← 10 Reasons Why We Should Explore The Deep

10 Reasons Why We Should Explore The Deep - Comments

Bolland's Avatar Comment 1 by Bolland

Is the sharp end the bow? I can't tell.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:18:22 UTC | #930969

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 2 by Alan4discussion

The worth of exploration is only evaluated when the discoveries or the lack of them come in. All sorts of scientific understandings have opened up (volcanic vents, brine-seep-lakes etc) from earlier deep sea exploration and photography.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:08:08 UTC | #930978

Tord M's Avatar Comment 3 by Tord M

A lot of big words in that article, and I agree with all of it, but mostly with reason number 10. To me (and I think a lot of other people, probably including James Cameron) the most important reason why we should explore the deep seas is this:

I'm curious, and I would really like to know what sorts of strange phenomena and organisms exist down there!

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:41:26 UTC | #931000

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 4 by rod-the-farmer

......mistake such vanity tourism for important discovery

Hahahahaha. Sorry. I would dearly love to hear what the author of that remark considers interesting.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:56:47 UTC | #931004

Katy Cordeth's Avatar Comment 5 by Katy Cordeth

No 6. Through exploration, nations become great.

We should go to the moon or trench simply because we have not been there before or not been there enough. To not go is to deny our very nature. We should go because we are driven to rise to a challenge presented.

Or, as George Mallory famously said when asked why he wanted to climb Everest, "Because it's there".

By the way, is it just me or does the cephalopod in the picture not look exactly like a folded umbrella? One for the development people at the Richard Dawkins Foundation store perhaps?

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 20:39:04 UTC | #931010

adiroth's Avatar Comment 6 by adiroth

Translation: While it's not directly relevant to science right now, I scientists are glad that some rich bigwigs are spending lots of cash on projects that will result in future scientific discovery.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:24:04 UTC | #931018

Capt. Bloodeye's Avatar Comment 7 by Capt. Bloodeye

The attitude that it isn't important to discover everything about everything or anything is astonishing to me. 'Because it's there' is the finest of sentiments. To paraphrase Dawkins paraphrase; science is interesting. If you don't agree, you can fuck off.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:53:33 UTC | #931050

AsylumWarden's Avatar Comment 8 by AsylumWarden

Let's not forget that when Faraday was messing around with electricity he was shunned with such remarks as' Electricity is just a scientists' toy. Steam has given us everything we need.' I don't think anyone here now thinks he was wrong to go prodding around in areas which were seemingly useless at the time.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:55:01 UTC | #931051

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 9 by Vorlund

We may not know how important it is if we don't look it's as simple as that.

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 07:00:49 UTC | #931117

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 10 by Stafford Gordon

It's always good to explore, isn't it? I thought that was what science is about.

It's not the application of discoveries, as politicians like to think, to raise tax for instance, it's the discoveries themselves.

Apparantly, to start with, no one had a clue what to do with a device that generates an intense narrow beam of coherent monochomatic light by stimulating the emission of protons from excited atoms or molecules - lasers.

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:47:59 UTC | #931133

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 11 by Stafford Gordon

comment 8: Asylum Warden.

I understand that when Faraday was asked what use electricity would be, he said he didn't yet know, but that in time a way would be found to tax what ever use it was put to.

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:02:21 UTC | #931136

Slugsie's Avatar Comment 12 by Slugsie

Are people really so jaded these days that the reason 'Because I can' is no longer enough for doing extra-ordinary things?

More people have walked on the surface of another rock orbiting the sun than have seen first hand the very bottom of the sea. How can going there in person NOT be reason enough to do it?

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:00:11 UTC | #931163

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 13 by aroundtown

It use to be enough that the challenge was simply there. I know that the discovery's would marvel those who appreciate looking for the answers to questions that are yet to be known. When you think of the money that has been pissed away on wars you have to wonder what we might have accomplished had those funds been used for inquiry of that we don't have full knowledge of yet and it just happens to be in our own back yard (ocean) for research and study. I hope this brain drain ends before to much longer.

Sat, 31 Mar 2012 02:22:31 UTC | #931486

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 14 by Alan4discussion

When Chris. Columbus tried to get sponsorship for a voyage of exploration across the Atlantic, most of the Kings of Europe thought it was not worth the investment! Nothing of value would come of it! ( Hang on a minute?)

Mon, 02 Apr 2012 15:01:18 UTC | #931918