← Group finds circadian clock common to almost all life forms

Group finds circadian clock common to almost all life forms - Comments

JuJu's Avatar Comment 1 by JuJu

Oh great. The Biorhythm quacks are going to think science has somehow validated their crazy beliefs.

Fri, 18 May 2012 13:59:16 UTC | #942182

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 2 by God fearing Atheist

Unfortunately, the team has not yet been able to show how or if the enzyme controls other clock mechanisms that are a part of feedback loops.

What a huge hole!

The team suggests that peroxiredoxins developed their cyclical behavior just after organisms began to develop some two and half million years ago

"two and a half billion"?

Given the day was shorted 2.5 billion years ago, the peroxiredoxins must have evolved to maintain a circadian period in every lineage of organism. Different evolutionary lines may have evolved different DNA sequences producing a protein with the same period. If the circadian period is coincidence, evolution by natural selection may have conserved the original DNA sequence, optimised for its original function. Does the "highly conserved active region" therefore argue against its use in feedback?

Fri, 18 May 2012 14:03:58 UTC | #942183

jbkaffe's Avatar Comment 3 by jbkaffe

What a huge hole!

Not necessarily. If it evolved primarily as a way to get rid of excessive oxygen through work, I see no hole here.

I think you should define 'coincidence' if you want to throw it in the equation.

These little buggers may very well come in handy again at some point. :-)

Fri, 18 May 2012 20:26:13 UTC | #942224

stuhillman's Avatar Comment 4 by stuhillman

I thought that several tests on humans where all feedback loops - such as light and dark - are eliminated, resulted in the 24-hour daily cycle being reduced by several hours. The idea is that the system for regulating our 24-hour response slipped back to the time when these biological systems were first incorporated into living organisms at a time when the days were shorter because the earth revolved more rapidly.

I understand that the present research did include the 24-hour clues provided by our current place in the solar system. And, as for comment 1 (JuJu), biorythms do exist and a proper understanding of them should be taken out of the Woo camp and incorporated in our ever expanding understanding of the human condition.

Sat, 19 May 2012 08:22:34 UTC | #942269

JuJu's Avatar Comment 5 by JuJu

Comment 4 by stuhillman

There are the quack biorythms which don't match with reality, and there are the biorythms that are understandable and do match with reality. They are two separate ideas that have almost nothing in common, like astrology and cosmology.

Sat, 19 May 2012 16:01:53 UTC | #942296

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 6 by Stafford Gordon

For decades I've not carried anything with me that tells the time, with the result that I can guess what it is within a few minutes either way.

I've never bothered to set the clock on a phone for instance, and when I wake up of a morning I first judge what time it is before looking at the alarm, and almost invariably I'm on the ball.

I've been aware of my circadian rhythm for yonks.

In fact, on one occasion I received a very strange look from one of my daughters when I told her the time before she had had a chance to look at her watch/phone, I forget which it was.

Sun, 20 May 2012 08:48:13 UTC | #942365