← Happy Birthday, Evolution!

Happy Birthday, Evolution! - Comments

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 1 by crookedshoes

Happy Birthday!!!!

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:20:00 UTC | #416202

DrawingYou's Avatar Comment 2 by DrawingYou

I named my cat after my hero Darwin. I agree with Richard that the theory of evolution shows the beauty of our connectedness to all life. How any one can not find that beautiful I don't understand. It just feels right.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:38:00 UTC | #416206

Infidel25's Avatar Comment 3 by Infidel25

Happy Birthday Evolution!!!!!!!!!!

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:33:00 UTC | #416222

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 4 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Great interview!

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:57:00 UTC | #416228

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 5 by Sally Luxmoore

Good interview, good interviewer - nice to hear someone who takes care to be accurate and measured.
Some quite good questions, though I'm still not sure what angle the woman who wanted book recommendations on animal ethics wanted to take. I thought she meant development of altruism in animals, but she really wasn't clear.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:28:00 UTC | #416234

Fuzzy Duck's Avatar Comment 6 by Fuzzy Duck

I acknowledged the 150th anniversary of the publication of "On the Origin of Species" today by accident, by wearing my "Tree of Life"/"I think" t-shirt. My biology professor didn't fail to mention the occasion. That was cool of him.

Kevin

(An aside: regarding the advertisement for MoMA at the beginning of the audio: from what I've seen of the Tim Burton retrospective is superb, and I'm looking forward to the Bauhaus exhibit, too. Highly recommended.)

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:11:00 UTC | #416249

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 7 by NewEnglandBob

Of course I am smarter than everyone else. Better looking and a better driver too. Not taller though.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:14:00 UTC | #416250

Bribase's Avatar Comment 8 by Bribase

Happy 150th evolution!

It seems like only yesterday you were just a mere hypothesis swimming around in the heads of a few intelligent men. I remember those days when you and creationism used to play together in the modern discourse. What happened to creationism anyway? He always seemed a rather backward child if you ask me.

But look at you now! All grown up! You've developed into a fully fledged scientific theory! Predictive, proven and applied. You have informed us of our profound connection to all of the other living things on the earth, you have expanded our minds with your wonderfully intuitive yet highly complex insights into our world. If only the luminfierous Aether could see you now!

Darwin would be very proud

B

Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:08:00 UTC | #416293

Quine's Avatar Comment 9 by Quine

<!-- -->Happy Birthday ToE! (Well, OoS publication, anyway.) Unfortunately, Time Mag pooped on it, as noted by this article over at Discovery Mag, in which they called the Time piece "the worst science article of the week."

P.S. For a contrast, here is a rather nice piece on this over at Greg Laden's blog.

Wed, 25 Nov 2009 01:07:00 UTC | #416313

quarecuss's Avatar Comment 10 by quarecuss

It has been pointed out to me by a Chinese source that every day is Evolution's birthday.
So on this, the 25th of November, here in Toronto,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EVOLUTION ... AGAIN!

Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:26:00 UTC | #416387

fossil-fish's Avatar Comment 11 by fossil-fish

Excellent interview. Nice the way the interviewer kept it on track and allowed the topics that were actually important to be covered. Well done WNYC.

Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:45:00 UTC | #416401

Shiva's Avatar Comment 12 by Shiva

Go evolution!!!

(I made a little tribute myself on my blog (sorry, only in Norwegian :p).)

Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:41:00 UTC | #416566

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 13 by Mitch Kahle

Recently visited Darwin's House in Downe and also the new Darwin Centre at the British Museum of Natural History in London. Highly recommended.

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:01:00 UTC | #416950

Marjory's Avatar Comment 14 by Marjory

The 150th aniversary was a perfect excuse for me to finally read 'on the origin of species'. I started on november 24th. It was good to read the book that started it all, after reading countless more recent books on the subject, watching many speeches and debates online. I recommend the illustrated edition, because it's like reading the first edition, where darwin got it right, before the vague criticism of religion was edited out. It also contains many photos and paintings and also texts from his biography and 'voyage of the beagle' etc.

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 19:26:00 UTC | #417427