:08 UTC | #929006

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 21 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:49:41 UTC | #929008

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 22 by Tyler Durden

Comment 12 by richard7766 :

Any evidence, or facts, for "Adam and Eve", or "Noah's Ark", a global flood, or a great Exodus?

If so, please present for examination, and discussion. Burden of Proof lies with you.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:51:26 UTC | #929009

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 23 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 18 by richard7766

So is the bible true? All of it I mean? No lies at all?

FFS what lot of bollocks....why don't you try reading the friggin' thing and stop trying the old smoke and mirrors apologist pretzelman routine.

We all know it's whatever delusion that you, the individual, can square in your own head....it's just too funny to sit back and watch the cabaret without interaction.

Genesis 2:17

'But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.'

That verse is a lie....God lied...Adam and Eve didn't die on the day they ate from the tree of knowledge. Adam lived until he was 930 years of age, if your a believer of the nonsense.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:52:31 UTC | #929011

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 24 by strangebrew

Comment 12 by richard7766

As a theist, all I can say is ignorance is bliss.

We have noticed the antipathy to knowledge...real knowledge that afflicts the besotted!

But we know you will not...you can but you won't...you are by your own admittance part of the problem.

But, I am still a theist, because I know about the strong delusion sent.

Nope...you think you know...you even seem to admit it is a delusion but anyway describe to us this god that you boast that you know! Let us compare a few notes...you will not enjoy it...but theists have thick hides I am sure you will survive.

Anyway, see 2 Peter 2:2 verses 1 and 2.

We know that there are false prophets...and we know to each and every individual drooler of jeebus there is a lie....why do you think that your peers think the atheists are angry...because they want to believe we are incoherent in our frothing rage...who tells you we are angry?... your leader in bollix?....your fellow delusional?... you?....

It is not the colour of the delusion it is the stench of self serving destructive hatred that emanates out of every single church, synagogue and mosque. It is not just your personal religion...tacky as it is...it is not those foreign devils that fly into buildings it is not the instigator of the middle east situation It is the po faced discrimination and outright hatred of folks that do not require such a mental crutch to function in the world ...we do not need to lurch from one revelation to the next.

It is the attitude of a self serving self aggrandising self manufactured heap of pigswill called theology...and the muppets that think it ever so clever to fool the weak of mind in to believing they have a point!
So banal and dishonest...yet you are a theist..that say's a lot about your character...more then you would or indeed should feel comfortable with.

Pretending that every other cult has got it wrong and are false prophets might assuage your guilt or even your doubts but we see the trick from a better angle..it is not convincing and very amateur.

Not even...takes more then a few shysters to convince the average atheist.

To do that is, er, not very reasonable.

No indeed it is not...it requires much more...and we have it in spades..is is nominally called scientific evidence.

Like yourself!

You can believe any fatuous fairy tale you want...just do not expect atheists to applaud your mendacity.

And do not expect us to follow your cult...because it is as false as all the other ones you apparently think the problem lies!

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:53:10 UTC | #929012

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 25 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 21 by richard7766

I have faith the bible is true, because of various reasons.

Go on then....which Nativity? Which one is true?

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:56:33 UTC | #929013

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 26 by Ignorant Amos

@ richard7766

Why did Cain not get smite for murdering his bro?

Who was Cain's missus and where'd she come from?

Was the Universe and all in it, created on Sunday, 23 October, 4004 BC?

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:02:11 UTC | #929015

Daryl 's Avatar Comment 27 by Daryl

I think it's so fascinating that the "religious" are allowed to be angry and spout all sorts of zeal that justifies violence against anyone who doesn't agree with them. Think of the words that are used to define unbelievers of whatever sect: heretic; apostate. What do atheists use to describe "others": Misguided, stupid (OK, stupid dumb SOB in my case), but which is worse? Who demands the death penalty on unbelievers? Who is it that mandates teaching ignorance to our children?

The golden rule is, BTW, wrong, as any salesman knows. It's NOT Do unto others as they would do unto you, but Do unto others as THEY want to be treated. First, I love using unto in a sentence, and second, the only way to make a sale, or convince someone is to speak "their" language. Trying simply to speak with reason and evidence to someone who has neither, nor wants to hear it, will get you nowhere. They are angry and loud, and THAT is the language they understand.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:13:48 UTC | #929018

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 28 by Ignorant Amos

Richard? Yohoo! Richard? ....ya haven't baled have ya? There was me gonna ask ya what ya thought Yeshua Ha'Mashiach's last words were before he temporarily expired on the cross?

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:16:48 UTC | #929019

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 29 by aroundtown

Comment 26 by Ignorant Amos

+1 and Thank you.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:20:01 UTC | #929020

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 30 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 27 by Daryl

I'm a fan of "Honi soit qui mal y pense" which means "Shame be to him who thinks evil of it", but is oft translated as "Evil be to him who evil thinks" and is tattoo'd on my leg.

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:22:48 UTC | #929022