← Losing my faith

Losing my faith - Comments

andersemil's Avatar Comment 1 by andersemil

I was honestly amazed at the depth of insight in this piece. I think it's rather brilliant. I always liked Duran Duran's tunes and lyrics but never knew Simon was a great thinker as well.

Thu, 17 Dec 2009 17:47:00 UTC | #424049

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 2 by Chris Roberts

Agreed.

Been a big Duran fan since the mid eighties.

So pleased to hear Simon has broken free of the religious handcuffs.

I will listen to the interview with interest.

Thu, 17 Dec 2009 17:58:00 UTC | #424050

Amac's Avatar Comment 3 by Amac

First post.

andersemil, I agree. A truly eloquent contribution to Arianes' book. Reminds me, i must order now to get in time for some quality reading during the holidays.

Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:17:00 UTC | #424085

Born Again Atheist's Avatar Comment 4 by Born Again Atheist

Well said and well spoken. Interesting the credibility a calm voice brings. Not many calm voices in the pulpit.

Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:18:00 UTC | #424086

Logicel's Avatar Comment 5 by Logicel

An excellent reading: calm, gentle, but firm. It's needed to have people talk about the realization that we will most likely no longer exist. He also focused on the importance of growing up with a very nice analogy about humanity needing a parent in the form of religion and that we could be ready to become adult. He points out though we may lose the comforting image of a sky daddy kissing our wounds and making it all better, we gain the joys of liberation and freedom to use our minds well without the strictures of a primitive stance on reality.

There is some religiot who is moaning about the lack of spirituality in our lives at the original site. How about the mental/emotional balancing act expressed in Le Bon's reading, is that not more effective and important than some vague sense of a higher power?

Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:31:00 UTC | #424095

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 6 by SaintStephen

Great stuff.

Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:55:00 UTC | #424104

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 7 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Thu, 17 Dec 2009 20:51:00 UTC | #424125

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 8 by the great teapot

I was a shepherd.
Eat my shorts Le Bon.
Loved all Simons songs, Gold, Life line,True, through the barricades, all brilliant

Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:05:00 UTC | #424147

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 9 by Stafford Gordon

Well done that man.

Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:30:00 UTC | #424155

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 10 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Comment #442716 by the great teapot

Given that I was at Heaven on Monday 11 April 1988 for Paul Oakenfold's Spectrum@Heaven (widely regarded as the world's first acid-house rave) I am ashamed to admit that I somehow posess the kind of New Romantic knowledge that allows me to advise you that none of the songs you mention are Duran Duran titles.

They are all, in fact, by Spandau Ballet.

*hangs head*

Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:42:00 UTC | #424159

clunkclickeverytrip's Avatar Comment 11 by clunkclickeverytrip

Gold etc. - yeah I was there. Spandau Ballet, not Duran x2. We'll forgive you this time, given atheists are full of forgiveness. SLB is an atheist - whoop de doo.

Thu, 17 Dec 2009 23:51:00 UTC | #424174

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 12 by Ignorant Amos

the great teapot got ya there boys...you can remove the tongue from your cheek now teapot...PMSL again.

Edit.

Fri, 18 Dec 2009 01:18:00 UTC | #424190

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 13 by Dhamma

What's really disturbing is not that he's an atheist, but that there are Duran Duran fans among RD.netters.

Duran Duran is what christians put on when they're having rock-parties.

Fri, 18 Dec 2009 02:43:00 UTC | #424195

Sonic's Avatar Comment 14 by Sonic

Simon Le Bon’s reading was wonderful, and I see audible.com and audible.co.uk have the entire book read unabridged by the authors for download. Here is the publisher’s summary:

Here is a fantastic listen that works brilliantly alongside the massively popular The Atheist’s Guide to Christmas. This Guide was edited by Ariane Sherine, who started the Atheist Bus Campaign in response to an evangelical Christian bus advertisement that gave the URL of a website "telling non-Christians they would spend 'all eternity in torment in hell'."

With the backing of Richard Dawkins, officially supporting the UK's first atheist advertising initiative, Sherine managed to compile a wonderful concoction of the world's most entertaining writers, scientists, comedians, and philosophers to read, perform, and narrate pieces that they had all written for the print book, which was published on October 1st 2009. This audio version is magnificent! It's funny, uplifting, and is read by all the book's contributors.

This strikes me as unique and effective, to hear the variety of personalities present their own essays. And I see http://www.audible.co.uk shows it on their home page!

Oh, and this is sweet -- Audible filed it under Home > Religion & Spirituality > Non-fiction along with The God Delusion. But I see they filed Bibles under Home > Religion & Spirituality > Bibles. Well, there you have it -- Non-fiction and Bibles, they’re two different categories.

Fri, 18 Dec 2009 06:07:00 UTC | #424216

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 15 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Comment #442759 by Ignorant Amos

"Would love to have been there for that Oakenfold set, Ivan The Not So Bad, the envy is hanging out of me!"

I guess if I told you about Fabio & Grooverider's Rage@Heaven (with drop-ins by Carl Cox) that would just make things worse for you wouldn't it?

And if I added that by the early 90's I was a regular the mythical Megatripolis@Heaven, that might just about finish you off......

Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:04:00 UTC | #424259

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 16 by Peacebeuponme

Ivan The Not So Bad

I went there once around then, but was more of a regular at Return to The Source, at The Fridge.

Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:13:00 UTC | #424263

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 17 by Peacebeuponme

Ha ha, check this out.

Apparently all the kid's lines are ad-libbed. I think she'd run rings around David Robertson:

Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:30:00 UTC | #424268

flying goose's Avatar Comment 18 by flying goose

Don't say a prayer for me now
Save it 'til the morning after
No, don't say a prayer for me now
Save it 'til the morning after.

Sorry I could not resist.

Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:42:00 UTC | #424273

ghost of numf-el's Avatar Comment 19 by ghost of numf-el

Never did like Simon Le Bon, nor his music. Fucking posers, those New Romantics.

Yasmin, however ........... hubba hubba hubba !!!

Great little article though.

Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:49:00 UTC | #424288

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 20 by SaintStephen

17. Comment #442840 by Peacebeuponme on December 18, 2009 at 11:30 am

Brilliant clip. Thanks for sharing it with a Yank who probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise!

Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:18:00 UTC | #424339

Stella's Avatar Comment 21 by Stella

That was excellent.

Sat, 19 Dec 2009 03:40:00 UTC | #424506

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 22 by Alternative Carpark

@18

Nice one!

Mon, 21 Dec 2009 00:58:00 UTC | #424905

simonchase's Avatar Comment 23 by simonchase

A bit shrill don't you think?

Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:14:00 UTC | #425009