← Richard Dawkins lecture at ASU's Tempe Campus

Richard Dawkins lecture at ASU's Tempe Campus - Comments

maton100's Avatar Comment 1 by maton100

Smooth. Thanks again.

Thu, 22 May 2008 05:59:00 UTC | #174134

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 2 by robotaholic

Richard Dawkins' largest audience ever.

Thu, 22 May 2008 06:09:00 UTC | #174144

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 3 by Lisa Bauer

Yay! Thank you.

Incidentally, from the Beyond website: Lawrence Krauss to join ASU

Oh, really? Maybe I can see him sometime!

Thu, 22 May 2008 06:14:00 UTC | #174146

gaving's Avatar Comment 4 by gaving

2. Comment #183482 by robotaholic on May 22, 2008 at 7:09 am
Richard Dawkins' largest audience ever.

Really?

I'm always surprised at the sheer inability of many venues to provide a decent video of significant quality (and a suitable codec) for the amount of people who would otherwise want to watch the talk online.

A particular example of this is that I was at the Edinburgh Science Festival sometime in April and despite being noticeably filmed, there is still no offer of a link to material or anything that happened on the night.

I've noticed this with quite a few lectures given and I find it awfully strange.

Information wants to be free damnit! :)

Thu, 22 May 2008 06:34:00 UTC | #174167

Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy's Avatar Comment 5 by Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy

I'd love to get RD back to Florida to educate the mass of creationist activists here.

Thu, 22 May 2008 07:41:00 UTC | #174202

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 6 by Tezcatlipoca

Whoop Whoop! Dawkins is at Michigan State March 2nd 2009!

Thu, 22 May 2008 07:46:00 UTC | #174206

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 7 by rod-the-farmer

Great stuff, with some new points. Too bad we can't SEE the presentation.

Thu, 22 May 2008 07:51:00 UTC | #174207

Jefferson'sWall's Avatar Comment 8 by Jefferson'sWall

Great talk...listening to it now. It seems the delivery has sharpened...I like it.

Thu, 22 May 2008 07:58:00 UTC | #174212

dpsych's Avatar Comment 9 by dpsych

When they have finished with Florida Handygeek send him to Louisiana.

Thu, 22 May 2008 08:02:00 UTC | #174213

Muetze's Avatar Comment 10 by Muetze

This reminded me that I have _got_ to read Unweaving the Rainbow. It seems like just the thing by Richard that I would enjoy most.

Thu, 22 May 2008 08:57:00 UTC | #174243

Quine's Avatar Comment 11 by Quine

Very well done, indeed. I especially liked the stress on the point that just because all things are not perfectly known, it doesn't make fairy tales any more reasonable.

Thu, 22 May 2008 10:39:00 UTC | #174285

KalofXeno's Avatar Comment 12 by KalofXeno

It was an awesome night.

Thu, 22 May 2008 10:41:00 UTC | #174287

RevolvingImages's Avatar Comment 13 by RevolvingImages

Whew! I'm so glad this was posted because I really wanted to go to this lecture, but couldn't make it. Nice to see it online.

Thu, 22 May 2008 11:02:00 UTC | #174302

MedMonkey's Avatar Comment 14 by MedMonkey

I'm with HandyGeek ... he would have a lifetime of reeducation to perform just here in Florida!

Thu, 22 May 2008 11:28:00 UTC | #174317

TheSwede's Avatar Comment 15 by TheSwede

Nice... well done RD, and, as said above, smooth.

To bad though, that there's no video.

Making a video should be a demand from RD's side in my oppinion. This given that one can add, on top of the numbers in the audience watching live, another 30,000 viewers on youtube.

Thu, 22 May 2008 11:52:00 UTC | #174323

m-man's Avatar Comment 16 by m-man

has anyone found video of this talk?

Thu, 22 May 2008 11:53:00 UTC | #174324

LUCASWB's Avatar Comment 17 by LUCASWB

I would love to see RD in FL. especially here in the bible belt of Pensacola Fl.

Thu, 22 May 2008 12:09:00 UTC | #174334

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 18 by Border Collie

Geez, don't send RD to Louisiana. They'd just eat him.

Thu, 22 May 2008 12:18:00 UTC | #174340

AoClay's Avatar Comment 19 by AoClay

I'm in Florida as well, and I wish the same.

If he came to Florida, I'd walk if I had to.

Thu, 22 May 2008 13:14:00 UTC | #174357

justinesaracen's Avatar Comment 20 by justinesaracen

What great fun it was listening to this while I puttered quietly around the house. Like the old days, when people listened to the radio. RD has a very smooth style, a style of speaking that is soft-spoken and at the same time utterly authoritative and with that lovely upper class British accent.

What a relief, after reading through the horrible daily news, media propaganda and gov't lies, to pop over to RD's site and read/listen to something so lucid, logical, reasonable and solid.

Thu, 22 May 2008 13:25:00 UTC | #174362

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 21 by SilentMike

I love my mp3s.

I here what you guys are saying about wanting a video and I like videos too. But I like my mp3s. They're a lot of fun to listen to when doing something else.

EDIT: OK. There are slides. Now I need the video!

Thu, 22 May 2008 14:01:00 UTC | #174373

RamziD's Avatar Comment 22 by RamziD

Layla Nasreddin

Are you from the Phoenix/Tempe area? I was unable to make it to Dawkins' lecture at ASU, but I heard it was very well received.

Thu, 22 May 2008 14:18:00 UTC | #174375

DNAproduct's Avatar Comment 23 by DNAproduct

I was kicking myself for not going to James Randi's TAM in Las Vegas a few years ago when Dawkins was there. I thought it might be my best chance to see him speak...maybe ever. So I was ecstatic when I found out he was not only coming to Tempe, but tickets were free!

I had no idea how many people would be fans/supporters and how many would be there to see the guy their church friends have told them is evil incarnate.

My answer came when the host announced that it was the largest crowd Dawkins' largest audience ever. The reaction was overwhelmingly positive. Nearly everyone I could see was clapping enthusiastically.

I enjoyed the talk very much even though I had read/heard everything many times before in TGD, on the website, or through other skeptical/atheist links.

The only negative about the size of the crowd was the line to meet Richard after the talk. I had hoped to get either TGD or "Ancestor's Tale" signed, and would have waited for hours without complaint. But the line...I couldn't even SEE him, and it seemed clearly impossible for him to move through all these people.

Even if he was willing to stay, I was sure it would take many hours for Dawkins to get through all those people. I wanted very much to shake the man's hand, but didn't want to keep him up until 6am just for that.

It was very encouraging to find out there were so many Dawkins readers/fans here in Tempe/Phoenix. I had no idea.

Thu, 22 May 2008 14:43:00 UTC | #174381

ImagineAZ's Avatar Comment 24 by ImagineAZ

I was at this lecture. Standing room only, with many people gathered outside in hopes of scoring a ticket. And there was a really long line to get an autograph and to shake his hand.

You can just feel in the air that people have been waiting so long to stand up and say "I don't believe any of this nonsense either!"

The lecture really loses a lot without video. Richard presented many funny slides and such, and I'd have to say that the person providing closed captioning gave everybody many big laughs as well :) Anyone who was there will understand.

Thu, 22 May 2008 15:01:00 UTC | #174383

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 25 by Chrysippus_Maximus

Man... people made some dumb-ass comments (and asked some silly questions)... the dumbest one was the atheist who started rambling about how the square-triangle is a better analogy than the seminal Russellian Teapot.

Uh, no it isn't. He missed the point of that analogy entirely.

Thu, 22 May 2008 15:12:00 UTC | #174387

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 26 by SilentMike

Maybe Richard Dawkins could make his different slides and slide-shows available in file form. We can do a lot of mischief with those slides.

Thu, 22 May 2008 15:27:00 UTC | #174390

Kiwi's Avatar Comment 27 by Kiwi

Can someone provide or describe the slides ? Particularly the ones at 26.50 about complexity, and the ulimate 747 at 29.00 and teaching the controversy at 29.22 ?

Thu, 22 May 2008 15:46:00 UTC | #174396

Maverick X's Avatar Comment 28 by Maverick X

Are you guys sure there is a video for this?

Nonetheless this is also on YouTube:

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Thu, 22 May 2008 16:06:00 UTC | #174400

omnithought's Avatar Comment 29 by omnithought

I was at this, and it was great! There's was a screen for the deaf, where someone was typing everything that was said, and they made a lot of funny typos, which will explain the laughter in otherwise non-humorous contexts.

It was really great to see him in person, and to be in a crowd which had a vast majority of non-theists. It was very telling when the things said against religion received a loud positive response and the scant religious "points" were met with a few small cheers and a lot of chuckling.

Great experience overall, even though most of the material wasn't new.

Thu, 22 May 2008 16:21:00 UTC | #174406

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 30 by Lisa Bauer

RamziD wrote:

Tucson, actually, meaning that it was kind of a long haul. I saw the announcement and thought, "Wow, he's coming to THIS dump! I'd better go; the opportunity to see somebody like that speak might not ever come again, even if I disagree with a lot of what he says. And wouldn't it be hugely ironic to go there veiled, to let people know that there's at least one open-minded Muslim girl who's not afraid to listen to other points of view?" (Yes, I actually thought that; Muslim girls with their hijabs often see themselves as walking examples of the faith and feel the need to make a positive impression of themselves and Islam on others.)

So I went, wearing my hijab (black; if you were there you might have seen me). I still can't believe I had the nerve to do that, despite my thoughts! I didn't "really" think a bunch of hardcore atheist types would lynch me or curse me out or anything like that--they left me alone, but I felt I stood out like a sore thumb, to put it mildly!

You may know the rest of the story...the reason I went was because I was losing my faith but didn't want to admit it to myself, once I did it went very, very quickly, and now I haven't worn hijab in what feels like aeons, even if it was only a couple of months ago.

Thu, 22 May 2008 17:02:00 UTC | #174415