← Leukaemia case raises hopes of possible AIDS cure

Leukaemia case raises hopes of possible AIDS cure - Comments

John Done's Avatar Comment 1 by John Done

I can't believe somebody actually acknowledged that GT is a good way to deal with this virus, but then again this is Germany and not America. Still, this development is something to keep an eye on.

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 11:06:00 UTC | #270753

Pyrion's Avatar Comment 2 by Pyrion

There are a lot of people here in germany who are very critical to gene therapy. The reason is not religious though, it's more from the political green side. Those people are extremely critical to anything artificial that has the word "gene" inside. And this oppinion is shared not only by political green people here... i think it might even be the majority of the people.

All this said, i think if there is a genetic cure for severe diseases, most people in germany would agree to use it.

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:15:00 UTC | #270787

ev-love's Avatar Comment 3 by ev-love

"But AIDS itself is not the real crisis in our society;
rather, it is a symptom of the real crisis,
which is that men and women have turned their backs on God.”
(Nicky Gumbel, the Alpha Course.)

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:49:00 UTC | #270816

Darwin's badger's Avatar Comment 4 by Darwin's badger

I don't need a cure for AIDS, I have $180k in cash.

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:04:00 UTC | #270826

cam9976's Avatar Comment 5 by cam9976

If I had HIV and was lucky enough to locate a person with resistant genes who was a match to me I'd most certainly pay them for a marrow transplant.

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:42:00 UTC | #270853

pikeamus's Avatar Comment 6 by pikeamus

It pleases me to think of how unbelieveably happy this man (who seems now to be cured) must be.

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:18:00 UTC | #270988

Bernstein's Avatar Comment 7 by Bernstein

I think the only way to combat diseases (in general) is for mankind to find some kind of genetic silver bullet that makes us immune to like 99% of them. The approach of curing one disease at a time is too costly and lengthy to be of any long-term significance, even though it may be the best option we have right now. We just can't keep up with virus and bacterial mutation.

Then again, a human population that hardly succumbs to disease will open up a whole other can of worms.

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:29:00 UTC | #270998

Evilcor's Avatar Comment 8 by Evilcor

"Hey, we were just noodling around, trying to treat his leukemia, and. . . whoops! We accidentally cured AIDS too. No sweat, really."

Take THAT god's judgment on our sins! A wee bit of medical science, and who's the tough supreme being now, huh?

Oh, you gonna cry now little avenger? Whatsa matter, no more floods up your sleeve?

It would appear the vengeful god of Pat Robertson is kind of a pussy if his vengeance can be that casually bitch-slapped.

Note: I'm in a bit of a mood tonight; I just passed my last round of tests and by this time next week I might be a firefighter.

Booyah.

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:26:00 UTC | #271059

Evilcor's Avatar Comment 9 by Evilcor

P.S.
Can wae praevail upon thae AEnglish to stop putting that damn "a" in front of aevaery damn "e"?

It's raeally irritating.

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:30:00 UTC | #271060

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 10 by Laurie Fraser

Evilcor - sorry, but it's called the "English" language. Just thought I'd remind you ;) Besides, the diphthong is a damn fine ideae.

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 22:11:00 UTC | #271065

root2squared's Avatar Comment 11 by root2squared

Laurie

Speaking of English, does Australia use colour or color? I would guess colour.

I'm in the US, but we studied the British English in India. So half the time I say neighbor and half the time neighbour.

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 22:16:00 UTC | #271067

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 12 by Laurie Fraser

Always colour, neighbour. :)

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 22:19:00 UTC | #271069

Evilcor's Avatar Comment 13 by Evilcor

As they say Laurie:
England and the U.S. are two nations seperated by a few thousand miles of ocean. ;)

Here's the offer I make:
Drop the pretentious spelling and we'll start pronouncing the "h" in herbs. I'll even sweeten the deal and start practicing my "aluminium".

Also - someday we will have to address the vexed issue of which is worse sober: baseball or cricket?

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:27:00 UTC | #271073

root2squared's Avatar Comment 14 by root2squared

And one of them drives on the wrong side of the road.

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:35:00 UTC | #271074

Greyman's Avatar Comment 15 by Greyman

Australia uses the proper spelling of colour, nieghbour, et cetera.

Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:37:00 UTC | #271075

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 16 by Laurie Fraser

Evilcor, sorry, mate, but I shall never resile. You Americans are just going to have to accept our natural superiority in language and sport. However, I will give you jazz, aerospace and cheese in an aerosol can. Can't be fairer than that.

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 00:25:00 UTC | #271079

Goldy's Avatar Comment 17 by Goldy

Laurie, I'll let the Americans off just for the V8 engine.

Mind you, talkling of British and Indians and firemen and suchlike, I think I can combine all three :-) Had a vindaloo for lunch today and by 'eck I think the ring need putting out! Fastest curry in ages - barely 8 hours in me!

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 00:49:00 UTC | #271083

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 18 by Laurie Fraser

Hehehehe! Gotta watch those vindaloos, mate. I went to a hangi last night for the local scouts association. Brilliant! Evilcor's about to become a firey - hope he doesn't have to struggle in those terrible Californian fires. Jebus, I feel for them.

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 00:54:00 UTC | #271084

Goldy's Avatar Comment 19 by Goldy

T'was his mention of becoming a fireman, followed by R2S saying he was taught British English in India - all following a wee trip to the dunny.
Shame, was a nice curry. I love the NZ way of having someone ask me if I'd like my vindaloo mild, medium or hot :-) Duuuh! And I think I can make a pretty mean one myself (Carmelia Panjabi's recipe book) though all the pounding with a mortar and pestle make the arms ache a touch. And tandoori chicken on the BBQ...
Right, time for one more trip to the throne and then bed. Wife starting her maternity leave, so it's just me and the wee lass. Got to find out if it is legal to have a child seat in a 2 seater sports car...

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 01:02:00 UTC | #271085

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 20 by Laurie Fraser

All the best, mate.

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 01:04:00 UTC | #271086

Goldy's Avatar Comment 21 by Goldy

One last thing
LTSA used to be the government dept for all transport issues. Apparently they have changed their title (again).
I tried looking up at what would have been their website pre name change.
Well, made me chuckle.
As it is, I think it is legal. Guess the boys (and lasses) in blue will teach me the error of my ways if it isn't.

G'nite all!

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 01:09:00 UTC | #271089

D'Arcy's Avatar Comment 22 by D'Arcy

We'll need a fireman handy for the next time Goldy makes a vindaloo.

You ready Evilcor?

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 01:25:00 UTC | #271093

Szkeptik's Avatar Comment 23 by Szkeptik

Not to get everyone down here, but we knew about bone marrow transplants having a small chance of fighting off HIV since the 1970-s. It's just too expensive and dangerous to use. The only possibility is that our knowledge in genetics has advanced enough since than to use gene therapy.

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 02:48:00 UTC | #271100

Evilcor's Avatar Comment 24 by Evilcor

No danger of ME hitting those crazy fires! I haven't even been invited to the academy yet!
Although my (potential future) Batt. Chief is on his way down there (I'm in Sacramento).

What was yesterday like for me?

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 08:19:00 UTC | #271155

mike.d's Avatar Comment 25 by mike.d

i love this site!

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:50:00 UTC | #271218

eh-theist's Avatar Comment 26 by eh-theist

ev-love: Nicky is right - you don't want to turn your back on such a vicious being.

Though, I tried turning around to see if god was behind me and made myself dizzy.

Where's the master of hide-and-seek?

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:38:00 UTC | #271935

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 27 by Agrajag

Comment 15 by Greyman

Australia uses the proper spelling of colour, nieghbour, et cetera.

+1, mate!

("i before e except after c, and in words like neighbo(u)r and weigh")

Steve