← Look Now for Venus to Cross the Sun, or Wait Another Century

Look Now for Venus to Cross the Sun, or Wait Another Century - Comments

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 1 by Alternative Carpark

At the rate we are going, there may be no one around to view the next one, period.

A viewed the annular eclipse with my own naked eyes, (if you are going to look at it through a dark filter, you might as well watch it on TV), twas triffic. However, I assume that Venus, given its relative small size, will be obscured by the brightness of the sun and will have to be filtered in some way in order to be visible at all.

Tue, 29 May 2012 00:46:49 UTC | #944116

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 2 by QuestioningKat

I'm glad I found this article; I almost forgot. I'll be on vacation this day and will be sure to find a high spot for optimum viewing. If I understand the info correctly, is the best time to view the transit is at sunset? If the transit lasts 6 hours and 40 minutes, I assume that the transit can be watched for most of the day correct? If so, why am I reading to view the eclipse at sunset? Is there somewhere online I can look to find start times?

Tue, 29 May 2012 00:56:55 UTC | #944119

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 3 by QuestioningKat

I viewed a solar eclipse many years ago. Being fortunate to live in an optimum viewing area, I was upset that I did not have solar glasses and really wanted to see the event. I stacked a long row of slides taped together (over 8" thick) maybe it was less, but I recall a long telescope of slides. I was able to safely view the event and I was truly glad that I did this. I don't regret looking through a dark filter. TV couldn't beat this experience. I will remember it for the rest of my life. During the eclipse, the daylight became bizarre and rings of cast shadows on the ground were made by the leaves. I don't think I will ever see the world like this again.

Yes, this transit will not be that dramatic, but viewing it live beats watching it on TV.

Tue, 29 May 2012 02:16:05 UTC | #944129

Stevezar's Avatar Comment 4 by Stevezar

Comment 1 by Alternative Carpark :

I think at the rate we we going there will be many billions, like 10. What population growth charts you looking at, eh? Optimist!

Tue, 29 May 2012 02:16:58 UTC | #944130

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 5 by Vorlund

Any new yorkers in a high rise able to get a clip onto youtube for us?

Tue, 29 May 2012 06:04:11 UTC | #944156

scottishgeologist's Avatar Comment 6 by scottishgeologist

I managed to see the 2004 transit - just. The weather was coludy, but the clouds parted right at the end so I saw the "egress" phase of the transit. Using a telescope fitted with a solar filter is a great way to see it - I would recommend checking out local astronomical societies to see if they are having a "transit day" event

The trouble with this one (for UK based observers) is that the sun will be rising with the transit in progress. Really early in the morning!

Still worth the effort though. I wont see another. My children probably wont either. Its quite a thought.

Wonder what the god botherers will make of it.....

:-)) SG

Tue, 29 May 2012 10:13:21 UTC | #944195

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 7 by QuestioningKat

Wonder what the god botherers will make of it.....

More likely the woo astrologers. Here are perfect examples of how astrology has many possible interpretations. Venus represents love, the feminine, feminine energy. The Sun power, outward personality, tons on energy. Notice how the first interpretation combines feminine energy and power with current events. While the second combines love and outward personality with personal issues. You can tailor the meaning to the situation. It acts like a Rorschach test.

"On the surface of it, together they mean something very successful and powerful, but on this occasion they might just SAVE THE PLANET! Sort of a cosmic Superman and Superwoman actually. For if you haven't noticed, Earth is in trouble and we need a miracle. We are heavily over-populated and we are indulging in massive over-consumerism. Debt has fuelled over-inflation and the over-consumption of our planets raw materials. In short, we have been asleep in the wheelhouse of the Titanic for the last two decades and now we need a miracle! So hopefully, this Venus Transit can deliver one......

Here is another:

"Sun conjunct Venus would generally make us “charismatic, charming, and lovers not fighters“, with our love nature intensified by the Sun, we will be much more in need of love and affection, and also wanting to express love to those close to us, who we most care about. Venus Retrograde means that “our love lives enter a fated period where we may relive past life experiences in order to sort out karmic issues. Old friends or lovers may reappear and there may be more difficulty in giving and receiving love and affection“. Venus and Sun square Mars will create anger and resentment, we won’t put up with any more crap in our relationships. This is a love/hate aspect, we may sort out the differences through passionate and intense sex, or through screaming and fighting.

Venus is usually thought of as peaceful and loving, but in some ancient cultures such as the Mayan’s, she was seen as the goddess of war, especially when retrograde. Now Sun and Venus square Mars does indicate conflict. Moon conjunct Pluto intensifies our feelings even further and represents emotional compulsion, emotional manipulation, jealousy and even pathological instincts. Uranus square Pluto will only make this volatile set of aspects even more explosive. The dramatic change is now made very personal with the Moon on Pluto. The Moon also rules our past, and with Venus retrograde, some of us could be in for some intense encounters with old lovers and even current ones. "

Tue, 29 May 2012 11:36:06 UTC | #944203

Anvil's Avatar Comment 8 by Anvil

Comment 2 by QuestioningKat :

Is there somewhere online I can look to find start times?

Transit of Venus transit times. Just type in your address/zip code/postcode/whatever.

Anvil.

Tue, 29 May 2012 13:50:01 UTC | #944218

Anvil's Avatar Comment 9 by Anvil

Unfortunately here, North East England, we only get from 05:37:09 to 05:54:41 - with a 78% chance of cloud. Doh!

Still, I'm fixing a pair of binoculars to a tripod as we speak.

If all goes well we could all take some measurements and check the parallax - see if any of those pesky scientists were lying to us.

Once we get that baseline sorted - who knows where we'll end up!

Anvil

Tue, 29 May 2012 14:04:23 UTC | #944220

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 10 by Schrodinger's Cat

I'm just amazed that the author of the article was so busy telling us not to miss the transit, that in the whole of his article he doesn't say when it is beyond a 'next Tuesday' !

Here's something a little more concise......

Tue, 29 May 2012 16:10:43 UTC | #944252

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 11 by Alan4discussion

Here on this link, is a nice photo-sequence of the June 8 2004 Venus transit of the Sun, and a video showing some transits in motion.

Tue, 29 May 2012 18:34:30 UTC | #944277

bluebird's Avatar Comment 12 by bluebird

To honor the occasion, I will listen to 'Venus, Bringer of Peace'.

Tue, 29 May 2012 19:27:40 UTC | #944294

kev_s's Avatar Comment 13 by kev_s

Agree with other comments about 'Next Tuesday'. The article was published on Mon May 28th so 'Next Tuesday' might be today (29th) or Tuesday June 6th. The link at http://transitofvenus.nl/wp/where-when/local-transit-times/ tells me the transit centre is at 03:29 which is an odd time to be able to view the sun even if there is a transit. P.S. I'm in Italy

Tue, 29 May 2012 19:43:26 UTC | #944302

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 14 by QuestioningKat

Comment 8 by Anvil :

Comment 2 by QuestioningKat :

Is there somewhere online I can look to find start times?

Anvil.

Thanks, That's the one I tried. I get undefined NaNaNa.

Tue, 29 May 2012 22:55:22 UTC | #944331

Planetary Paul's Avatar Comment 15 by Planetary Paul

I'm planning to do a webcast if all goes well: http://pablito.home.xs4all.nl/Zon/Venus_2012/VenusTransitsTheSun.html

Wed, 30 May 2012 00:27:53 UTC | #944341

Anvil's Avatar Comment 16 by Anvil

Will try and follow that.

Thanks Paul.

Anvil.

Wed, 30 May 2012 08:51:41 UTC | #944419

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 17 by Alan4discussion

For anyone interested in watching solar events via space satellites, they can down-load free JHelioviewer open-source software. This gives live and years of archived video images of solar activity.

JHelioviewer is new visualization software that enables everyone, anywhere to explore the Sun... http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/

Wed, 30 May 2012 10:16:44 UTC | #944432