← Bill Good Interviews Richard Dawkins

Bill Good Interviews Richard Dawkins - Comments

Elli's Avatar Comment 1 by Elli

Nice. 52 minutes of Dawk.
The lengthy periods of ads are annoying though.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:13:00 UTC | #164426

barry21's Avatar Comment 2 by barry21

You will never hear me accuse richarddawkins.net of a lack of content! Thanks again.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:31:00 UTC | #164437

Ragnar0kk's Avatar Comment 3 by Ragnar0kk

I love this site! keep the audio/video coming it helps me get through the day!

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:36:00 UTC | #164443

ThomasB's Avatar Comment 4 by ThomasB

Nice to have RD back in Canada.

Particularly enjoyable was Richard's no-nonsense smack-down of the caller who so lamely presented the "evolution is just another faith" canard.

Alas, the advertisements were difficult to endure.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:43:00 UTC | #164450

nlewkowitz's Avatar Comment 5 by nlewkowitz

Those were some of the most ignorant creobots ever...what miserable questions they produced. It was like lobbing a softball for Prof. Dawkins...Well done professor.

Adverts are quite annoying.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:01:00 UTC | #164467

PJG's Avatar Comment 7 by PJG

Wouldn't it be nice if, one day, someone came up with a really sensible, original question?

If I hear one more person bring up Hitler, Stalin, "atheism is another faith", "How can anyone be moral without God?" or the f**king bacterial flagellum, I think I will scream.

Richard - you deserve a medal. At the start of your next interview, could you quickly deal with the above questions, just to get them out of the way? If nothing else, it would cut down the number of callers!

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:16:00 UTC | #164479

Jolly Bloger's Avatar Comment 6 by Jolly Bloger

Anyone else having trouble accessing the file?

edit: never mind, it worked.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:16:00 UTC | #164478

Bollwerk's Avatar Comment 9 by Bollwerk

I could not bear the slew of ads in that. I swear it was like 20 minutes of Richard and 30 minutes of ads. (felt like that, at least)

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:33:00 UTC | #164499

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 8 by Cartomancer

The previous comments are right, these kinds of shows have a tendency to be very samey and repetitive. I guess that we here at RD.net occasionally lose sight of the fact that most people are not so well acquainted with the old recycled bad arguments - certainly most people who listen to popular radio broadcasts such as this one.

For my own personal gratification I would prefer different questions and discussions on air, but I accept that it is important to raise the consciousness of as many people as possible, so I am happy to forego more esoteric ruminations on public media if the result is a greater diffusion of the basics.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:33:00 UTC | #164498

Zzyx1170's Avatar Comment 10 by Zzyx1170

I placed an mp3 of this without advertisements on RapidShare at:

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:37:00 UTC | #164503

Geodesic17's Avatar Comment 11 by Geodesic17

I will probably skip listening to this.

Having worked in IT before, I know how annoying repetitive stupid questions are.

Someone needs to setup a call center to answer people's questions.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:38:00 UTC | #164504

SamKiddoGordon's Avatar Comment 12 by SamKiddoGordon

I listened to Richard live on monday, the news and ads are part of the regular programming for the morning time slot. I know its repetative, and I enjoyed the smackdowns, but its new and different audiences. I didnt realise that Richard was going to be in Vancouver, or I might have driven the 20 hours to go down from northern ALberta. Its a wasteland up here, no reasonable free thinkers in sight, but all are welcome to come visit.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:39:00 UTC | #164506

Jolly Bloger's Avatar Comment 13 by Jolly Bloger

Geodesic:

Is there not already a hotline somewhere? CFI perhaps? If not, there should be, and if there is, it should be more widely known. Good idea.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:40:00 UTC | #164507

Geodesic17's Avatar Comment 14 by Geodesic17

Thanks, Jolly Bloger.

If there are suicide hotlines, there should be hotlines for helping creationists. =)

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:42:00 UTC | #164510

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 15 by Cartomancer

"Hello, and welcome to the Atheists Answer Your Stupid Questions Hotline. Your call is important to us. If you want to spout nonsense about irreducible complexity, press 1. If you have a bee in your bonnet about Hitler and Stalin, press 2. If you think atheism is just another religion, press 3. If you need to bring up that tired old objective source of morality guff, press 4. If you just want to make crude ad hominems at Richard Dawkins until you feel better, press 5. Your call will be charged at normal network rates and may be monitored for staff training purposes. All proceeds go to the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science..."

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:47:00 UTC | #164515

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 16 by Steve Zara

Comment #173220 by PJG

I know what you mean. However, Carto is right, most people don't know that these points are unoriginal. If we want to act as educators (and I do), we have to generally have patience.

I don't have patience with those who try and put forward these kind of questions with arrogance (as we have seen with seeker_of_truth on other threads).

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:47:00 UTC | #164516

Geodesic17's Avatar Comment 17 by Geodesic17

I agree with Steve on this. The questions that arise are usually from lack of knowledge or being given wrong information. There just needs to be a cheat sheet somewhere with how to address these issues. Especially since they become heated. Knowing when someone is willing to learn is important.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:51:00 UTC | #164518

kurzweilfreak's Avatar Comment 18 by kurzweilfreak

www.talkorigins.org = Evolution answers call-center. :)

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:54:00 UTC | #164520

phatbat's Avatar Comment 19 by phatbat

Thats good Carto, LOL.

I wish on these radio call-ins they would go back to the caller after the smack down, so we could hear them floundering. They'd probably come back with something like 'yeah...whatever....more like you are.....beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep'

next caller you're on....

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:58:00 UTC | #164521

Geodesic17's Avatar Comment 20 by Geodesic17

Kurzweilfreak,

The call-center would just have to persuade them to read the that site in its entirety.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:00:00 UTC | #164525

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 21 by Steve Zara

Comment #173264 by kurzweilfreak

It is a superb site.

But, I see a problem. If we get into debates where creationists point us at answersingenesis.org, and we point them at talkorigins.org, we could give a false impression that the situation is balanced.

Perhaps we need to point them at a site that shows a thousand further sites with evidence for evolution.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:01:00 UTC | #164527

Geodesic17's Avatar Comment 22 by Geodesic17

There needs to be a site for noobs.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:03:00 UTC | #164529

Corylus's Avatar Comment 23 by Corylus

ZZyx1170

I placed an mp3 of this without advertisements on RapidShare
Thank you, appreciate it.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:04:00 UTC | #164530

Friend Giskard's Avatar Comment 24 by Friend Giskard

So do I.

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:15:00 UTC | #164537

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 25 by Matt H.

If you'll forgive the expression, Richard had the patience of a saint in this interview. There must have been about three Intelligent Design proponents in the Q&A, every question they asked has already been address countless times. As for the raving lunatic screaming about Hitler/socialism/North Korea.... ignorance is bliss for some people, isn't it? You don't need to know anything about evolution to know that everything he said was total rubbish. You only need to study history! Hitler was a Catholic, Stalin set up a Cult of Personality around himself and actually hated Darwinism, and the rulers of North Korea actually see themselves as gods, which is anything BUT atheistic!

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:16:00 UTC | #164539

Ragnar0kk's Avatar Comment 26 by Ragnar0kk

Dawkins was on his game in this interview, well worth the listen (even though he does have to confront some worn out and incredibly unoriginal social memes)

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:23:00 UTC | #164548

sane1's Avatar Comment 27 by sane1

Couldn't get the link to work - Is it just me?

And if you go to the radio station site and find their audio vault, they say they had technical difficulties for the period of time that the RD interview took place...

EDIT: THANKS _ Comment #173245 by Zzyx1170 on April 30, 2008 at 2:37 pm

I placed an mp3 of this without advertisements on RapidShare at:

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:28:00 UTC | #164554

Gregg Townsend's Avatar Comment 28 by Gregg Townsend

Comment #173258 by Cartomancer

Thank you!!!

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:29:00 UTC | #164557

DaysOfClark's Avatar Comment 29 by DaysOfClark

Cheers for the link Zzyx1170!

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:33:00 UTC | #164561

nag73's Avatar Comment 30 by nag73

I can't get the link to work either

Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:36:00 UTC | #164562