← Richard Dawkins defends theory of evolution

Richard Dawkins defends theory of evolution - Comments

A's Avatar Comment 1 by A

No need.

Tue, 20 Oct 2009 23:18:00 UTC | #407176

Mango's Avatar Comment 2 by Mango

Minnesota is such a great state. Hard to say anything bad about it, except some of their right-wing politicians.

Tue, 20 Oct 2009 23:50:00 UTC | #407182

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 3 by mordacious1

I'm about 16 minutes in and at least they're talking about the book and evolution (not atheism, which is the norm). Ooops...16:30 and there is someone complaining about Richard calling YECers wingnuts. But I suppose that's on topic (evolution deniers).

Yes A, it's like saying "He's defending gravity".

[edit] The guy that calls in at about 38:00 has been smoking something. I do not know if it's good stuff or bad stuff, but he's a flake.

Tue, 20 Oct 2009 23:51:00 UTC | #407183

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 4 by Enlightenme..

"The guy that calls in at about 38:00 h.."

There's always one of those types who ramble on & on isn't there and I think Dawkins showed a remarkable amount of patience in dealing with his 'admirable open-mindedness' I found myself doing the eyeroll and throat-slitting gesture way before Kari Miller managed to reach the button and[snip]

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 01:05:00 UTC | #407190

EmJaySena's Avatar Comment 5 by EmJaySena

...and I think Dawkins showed a remarkable amount of patience in dealing with his 'admirable open-mindedness'

I believe that's what makes Professor Dawkins so endearing to myself and others. In regards to the caller's rambling, I always think it's cute when people who have a very limited understanding of the subject matter use terms that they do not grasp. I may not understand the intricacies of molecular biology and such, but at least I don't pretend that I do, as this poor fellow does.

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 01:22:00 UTC | #407193

NakedCelt's Avatar Comment 6 by NakedCelt

About 22 minutes in, the interviewer says Richard is "hostile" towards [people of] faith. Is she maybe referring to the idea that moderate faith holds the door open for more extreme forms?

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 04:00:00 UTC | #407206

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 7 by Jos Gibbons

That guy who complained about wingnuts tried to compare people not accepting the age of the Earth to Einstein not accepting string theory. Why do these people always try to be like Einstein? It's as if they're keen to make that comparison at any cost to plausibility. I mean, come on. The reason Einstein didn't accept string theory is because he died before it was developed! (Unless you count the scattering matrix as a string theory idea rather than just mainstream quantum mechanics, it didn't start until 1958, but he died in 1955. At a stretch you might said compactified dimensions supposed in 1926 count too, but he did actually take that seriously - that was part of his route to combining electromagnetism with gravity.) Plus string theory isn't solid science even today, let alone 50 years ago. At least if he'd talked about Einstein being oblivious to the weak and strong forces he could have sounded like he wasn't an ignorant buffoon (and even then, Einstein thought that they would fall out of the EM-gravity unification anyway).

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:02:00 UTC | #407215

proveit's Avatar Comment 8 by proveit

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 07:32:00 UTC | #407226

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 9 by Jos Gibbons

Comment #425477 by proveit

Thank you! (How did you download the audio, BTW? My computing skills leave room for improvement.)

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:07:00 UTC | #407233

Dave H's Avatar Comment 10 by Dave H

Around 17:00 and 23:00 - Some atheists are contemptuous?
I was raised a Catholic, and looking back at how the nuns and priests tried to use weapons of guilt, fear, and other forms of mental abuse to ruin an otherwise happy and carefree childhood, you're fucking right I'm contemptuous.

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:49:00 UTC | #407257

SplendidMonkey's Avatar Comment 11 by SplendidMonkey

btw - it's Kerri Miller, not Kari.

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:49:00 UTC | #407345

proveit's Avatar Comment 12 by proveit

Comment #425485 by Jos Gibbons

The 'Video DownloadHelper' Firefox plug-in can usually pluck media out of a page but this time I had to subscribe to the Minnesota radio podcast to get it.

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 22:44:00 UTC | #407429

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 13 by HappyPrimate

Ms. Miller predictably voiced during this interview the accusation that RD, CH et al are not being nice enough to the delusional. I can tell it is going to take a lot more time than I have on this earth to get past this idea that religion and faith are things one must be respectful of during ordinary conversation. Frustrating and irritating. RD has always exhibited patience and tact with these people. So much so that I am truly awed by it.

I thought RD handled the Karen Armstong questions exceptionally well. Sad Ms. Miller was so insistant that RD talk more about TGD instead of his new book but I think she was going for the religion v atheist conflict which always gets the audience calling in.

Thu, 22 Oct 2009 00:51:00 UTC | #407450

PERSON's Avatar Comment 14 by PERSON

"I may not understand the intricacies of molecular biology and such, but at least I don't pretend that I do, as this poor fellow does. "
I don't think he's pretending. I think has the idea he can infer things from hallucinated delusions he's had, e.g. oneness with the universe, eternal existence (unification of past and future), etc.

For example, have a look at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=NeuroSoup 's video about the collective unconscious.

Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:04:00 UTC | #407535

godlezz's Avatar Comment 15 by godlezz

LOVE how the Dr. agreed with the "ammunition" that he provides to everyone who doesnt no enough. I know my ammunition reserves are stack in my library! In SCIENCE we trust...

P.S. she gets annoying jus like the kid in 36mins doesnt "know" if the world is 6,000 yrs old or not... what the hell do you mean you dont know what to believe, ITS CALLED EVIDENCE KID...

Mon, 26 Oct 2009 03:25:00 UTC | #408484