← Science Weekly: Darwin and Dawkins

Science Weekly: Darwin and Dawkins - Comments

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 1 by Sally Luxmoore

Well, we've all heard most of this before, not that it's not interesting.
I was surprised at the accounts of the film 'Creation' (wish they'd chosen a better title) - in that there was so much emotion and so little science. Not sure I want to bother, in that case.
The best piece of news, however, is that the Atheist Christmas shows will be put on again, with Richard appearing again as a guest performer. Missed them last year - must go this time. Good joke about the relentless creeping commercialism of atheist Christmasses...

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:36:00 UTC | #399869

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 2 by Sally Luxmoore

The video is better. Enjoyed seeing Richard read from TGSOE. I was glad that he had the chance to defend his position on the charge of militancy etc.

"There's also a video at guardian.co.uk/books".

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:16:00 UTC | #399906

PERSON's Avatar Comment 3 by PERSON

I think Richard is a bit hard on journos in the video. It's not just that they know who he is, it's that they can be confident he'll speak articulately and clearly and be familiar with what's required of him in terms of preparation and when interviewed; not necessarily true, perhaps even unlikely, of a professional biologist chosen at random. OTOH, there are probably a lot of other people who'd be capable of doing it. As more academic institutions provide podcasts (RSS & MP3) it might be possible for bloggers to highlight potential candidates and for reputations to be built enough that journalists pick up on it.

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 19:33:00 UTC | #399957

njwong's Avatar Comment 4 by njwong

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 23:05:00 UTC | #400007

Quine's Avatar Comment 5 by Quine

<!-- -->Thanks, njwong, for the link to the video. One thing I picked up at the end was Richard's comments about the sensitivity of using the word "ignorant." I think he is correct about this, but I also think he has suggested his own solution to the problem. Instead of saying, "you are ignorant of Evolution" he can say, "just as I am ignorant of American football, you are ignorant of Evolution."

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 23:43:00 UTC | #400016

Jiten's Avatar Comment 6 by Jiten

This to me implies that I'd like to carry on being ignorant of American Football. (Which I would!) Because I don't see Richard bothering to become informed about American Football.

Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:07:00 UTC | #400179

Quine's Avatar Comment 7 by Quine

Yes, Jiten, the folks that he would be addressing, generally, do want to stay ignorant about Evolution.

Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:42:00 UTC | #400219

MarbleMad's Avatar Comment 8 by MarbleMad

Re: creationist petting zoo.
I've got a sure fire way of setting them straight.
Simply argue E coli proves evolution.
Parents aren't going to ignore that one right now :)

Mon, 28 Sep 2009 01:34:00 UTC | #401450