← Update 9-March - Kony details via Boing Boing -Stuff to hear and watch

Update 9-March - Kony details via Boing Boing -Stuff to hear and watch - Comments

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 1 by mirandaceleste

Um, it's important to read up on both the currently-ubiquitous Kony meme and the "Invisible Children" charity before promoting them. I realize that those who are spreading this meme are most likely well-intentioned in their slacktivism, but most aren't practicing any critical thinking or skepticism towards it, and that's a problem. Some useful info here:

blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/03/07/

thisisafrica.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/acholi-street-stop-kony2012-invisible-childrens-campaign-of-infamy

wrongingrights.com/2009/03/worst-idea-ever.html

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 21:14:18 UTC | #925464

/Mike's Avatar Comment 2 by /Mike

Thanks Miranda. When I saw the LRA connection I was reminded of Rush Limbaugh's defense of them.

Good links for Lawrence Krauss and a recent podcast. I noticed that the YouTube from AAI 2009 has 1.2 million views now :-)

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 21:40:22 UTC | #925471

Metamag's Avatar Comment 3 by Metamag

Anyone who watched that horrible Kony 2012(biggest viral video in history) needs to know how stupid and foolish it is.

Also, the co-founder of it is a Jesus-freak.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 22:03:23 UTC | #925475

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 4 by Starcrash

Comment 3 by Metamag :

Also, the co-founder of it is a Jesus-freak.

That's ad hominem. Why would that matter? It was an interesting video, and made good points. And yes, Invisible Children is questionable. Their support of the LRA is definitely problematic. But attacking the religion of the co-founder is not relevant to the conversation.

Joseph Kony is an evil man, and I don't think anyone in the world supports his mission. Even Obama, unlike any president before him, dedicated a small militia to hunt him down despite the US gaining nothing from his death (except a feeling of accomplishment and moral superiority). I hope they succeed.

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 22:22:03 UTC | #925479

kungfuhobbit's Avatar Comment 5 by kungfuhobbit

This has been a case study in why we need to teach 'critical thinking' much better in our education system. We need bullet point rules of thumb - at the moment people have the attitude 'yer I have studied subject xyz, so Ive developed my critical thinking skills...' when they clearly aint!

Seeing even politics grads that I know become swept up in this was particularly disheartening.

our education system desperately needs to teach people how to think well/smartly! as sam harris says, humanity has a bigger project...to become sane

For those witnessing the viral inception of the 'kony 2012' cult and its immediate debunking on the interweb recently, I offer this (low-brow) gem:

Joseph Kony vs Rick Santorum. One is a Christian fundamentalist aspiring to cripple his nation under a backwards theocracy centred around Ten Commandments law... the other is Joseph Kony! 'dum'dum!

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 22:46:16 UTC | #925482

brian thomson's Avatar Comment 6 by brian thomson

There are some serious questions about the origins of that Kony video. Even the normally uncritical Guardian is asking questions. There isn't much disagreement about the evilness of the Lord's Resistance Army, but that doesn't automatically translate to "send in the US Marines". There are some key words to listen out for, such as "advisors" (meaning the CIA).

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 23:00:01 UTC | #925488

Metamag's Avatar Comment 7 by Metamag

Btw, I haven't thought possible that a video can get almost 40 million views in 3 days. That's viral on a whole new scale.

When the hell will high-production sensible atheistic video gonna achieve that...

Thu, 08 Mar 2012 23:10:00 UTC | #925492

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 8 by Alternative Carpark

I was wondering what the hell my mad sister was on about on Facebook. Had NO idea that "KONY" referred to our old friend Joseph, I thought it was some new boy band, or something.

I'll have to watch this, if only to set my sister straight on what is really happening here.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 00:29:21 UTC | #925498

Metamag's Avatar Comment 9 by Metamag

Comment 4 by Starcrash :

Comment 3 by Metamag :

Also, the co-founder of it is a Jesus-freak.

That's ad hominem. Why would that matter?

You do realize that American Jesus-freaks made "kill the gays" bill in Uganda possible(it's even the same freaking country), also life imprisonment and jail-time for anyone not turning gays in? You know...like in Nazi Germany?

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 01:35:34 UTC | #925507

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 10 by xmaseveeve

It's a scam. Donate to real charities - this group is pocketing the money. Sickos.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 01:45:55 UTC | #925511

Metamag's Avatar Comment 11 by Metamag

Another thing worth knowing about this is that Ugandan "army" has the same track record of raping, pillaging and killing. And Jesus-freak is asking money for them....

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 01:52:26 UTC | #925512

RobertJames's Avatar Comment 12 by RobertJames

I'm not sure about global web campaigns designed to "get" someone, isn't it a bit like a fatwa?

By arrest I assume they mean get the US Navy Seals to put a cap in his arse, which would be fun but could work out quite expensive given the ten years it took to get Bin Laden so I have a cheaper way. Start a rumour that Joseph Kony burns Korans for breakfast... problem solved.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 02:09:05 UTC | #925514

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 13 by Starcrash

Comment 9 by Metamag :

Comment 4 by Starcrash :

Comment 3 by Metamag :

Also, the co-founder of it is a Jesus-freak.

That's ad hominem. Why would that matter?

Please don't play the Nazi card, too. That's just another bit of ad hominem.

American Jesus-freaks don't kill gays, and even if those 2 events correlate you certainly haven't even started to draw an argument of causation. Not all Jesus-freaks are gay-haters by necessity, but even if it were true that still wouldn't equate to gay-killers.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 03:27:56 UTC | #925532

alabasterocean's Avatar Comment 14 by alabasterocean

The KONY 2012 message is a great example of your, and others, ability to think critically -fast- and research a tiny bit before you re-post and recommend. An foremost, your ability to throw of and rationalize what goes straight thru your emotional center.

Good luck.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 09:22:32 UTC | #925575

Metamag's Avatar Comment 15 by Metamag

Just imagine if video about this issue would get 40 million views in 3 days.

Everything is so backwards.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 17:09:06 UTC | #925654

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 16 by drumdaddy

Innocent blood has spilled over centuries with religion as a justification. When will the world recognize and defeat the core of this evil?

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 17:37:37 UTC | #925663

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 17 by Red Dog

Its just amazing how much the US is addicted to war. And as this example illustrates its not just people on the right but there are plenty on the left who spend a lot of energy finding new ways for the US to intervene across the world. Previously it was Darfur and now KONY. I'm sure this guy is evil and hope that the UN or local African groups bring him to justice but the US needs to be scaling back it military and stop trying to be Team America: World Police.

Fri, 09 Mar 2012 22:35:23 UTC | #925732

helena!'s Avatar Comment 18 by helena!

I don't think this should be promoted here either. The money is going towards a religious organization and they have done enough harm. Hello child witches? Hello killing gays? I won't even watch this video propaganda. I will have nothing to do with anything jesus related.

And I saw one of the guys explain their funding - 1/3 for the video, 1/3 for media and 1/3 for the movement. Doesn't seem right. I get the sceptic red flag from these guys.

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 02:25:59 UTC | #925771

fuzzylogic's Avatar Comment 19 by fuzzylogic

Comment 10 by xmaseveeve :

There are some valid criticisms of Invisible Children but this is NOT one of them. They spend all of their money on the stated goals of the organization. 1/3 on direct help for Ugandans, and the rest for lobbying, making movies and travelling around showing the movies for free, with the goal of spreading awareness. You can say that goal is not a good use of resources, but clearly most people don't know anything about this so awareness is at least a reasonable goal to fight for.

Comment 18 by helena! :

"1/3 for the movement" no, all of it is "the movement".

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 03:02:15 UTC | #925775

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 20 by xmaseveeve

Comment 19 fuzzylogic, Indeed.

''They spend all of their money on the stated goals of the organization.''

Come on. This is not true.

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 03:15:27 UTC | #925778

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 21 by DocWebster

Comment 15 by Metamag :

Just imagine if video about this issue would get 40 million views in 3 days.

Everything is so backwards.

It's so weird that you should mention this particular group. Just yesterday I see a trailer, with the name "Child Evangelism Fellowship" written on it in cutesy lettering, parked across the street from the school I live next to. It was hooked to a pickup and just parked there. It's not the first time I've seen it parked there actually, I've seen kids running across the street to go over to it on previous occasions. My daughters went to that school years ago so I am unsure of my standing in so far as inquiring into just what the hell that thing is doing parked there and who is parking it there and who pays for it to be parked there.

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 04:42:48 UTC | #925790

zengardener's Avatar Comment 22 by zengardener

Strange.

I watched the video yesterday.

My impulse was to give more support to the ICC and INTERPOL. What is the use in having someone on a most wanted list, if there isn't a dedicated and concerted effort to actually hunt them down?

How to support the ICC and INTERPOL? Political pressure.

We need civilized nations to stand together, share information, and when one of the villains show up, arrest them. If the local governments are willing and able to facilitate, great. If they are not, then they don't really have much to say.

I know that this may all sound like the Team America, cowboy shit that you are all so sick of, but there is no reason why humanity should tolerate people who commit such crimes, no matter where the political boundaries are drawn.

Today, after reading about how misleading the video was, I read the criticisms and I read up on Kony. The funny thing is, I managed to glean accurate information from the video.

Kony's forces are in the wilder parts of the bush (not in Uganda). Uganda is recovering. The survivors are growing up and trying to heal their old wounds. The 100 soldiers are advisory and working with local governments. They have only been in place since Nov 2011. There is no imminent threat to recall the advisors.

I saw no need to buy a kit or give money to Invisible Children.

I know that the video is slim on facts and heavy on emotion, but the readers on this sight should understand that emotion motivates people much more readily than facts.

The alleged jesus freak has done what the facts have failed to do for many years.

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 06:35:34 UTC | #925807

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 23 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 12:18:05 UTC | #925862

Metamag's Avatar Comment 24 by Metamag

Comment 22 by zengardener :

He has made a self-aggrandizing video, anything else? Apart from being a part of the same culture that demonizes gays in Africa and believes in demons...I don't know, maybe we should compare the body count of gays and witch children first, just saying. He promotes the biggest danger -faith- of all the dangers.

And did you see him talk to that nutjob religious extremist senator Inhof?

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 13:54:20 UTC | #925876

zengardener's Avatar Comment 25 by zengardener

Metameg

...He has made a self-aggrandizing video, anything else?...

People know who Joseph Kony is and that he hasn't been brought to justice. More people are talking about it and want something to be done.

There is no Batman, quietly handling thugs in the dark of the night, unless you count Delta Force. Even they don't move without orders. It takes people with voice, and influence with powerful governments.

...maybe we should compare the body count of gays and witch children first, just saying.

What are you saying? He promotes stupidity on one hand so he should be ignored when he tries to raise awareness of Joseph Kony?

He is an idea, don't give him any money. If you are still moved by the injustice of the war crimes, move through other channels.

Senator Inhofe is a piece of crap, don't give him any money either.

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 17:09:22 UTC | #925897

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 26 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 17:25:03 UTC | #925903

RobertJames's Avatar Comment 27 by RobertJames

What a beautiful, intelligent girl. She's the one that should be famous from all this.

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:04:33 UTC | #925916

zengardener's Avatar Comment 28 by zengardener

Metameg

I will admit that Invisible Children should not make it's self such a centerpiece, and they should not be trying to promote themselves, or their Christian agenda.

But you must admit that war criminals and human rights violators should be brought to justice, the world should not wait forever for the locals to do it, and it may never happen without international pressure and exposure.

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:05:06 UTC | #925917

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 29 by xmaseveeve

An anti-gay group which believes in witches, cynically grabbing a bandwagon to promote their evangelising ministry, it seems to me. I won't be donating to them.

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:27:08 UTC | #925923

RobertJames's Avatar Comment 30 by RobertJames

Zengardener.

Rosebell just told us that the Ugandan's are doing something about it and painting them as powerless is wrong. No-one is saying war criminals should not be caught but what she is saying is that doing it like this is a little bit insulting because it reinforces the belief that Africans are helpless. The fact that you don't think the Ugandan's are able to solve their own problems is exactly what she fears this web campaign will propagate.

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 21:22:30 UTC | #925971