← Science, atheism and ironed trousers

Science, atheism and ironed trousers - Comments

Dark Matter's Avatar Comment 1 by Dark Matter

I haven't heard it yet as I still working (or supposed to be) but I am intrigued as to where he gets the 93% of scientist are atheist stats from.

Admittedly it's good news if true but why is it so low?

Are there really 7% of scientists like Francis Collins who waste their time indulging in the same vacuous self-deception and cognitive dissonance?

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:08:00 UTC | #419962

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 2 by Dhamma

I meet near retarded people every day, and they've made me realize we will never convince the large majority god doesn't exist. It doesn't matter if it's reasonable or not, people WANT to believe. They like the thought of god, therefore he exists.

They got really angry with me when I challenged their beliefs. I eventually realized I didn't even want to deprive them from their beliefs as it would genuinely hurt them.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:12:00 UTC | #419965

Dark Matter's Avatar Comment 3 by Dark Matter

Dhamma

"I eventually realized I didn't even want to deprive them from their beliefs as it would genuinely hurt them.

Ahh...diddums.

Are you someone who is capable of depriving people of their "beliefs"?

That's quite an ability if true. In my experience, the god botherers are incapable of changing their minds and are unable to exercise any element of doubt - in otherwords, stupid is as stupid says and does.

I, myself, try to advance the cause of reason less by trying to convince the masses but, rather, pointing and exposing the flaws, warped logic, poor philosophy, bad reasoning in those that are already convinced in the certainty of their own belief systems.

If they change their mind then good for them - if not then at least they know that their particular set of ideas will never ever go unchallenged.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:29:00 UTC | #419970

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 4 by Dhamma

Bloody hell, my post got deleted.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:42:00 UTC | #419976

Dark Matter's Avatar Comment 5 by Dark Matter

Dhamma

"Anyway, I do possess the ability to convert people. I just need to touch them. Quite impressive actually."

I'd say. ;o)

"Bloody hell, my post got deleted"

I don't think they have. If it's the one you posted on this thread at 18.12 - I can still read it.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:41:00 UTC | #419991

Quine's Avatar Comment 6 by Quine

This is terrific to hear. I have listened to it twice, now, and expect to do so several more times. I especially like his comparison of loyalty to a religion to loyalty to the sports team you happen to have in your home town. Whatever causes that is, clearly, a part of human nature that is hijacked by religion to help keep itself propagating (and make it harder to kill).

After about the tenth Xmas jingle I have to hear played at my relatives' houses this year, I think I will queue this up as what they have to sit through from my side.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:06:00 UTC | #420028

xsjadolateralus's Avatar Comment 7 by xsjadolateralus

Nothing new here, unless you've missed the past few years of discussion.

The main thing bouncing around my head while listening to this was, perhaps we could get pretty far explaining, that religion is awesome, it really is neat-o, like a harry potter film, but atheism, and science is true, and the truth is the most awesome thing of all. It's a good thing some of what theism tries to "reveal" agrees with that.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:14:00 UTC | #420053

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 8 by SaintStephen

I'm not sure I care so much about the pedantic distinction between science and atheism. They are the same thing to me.

Yes, there is a difference. I'm just saying "I don't care." So lay off. (Sandra).

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:36:00 UTC | #420061

prolibertas's Avatar Comment 9 by prolibertas

I thought the figure of 93% related to the National Academy of Sciences - the elite scientists - not scientists in general.

Thu, 03 Dec 2009 23:11:00 UTC | #420070

bungoton's Avatar Comment 10 by bungoton

Contrary to what Adam says; there is no dogmer in science. As he states immediately after claiming the existence of scientific dogma, if there is such a thing it is eliminated by contrary evidence, thus rendering it rather undogmatic.

Fri, 04 Dec 2009 03:02:00 UTC | #420118

friendlypig's Avatar Comment 11 by friendlypig

Adam was born in a lift in Ipswich?

And I thought that Ipswich was boring!

It must have been the most interesting event of the 20th Century.

Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:42:00 UTC | #420985