← Public Acceptance of Evolution

Public Acceptance of Evolution - Comments

savroD's Avatar Comment 1 by savroD

Hmmmmm..... I guess the ugly american has finally come true!

Thu, 08 Mar 2007 18:41:00 UTC | #22600

MIND_REBEL's Avatar Comment 2 by MIND_REBEL

Evolution denial is morally reprehensible.

Thu, 08 Mar 2007 18:42:00 UTC | #22601

DarwinLoves's Avatar Comment 3 by DarwinLoves

I am ashamed for my country, the U.S.! I am absolutely disgusted by the revealing results of this study. I recently received my BS in biology this past spring, so I especially feel like I have been slapped in the face. My scientific background has had a significant impact on my views and ideals as an atheist. Atheists will never be understood, appreciated, or respected in the U.S. until scientific literacy is strengthened in the school systems. Unforunately that won't change the working knowledge of adults now or any time soon. I feel as if my country still believes that the Earth is flat and I am surrounded by morons... Luckily, this group is an outlet and a haven which gives me hope that some people in this world actually think for themselves and seek knowledge when the realize they don't have it!

Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:01:00 UTC | #22604

neander's Avatar Comment 4 by neander

As a high school science teacher in a very fundamentalist area I have a lot of fun leading the kids to the facts. Happy to say that I've had several nasty encounters, all of which have ended in better educated kids and parents.
Good education about genetics is definately the answer!

Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:10:00 UTC | #22606

Nazgul's Avatar Comment 5 by Nazgul

Hey... way up here... hay... this is Canada.... the second largest land-mass country in the world!!! What about us??? I would think we are about 60% to 70% in favor.

Thu, 08 Mar 2007 20:09:00 UTC | #22615

Veronique's Avatar Comment 6 by Veronique

Poor DarwinLoves. Don't feel too bad. Your poor country is being hijacked and dumbed down in the process.

If it makes you feel less embarrassed, remember that this religious literalist phenomenon is spreading like a cancer throughout countries that should know better. It's growing in the UK and here in Australia. Turkey and similar countries, I can understand better. But all our countries have access to the best that education has to offer. Grapple that to you with hoops of steel and never forget that education will always be the key. The mad religites know it, they indoctrinate early and use fear as the motivator. We have to use reason early, questioning all the time and that helps to shore up against unreason and credulous belief in superstition.

My optimism (sometimes I lose it!) is that this mad religious stuff just cannot last. People like Dawkins, Harris, Myers, Dennett and a growing band of honest intellectuals are publishing more and more in an effort to combat this egregious movement and the more that the fundamentalists take to print, the more they shoot themselves in the foot. The wild-eyed fanaticism will reach its peak. Maybe not before I die and I am heaps older than you. But you are the next generation and you must help.

Neander has the right idea. Start teaching facts, start teaching critical analysis classes. Make a forum wherever you live, gather some speakers/teachers/instructors together and advertise a weekly/monthly forum where the young people of your area can congregate and participate in Socratic style discussion as well. It's probably the most satisfying thing you can do. Kids haven't got enough access to places that promote lively, entertaining and informative discussion.

I promise you it will make you feel better. Get a blackboard, put it outside your house and post contentious and readable quotes on it. When they get wiped off, re-post them. Mine get wiped off and I just put them up again. My grounds are - okay, you didn't like that one, well, cop this one instead. Perseverance always wins out. And your angst starts to diminish so you regain your sense of humour.

As I am sure Neander would agree, if you can see the light of understanding grow in even one person's eyes, you will have made a difference that will swell your heart and keep you going. I am an old teacher and I can attest to this feeling.

Never, ever, ever give up. Your world needs you. Stay positive. And besides you get to develop debating skills for the rest of your life! Yum!

Nazgul - I can't recall where I have seen it, but there are other studies that include Canada and Australia and we are pretty well up there. We are secular societies but we have to watch it. People like to fill in gaps and feel comfortable that all the answers are in. For some reason, the human brain seems to need this.

The poor old US is the most religious 1st world country in the world and, of course, the religions have lots of untaxed dosh at their disposal to spread the vicious hate material about reasoned thought and science. And they are dangerous. The old grass roots methodology has to reinvent itself. We all have to find practical ways of combatting this tosh.

Cheers
Vxx

Thu, 08 Mar 2007 20:32:00 UTC | #22617

Shuggy's Avatar Comment 7 by Shuggy

Is the earth hemispherical, then? Where's Australia, South Africa, Brazil, Venezuela, NEW ZEALAND?

(Up there with Iceland, I'll assume.)

Thu, 08 Mar 2007 21:48:00 UTC | #22628

Veronique's Avatar Comment 8 by Veronique

Hahaha. Sorry Shuggy. Are you from NZ?

They seem to do surveys that don't include all countries. I know that there are lots of these surveys. I can't attest to their methodologies though.

Some results seem a bit odd to me, but I don't know, as I say.

Cheers
V

Thu, 08 Mar 2007 22:41:00 UTC | #22631

Lord Asriel's Avatar Comment 9 by Lord Asriel

That's what I thought of Switzerland too :-/

I am quite shocked. It looks as if we are below 60%

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 01:45:00 UTC | #22645

Tom Day's Avatar Comment 10 by Tom Day

The visual (some would say intellectual) similarities between George W. Bush and some of our ape-cousins should surely give many American creationsists pause for reflection:-)

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 02:04:00 UTC | #22646

AbstractMonkey's Avatar Comment 11 by AbstractMonkey

If any of you have seen Ken Miller on Intelligent Design (youtube), at the end there is a little information about the evolution of ID - they are now making an attack on the principle of critical thinking in science. Evolution is now a peripheral target - they want to replace the underlying principle of science itself.

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 02:26:00 UTC | #22650

Tom Day's Avatar Comment 12 by Tom Day

Abstract monkey wrote:

"Evolution is now a peripheral target - they want to replace the underlying principle of science itself."

It never ceases to amaze me how some religious people compartmentalise their lives to such an extent. So they will drive to work in their SUVs, make calls on their mobile, use their laptops, fly somewhere on holiday, make use of conventional medicine when they are ill, etc, etc - while at the same time attacking the very thing that has enabled them to enjoy those benefits in the first place; namely science. I think public education about science should place some emphasis on reminding people about its many practical applications. Religious miracles I have never seen - scientific and technological ones I encounter many times daily.

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 03:30:00 UTC | #22659

Myryama's Avatar Comment 13 by Myryama

Maybe we could encourage disillusioned scientists in the US to come and work in the UK. We always need teachers, researchers and smart rational people. How about it?

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 03:52:00 UTC | #22662

epeeist's Avatar Comment 14 by epeeist

Comment #24875 by AbstractMonkey

Bingo!

Evolution was the obvious first step. Get rid of this, push your Young Earth agenda and you can get rid of cosmology, geology, archaelogy and large chunks of physics. The next target will be any piece of history that is not in line with theology.

The way to achieve all this is to get into power, a theocratic state gives a whole new slant on Big Brother is watching you.

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 04:10:00 UTC | #22665

cheshirecat's Avatar Comment 15 by cheshirecat

The problem is the idea is too politicised. Its the nature of American christianity to be ridgid, conservative and to equate the ideas with the left. This makes them automatically hated by some republicans.

I mean the pope believes in evolution, consequently catholics should have no problem with evolution - if they did not reject the statement through misunderstanding or ignorance. For instance Poland is a very Catholic country its just no one ever bothers to stand up and preach against evolution because there is no idealogical objection to it in Catholicism. Besides most Catholics are not great bible readers or biblical literalists like some in the protestant faith. Therefore Poland does better than the US despite (one presumes) having an inferior education system.

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 04:46:00 UTC | #22670

Tintern's Avatar Comment 16 by Tintern

In the book "The Quotable Atheist" by Jack Huberman, I found this nice and simple George Washington quote: "The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy." If only.
A genuine enquiry; is this or similar written on any monuments, public buildings etc ?

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 08:49:00 UTC | #22690

Roedy's Avatar Comment 17 by Roedy

I wonder why the USA would be so backward, second only to Turkey. Its population came from Europe. The USA for many years was considered the acme of scientific achievement. It is not as though it is a nation of lonely goatherders. Its people have excellent access to mass media and other communications.

These backward fundamentalist Christian religions have been gaining a foothold rather than dying out as in the rest of the world.

What makes the USA different? One thing is the wealth gap which is much larger than in other countries. Perhaps it has been the decline in the quality of education caused by many factors.

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 09:12:00 UTC | #22692

karlJ's Avatar Comment 18 by karlJ

Dear Rodey, I have a theory:
The ones that went to America was the gullible adventurous part of the populations that could be tricked to buy the ticket to the new promised land with honey and etc.... Now they represent a certain subset of humankind, carrying a selected set of gullible and adventuring proned geenes that makes them want to convince themselves and the rest of the world of their excellence.

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:43:00 UTC | #22703

amazeen's Avatar Comment 19 by amazeen

Ahh.. it┬┤s good to live in Iceland ;)
All of you scientists who are troubled by the climate (political and religious) should come to the university of Iceland.

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:46:00 UTC | #22704

karlJ's Avatar Comment 20 by karlJ

I still stick to my theory!

Though... I'm not a scientist, not even a dentist. Much better, I drive the garbage truck, which you all could not be without!

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:52:00 UTC | #22705

vavictus's Avatar Comment 21 by vavictus

This is piss poor for the US, but not at all surprising. Why is it not accepted? Because it's not stressed enough in school. People are not forced to think its implications through. In short, people don't understand evolution. It's not particularly surprising that they're not sure what to think about it when they don't Know anything about it to begin with. The solution is education. Perhaps people like Dawkins could try to get more specials on channels like National Geographic, where evolution is explicitly addressed in length. Also, whoever writes science textbooks, should relate everything in biology to it over and over and over again throughout the book (and not just biology, but all topics). After all, evolution is related to or easily related to any topic relevant to life, so it could readily be incorporated in an effective fashion.

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 11:56:00 UTC | #22714

L.Minnik's Avatar Comment 22 by L.Minnik

re 15. Comment #24895 by cheshirecat

Why do you assume Poland has an inferior education system to the US? Please consult comparative studies. Certainly it depends on the field of study, where foreign language education may be better in the US whereas mathematics, physics, chemistry and astronomy better in Poland. Many distinguished scientists in the US are from Poland. Poland invests in education, but unfortunately not in research.

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 12:28:00 UTC | #22720

Zaphod's Avatar Comment 23 by Zaphod

Scary.

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:49:00 UTC | #22773

fenrisulven's Avatar Comment 24 by fenrisulven

The nordic counties are in the lead. This is intresting! Could it be that Christianity never got a real final hold of the area to spread its virus.
The first missionaries where quickly dispensed of, and it wasn't untill around 800 that the first of them survived long enough to try to convert anyone. And I feel(as a swede) that there is still today a real deep suspicion about religion in general. Especially many youngsters view religionsist as on the border of madness.

Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:56:00 UTC | #22904

foxfire's Avatar Comment 25 by foxfire

This situation is deplorable, unacceptable and I will oppose it when/where I encounter it in my country. Thank you neander for making an effort to correct this situation. DarwinLoves, don't give up hope. The nut-wing religious right has irritated quite a few people and hopefully they won't be coming back in droves after November 2008.

I really wish they could defy the laws of physics and rapture on out of here. It would be nice if they took their nutty "kin" who call god by a different name with them. They could then duke it out in "heaven" (winners get all the virgins) and leave the rest of us alone to pursue the mysteries of the universe in peace.

Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:02:00 UTC | #23255

haukur11's Avatar Comment 26 by haukur11

Makes me proud to be Icelandic.
Even though I had to sign out of the national church to prevent my tax money from going to it.

Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:29:00 UTC | #75269

TadeAndo's Avatar Comment 27 by TadeAndo

I find it kinda difficult to believe that there are almost 20% of people who don't believe in evolution in Slovenia. I live here all my life and I don't know not even one person that wouldn't. And I can name almost half the students visiting the largest catholic school in Slovenia (Škofijska gimnazija). I seriously doubt you could find as much as a percent of people that do not believe in evolution. No offense meant to dawkins or anybody, but I think there is something wrong with this study.

Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:32:06 UTC | #531659

erasmix's Avatar Comment 28 by erasmix

I'm curious, why isn't China in this study. I'm also surprised Spain is so high and the Netherlands is not as high as I expected. Italy is also much much higher than I expected. I'd like to see some countries in latin america included.

Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:20:22 UTC | #602551

countvonsbrwlf's Avatar Comment 29 by countvonsbrwlf

Totally agree I just got my B.S. in Physical Geography with a minor in Anthropology these numbers really get me sad. I think we need to some how educated the public on the difference between the word theory and the definition of a Scientific theory and we should also not allow places like the Creationist Museum to use the word museum in their title maybe funland or amusement park would be appropriate.

Thu, 01 Aug 2013 05:49:58 UTC | #951400