← 'Gay cure' Christian charity funded 20 MPs' interns

'Gay cure' Christian charity funded 20 MPs' interns - Comments

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 1 by Alan4discussion

it sponsored a London conference about homosexuality and Christianity which included sessions on "mentoring the sexually broken".

So when will there be sessions on "mentoring the mentally broken" ?

The event in London was also organised by Anglican Mainstream, one of the conservative Christian charities

Isn't lying for Jebus a well honed skill - even in name selection. Anglican Mainstream as opposed to Anglican Nutbranch!

Obviously acting on revelations of TROOOOooooo religion!

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:15:36 UTC | #934624

Zeuglodon's Avatar Comment 2 by Zeuglodon

I'm confused. How do you convert a person of one sexual orientation to another? Is it even possible, given how entrenched the psychology of sex must be in any person's mind? Sexual feelings are powerful emotions.

Second of all, why would you want to convert? I thought the idea was to understand that there was nothing wrong with being non-straight (if you're wondering why I'm not saying gay, it's because I've got bisexualism and other orientations in mind). It's as incomprehensible to me as the idea of paying a lot of money for a sex change or for plastic surgery. Just why would you waste so many resources on something so pointless?

In any case, the idea of therapy implies that the client has something to be distressed about. What could that be in the case of homosexuality?

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:36:52 UTC | #934627

papa lazaru's Avatar Comment 3 by papa lazaru

Ironic isn't it.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:45:16 UTC | #934628

Zeuglodon's Avatar Comment 4 by Zeuglodon

Comment 3 by papa lazaru

Ironic isn't it.

I don't understand that comment. Ironic in what way?

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:54:06 UTC | #934630

strangebrew's Avatar Comment 5 by strangebrew

I think this should ring the loudest alarm bells in 'christendom'

This is blatant xian infiltration...what other reason exists?

This is really quite unacceptable that such a toxic group of bigoted intolerant scam merchants should have the slightest influence in the highest ramparts of a secular government. This coalition is an utter disgrace on all fronts from policy to personality, and not just on the government benches.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:11:43 UTC | #934632

Evil Atheist's Avatar Comment 6 by Evil Atheist

Comment 4 by Zeuglodon :

Comment 3 by papa lazaru

Ironic isn't it.

I don't understand that comment. Ironic in what way?

Because homophobia is the main reason for any distress. With these ads they imply that homosexuality is inherently bad and something that needs to be cured... then they talk about how relieved 'ex-gays' are when they succeed in 'curing' them. Do they ever wonder why gay people would want to be so desperately straight?

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:15:19 UTC | #934633

Stonyground's Avatar Comment 7 by Stonyground

There is an excellent post about this here:

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:43:39 UTC | #934638

hemidemisemigod's Avatar Comment 8 by hemidemisemigod

Wow! So not only do Christians condemn homosexuality as a "sin" but they claim they can also cure it like an illness.

John: 9 Mark: 0

And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was gay from his birth.

And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born gay?

Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

I know I said unto you love they neighbour, but this isn't what I had in mind.

I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the gay man with the clay,

And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, He went his way therefore, and washed, and was straight.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:48:46 UTC | #934639

RobertJames's Avatar Comment 9 by RobertJames

I was gay and then... Cured. Praise be to God, awesome work.

Actually now I come to think of it I might become gay just to annoy them.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:53:45 UTC | #934641

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 10 by Chris Roberts

Why the hell is a charity funding interns in the government?

Their methods are disgusting, and their ideals are disgusting.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:58:07 UTC | #934643

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 11 by Flapjack

Comment 8 by hemidemisemigod

It's a standard snake oil sales technique... create a bogus need [in this case by browbeating your intended clientelle into a state of neurotic self loathing over many many years] then flog-em the high-priced placebos to cure it with.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 17:03:06 UTC | #934645

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 12 by Rich Wiltshir

If a car mechanic said oil pressures are optional...

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 17:08:06 UTC | #934646

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 13 by rod-the-farmer

How about we fund heterosexual, atheist altar assistants, big/strong enough to play rugby and who also tried out for the boxing team..

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 17:11:20 UTC | #934647

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 14 by Alan4discussion

Comment 10 by Chris Roberts

Why the hell is a charity funding interns in the government?

Apart from exerting prejudice in influencing MPs in their offices,

Let me guess:-

Plans to charge VAT on alterations to church buildings from October were a "kick in the teeth", the Anglican Bishop of Lancaster has said.

Alterations to listed buildings, many of which are churches, will be subject to 20% VAT instead of being zero-rated.

The Right Reverend Geoff Pearson said it would put added pressure on Lancashire churches already struggling with maintenance costs. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-17577428

The VAT change was announced by Chancellor George Osborne in the Budget on 21 March.

It means VAT charged on alterations on listed buildings will be brought into line with VAT on repairs and maintenance, which is already subject to the 20% standard rate.

Bishop Geoff said the plans imposed an unfair burden on the church as it sought to preserve the nation's heritage.

He said: "This is going to make it even harder for church communities to raise the necessary money for their buildings.

"We bear the brunt of all this. In other countries, they are helped through various taxes."

...Mmmmm.....

Comment 12 by Rich Wiltshir - It's time to halt the tax privileges for institutions that undermine knowledge, education and understanding.

Wait for the chorus of screams! Unfair!!!!!!!!!!!! Victimisation!!!!!!!

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 17:18:40 UTC | #934649

Sliver69's Avatar Comment 15 by Sliver69

Why can't people just let consenting adults practice their own sexual desires in their own homes regardless of gender. If two same sex couples love each other, what harm are they doing ? This bigotry and intolerance really saddens me.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 17:20:03 UTC | #934650

Wyocowboy's Avatar Comment 16 by Wyocowboy

it seems a lot of these ex-gays are taking their funding and ideas to other countries that are homophobes (which for the most part Britian isn't) because they know they are losing in America and to keep their jobs they have to be funded some how. Eventually ex-gay will close. What would Maggie Gallaher, Brian Brown and the others do????

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 17:20:04 UTC | #934651

ridelo's Avatar Comment 17 by ridelo

Why not a course for turning heteros into homos? A good start for getting a more liveable planet.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:56:07 UTC | #934675

Zeuglodon's Avatar Comment 18 by Zeuglodon

Comment 6 by Evil Atheist

I see. Snake oil salesman scare tactics, as Comment 11 by Flapjack calls them. As if people's sex lives are any business of theirs. Besides a doctor at a sex clinic, who on earth thinks they're qualified to offer "therapy" on a person's sexual orientation? On what authority or qualifications?

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:56:12 UTC | #934676

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 19 by irate_atheist

Bloody loons. Nothing else to be said, is there.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:56:20 UTC | #934677

Katy Cordeth's Avatar Comment 20 by Katy Cordeth

Comment Removed by Author

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:02:08 UTC | #934678

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 21 by Border Collie

Pray away the gay! Can I hear an AMEN, brothers and sisters?!

I was flipping through channels last night and flipped by FOX. In less than five seconds I heard Sarah Palin proclaim that God had created trillions of cubic feet of natural gas in the Earth just for us. I couldn't hit the button fast enough ...

Hallelujah!!! Can I hear another AMEN, brothers and sisters?!

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 22:42:35 UTC | #934691

Metamag's Avatar Comment 22 by Metamag

Comment 10 by Chris Roberts :

Why the hell is a charity funding interns in the government?

That's actually more worrying than the whole gay thing.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 23:02:38 UTC | #934694

sheepcat's Avatar Comment 23 by sheepcat

The gay cure thing is interesting to me from a utilitarian standpoint.

If choosing to live as gay would mean losing all your friends and family might a lot of gay men not seek a way out?

It is a massive decision and I could understand if men from certain communities who find they are gay opt to deny their sexuality in order to keep the life they have rather than leave everyone they love.

A tough decision.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 23:13:22 UTC | #934696

Katy Cordeth's Avatar Comment 24 by Katy Cordeth

@Comment 21 by Border Collie

I've heard the divine Ms Palin express the same sentiment on many occasions: that everything in existence on the third rock has been placed here by God for our use.

She's on record as saying that hunting must be acceptable because God chose to make animals out of meat. "Which is what we eat, ay?"

I've always wondered what her views are on marijuana are.

Or cannibalism.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 23:17:16 UTC | #934698

papa lazaru's Avatar Comment 25 by papa lazaru

Ironic isn't it.

I don't understand that comment. Ironic in what way?

How should I put it... It would be like asking the bully who keeps harassing you to make you feel better.

I've posted that before, but it's still relevant :

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 23:29:26 UTC | #934701

Katy Cordeth's Avatar Comment 26 by Katy Cordeth

@comment 24

One fewer 'are' would have been the ideal.

Sat, 14 Apr 2012 23:54:28 UTC | #934705

cerad's Avatar Comment 27 by cerad

Well I for one freely admit to being sexually broke but only because prostitutes as so frigging expensive. I'm really hoping this will be covered under ObamaCare.

Sun, 15 Apr 2012 00:58:43 UTC | #934714

ShinobiYaka's Avatar Comment 28 by ShinobiYaka

"It's a complete disgrace that any elected representative would have associations with an organisation that promotes a (Insert any issue here) in the 21st century,"

What surprises me is that despite overwhelming and damning evidence to the contrary, there are still people who claim to be shocked even horrified by our politician’s lack of a basic or even elementary ability to exercise the simplest moral judgement, the problem is I’m afraid, we no longer have “politicians” rather we have a political “class” and there lay the problem which in some small measure explains why these people could ingratiate themselves with not only “politicians” from a single self-proclaimed ideology but also with those, who’s ideologies (in theory) are supposedly completely distinct.

Well dear reader, do you grasp the real issue?

Sun, 15 Apr 2012 01:05:40 UTC | #934715

Katy Cordeth's Avatar Comment 29 by Katy Cordeth

Comment 27 by cerad :

You don't specify whether it's the services of male or female prostitutes you're seeking to procure and whose charges you find so prohibitively costly.

If it's women, then can I just say, as a member of the Distaffia (a word I think I may have just coined after a quick google search produced no results, and which Rush Limbaugh is welcome to appropriate for a modestly large fee if he gets tired of using 'Feminazi'), ewww, gross.

On the other hand, though: Distaff side + Mafia = Distaffia. If ABC can produce two lame-ass shows called Cougar Town and American Housewives, then surely Distaffia, a compelling drama about female mafiosos....With, I'm thinking, Gina Gershon or Christina Ricci in the Tony Soprano-esque role....And there has to part for that Illeana Douglas or I'm out.

My God, it's true what they say: there's no 'off' position on the genius switch.

Sun, 15 Apr 2012 02:41:26 UTC | #934736

Roedy's Avatar Comment 30 by Roedy

Why are they making these claims when they know perfectly well they are bogus?

1. to extract money from naive gays.

2. to justify persecution of gays.

3. sheer spite