← Richard Dawkins on Minnesota Public Radio

Richard Dawkins on Minnesota Public Radio - Comments

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 1 by SilentMike

"The Greates Show on Earth"

Nice :)

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:24:00 UTC | #332943

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 2 by SaganTheCat

Shall reserve myself a copy!

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:25:00 UTC | #332944

mdowe's Avatar Comment 3 by mdowe

I am so sick of all the embedded flash shit all over the web. One of the things I love about RDN is that Josh uses straight links to downloadable files. Sadly MPR does not. The live blog comments are entertaining anyway.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:37:00 UTC | #332948

Negasta's Avatar Comment 4 by Negasta

I am so sick of all the embedded flash shit all over the web. One of the things I love about RDN is that Josh use straight links to downloadable files. Sadly MPR does not. The live blog comments are entertaining anyway.

I feel the same. Internet access in South Africa is painfully slow and the only way to properly listen to podcasts etc. is to fully download them to your PC first.

From what I could glean from the Liveblog, the host was a typicxal silly Xian nutter and Prof. Dawkins was his usual calm and composed self.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:46:00 UTC | #332949

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 5 by TheLordHumungus

Richard says in the interview:

Rather than just automatically say, "Oh I am episcopalian or I am Lutheran or I am catholic." Think, "No, wait a minute am I? What do I actually think about this?"
I love how simple this thought is, and it is all that it takes to start unraveling childhood indoctrination for some reasonable thinkers out there. Keep up the good work Richard! Glad to know you are among us here in the states.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:09:00 UTC | #332951

gusg's Avatar Comment 6 by gusg

@mdowe

I second that emotion. I prefer being able to download mp3 versions of the audio and listening to them later.

anyone know if this is available anywhere as a download? I tried the links presented in the article header but they're all embedded flash.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:10:00 UTC | #332952

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 8 by TheLordHumungus

Richard gave a great response to that first guy, the lutheran fellow that called in. So, what the hell with the host completely cutting him off and not getting to hear his response to Richard? Fail.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:32:00 UTC | #332957

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 9 by SilentMike

8. Comment #348991 by TheLordHumungus

Yeah. I thought that was strange too.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:35:00 UTC | #332958

mrjohnno's Avatar Comment 10 by mrjohnno

8. Comment #348991 by TheLordHumungus

More time to hear RD talk?

Johnno

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:39:00 UTC | #332960

kluv0008's Avatar Comment 11 by kluv0008

I'm usually a fan of Kerri Miller (she's an excellent interviewer and very well-read). But she seemed genuinely defensive and unable to understand Richard's point for the first 15 minutes of the interview. This seems to have lead to some redundancy in her questioning which kind of annoyed me.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:44:00 UTC | #332962

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 13 by TheLordHumungus

10. Comment #348994 by mrjohnno

More time to hear RD talk?
We didn't even get to hear that, though. In place of what would have been an interesting response by the apologist, we got to hear a fellow non-believer talk about how great Richard is, which I agree with, but would rather have heard the response from the lutheran guy.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:47:00 UTC | #332964

dochmbi's Avatar Comment 12 by dochmbi

I think those who call themselves Christians without actually believing in the majority of the woo just want to say that they have moral principles, that they hold to moral system.

If they learned about humanism, I bet many of them would call themselves humanists instead.

Also, I think it would be better to campaign for secular humanism rather than against religion. The two aren't even incompatible with each other, especially when talking about religious moderates.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:47:00 UTC | #332963

Gregg Townsend's Avatar Comment 14 by Gregg Townsend

kluv0008,

You seem familiar with the interviewer--who I thought had a marvelous speaking voice. Is she frequently that adversarial? I've heard other interviews with Richard on National Public Radio and they usually treat him more even handedly. Is she a devout believer do you think? She seemed unduly offended by Richard's arguments.

--edit-- Mind you, I thought it was very entertaining, nonetheless.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:51:00 UTC | #332965

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 15 by Dhamma

How can anyone accuse Richard of being rude and strident? I think it's very rude to claim he's rude and strident, when the religious are often far more strident themselves.

Richard is very humble and carefully considers his answers. This was a great interview.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:56:00 UTC | #332966

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 16 by TheLordHumungus

After Richard explained himself as the level 6.5 atheist. Kerri Miller says:

You're covering all bases, you realize that?
And Pascal's wager is a better alternative way of covering all of our bases?

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:59:00 UTC | #332967

Isherwood's Avatar Comment 17 by Isherwood

11. Comment #348996 by kluv0008 on March 4, 2009 at 10:44 am

I thought so too, at first, then I decided she was just doing a good job of playing creatard's advocate for the benefit of the interview.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:00:00 UTC | #332968

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 18 by NewEnglandBob

17. Comment #349003 by Isherwood:

I agree, Kerri Miller was playing interviewer, she showed that when she talked about Steven Pinker's words about morality and neuroscience.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:06:00 UTC | #332969

Fuzzy Duck's Avatar Comment 19 by Fuzzy Duck

I REALLY wish I was back home in Minneapolis tonight... damn it...

-Kevin Schreck

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:17:00 UTC | #332972

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 20 by TheLordHumungus

Great job by Richard here. Handled the defensiveness of the host perfectly, and if this didn't get at least a few moderate type people to start really thinking about what they really believe in I don't know what will.

I wish that we could get a national interview of Richard here in the states that is as in depth as that one was in his core arguments. No more of these 1 minute long let's-hear-what-the-silly-atheist-has-to-say interviews on CNN or FOX.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:19:00 UTC | #332973

mrjohnno's Avatar Comment 21 by mrjohnno

13. Comment #348998 by TheLordHumungus

I guess I would rather have the chance of him saying something which I had not heard before. Thinking about what you say and where he is, I also guess I would have to agree with what you say.

[edit] here in the states

Fair enough

Johnno

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:19:00 UTC | #332974

Fujikoma's Avatar Comment 22 by Fujikoma

The one thing I like about this site is that most of the stuff is in a downloadable file format. I can't listen to this stuff at work and having no internet at home (library is too slow) requires me to download during breaks. It's nice to sit down at home and listen to it without interruption.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:19:00 UTC | #332975

ina.j's Avatar Comment 23 by ina.j

I am in absolute defense of the interviewer. She was great. Biased? Yes. But inquisitive and not patronising. Thumbs up.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:21:00 UTC | #332976

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 24 by TheLordHumungus

23. Comment #349011 by ina.j

I agree, even though she was biased and defensive, the final product of the interview ended up representing him, as well as us, in an accurate way.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:26:00 UTC | #332977

phasmagigas's Avatar Comment 25 by phasmagigas

Riachard says at 44mins 'because i dont have the right kind of brain' (comparing himself to physicists)

thats quite hilarious.

seriously though the variation of capability of brains is quite astounding, when i see some mathematician playing with equations I simply wonder what happens inside their heads, whatever it is it doesnt happen in mine.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:27:00 UTC | #332978

LeeLeeOne's Avatar Comment 26 by LeeLeeOne

One of the many interviews by Prof. Dawkins that I have enjoyed. Many thanks to Josh, Prof. Dawkins, and MPR. I support RD.net when and where I can. I also support Pulic Radio, whether it be National Public Radio or International public radio. These are the type of conversations that are vital to education!

Once again, thank you RD.net, and thank you to all of its contributors, whether monetary or commentary.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:28:00 UTC | #332980

mrjohnno's Avatar Comment 27 by mrjohnno

It was OK. Her questions regarding death shows no thought in that the desire to not die indicates a desire to live.

Johnno

[edit] not die

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:34:00 UTC | #332982

debaser71's Avatar Comment 28 by debaser71

awwww did the interviewer have her feelings hurt? she annoyed me

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:05:00 UTC | #332984

LeeLeeOne's Avatar Comment 29 by LeeLeeOne

The NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE (near death experience aka NDR) is scientifically provable to be the symbiotic respone to stimuli, i.e., a brain is dying and may resort to self-survival mode. Thanks Johnno for pointing out that one desire does not automatically include another. What I find most stimulating is that Prof. Dawkins does not stop, there is always a question to be answered.

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:12:00 UTC | #332985

fotomatt's Avatar Comment 30 by fotomatt

Jesus has shone his sweet light upon us and miraculously caused an MP3 version of Richard's interview to appear on the MPR site. 8~P

=====
Dawkins seeks more converts to atheism

Richard Dawkins says atheists should be just as forthright in their views as those who believe God is real. The prominent atheist talks about why he wants to convert more to his way of thinking. (Broadcast 03/04/2009)
=====