This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Please post functional issues with the site here so that they can be addressed

Please post functional issues with the site here so that they can be addressed - Comments

Gallstones's Avatar Comment 1 by Gallstones

I am humbled by your abilty to juggle the myriad of comments and issues.

I am using a PC and FireFox--hope he doesn't mind. He's so pleased with the new stuff, I wouldn't want to put a damper on his day. I'll use him gently. :-)

Boy, this place has been fun so far. Don't change that fergawdssakes!

Updated: Fri, 07 May 2010 03:28:34 UTC | #467088

Durro's Avatar Comment 2 by Durro

How do I access the old archived forum ? I can't seem to get into it.

And when you closed the other tech thread about glitches on this new format, it appears that my post was removed or lost. It contained an opinion that the current technical issues with the new discussion threads are the very sort of problems that the old mod team wanted to avoid and were promised they could help avoid before the recent sudden closure of the discussion forums. Have I been censored, or is it another example of technical issues with the new discussion threads that should have been sorted out before the launch ?

Durro

Thu, 06 May 2010 01:28:46 UTC | #467089

OlivierK's Avatar Comment 3 by OlivierK

And here we are already exposing the limitations of the new site:

1) It's a blog. Blogs don't scale, even with tags. Most blogs, when they outgrow the format, add a forum. I'm guessing that's not about to happen here!

2) Tags only work if they're consistently applied. The very same admin who just yesterday added a WEBSITE tag starts a thread about the website, but doesn't use the WEBSITE tag.

*shakes head*

*doesn't hold high hopes for the success of this venture*

What would usually happen at this point, in a competently managed site, would be that the original posting for this thread would be repeatedly edited to contain two lists - known outstanding issues, and recently resolved issues.

/Mike, if the five minute edit time limit does not apply to original posts, or to you, I'd suggest it may make things easier (for you, and everyone else) if people could see the list of known issues before posting here. Nobody should have to read through all the comments to find out whether an issue is already known, especially when even reading this site (what with all the formating/quoting/edit timeout snafus) is so much harder than it needs to be.

Updated: Thu, 06 May 2010 01:44:35 UTC | #467090

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 4 by SilentMike

I also had the whole insane logging in with your Email problem. I used just about every I ever had and could not get into the site. finally in an act of desperation I checked  one last thing and found out that the new login email field is CASE SENSITIVE. So if anyone still can't get in that's probably it.

Oh and another thing as long as everyone is complaining. I use Firefox and it kind of sucks that I can't use the spell-check functionality in the new message text-box. Sometimes less it more. A normal text-box has many advantages.

I've been reading some of the comments here. There are a lot of users here who, like me, use alternative browsers. A lot of users who know their way around a computer and understand the idea behind hypertext tags. There are even some Unix folks here, it seems. This is supposed to be "a clear thinking oasis", A place where the intellectuals and geeks can also feel at home. This isn't the website of some tabloid. It's RD.net. I'm not saying to take away the new functionality. I'm sure a lot of people like it. Maybe I'll learn to like it too. But maybe you can give us the option to have a little old-style text-box to play with if we want to.

avg_ls_inline_popup { position:absolute; z-index:9999; padding: 0px 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; width: 240px; overflow: hidden; word-wrap: break-word; color: black; font-size: 10px; text-align: left; line-height: 13px;} avg_ls_inline_popup { position:absolute; z-index:9999; padding: 0px 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; width: 240px; overflow: hidden; word-wrap: break-word; color: black; font-size: 10px; text-align: left; line-height: 13px;}

Thu, 06 May 2010 01:48:42 UTC | #467092

/Mike's Avatar Comment 5 by /Mike

A couple of things.

"WEBSITE" tag added. I'd forgottten that was added to the list. Thanks for reminding me.

Yes, trying to manage issues via a comment/forum type thread is difficult. We do have an issues database where we are logging and updating. This is a sort of catchall place for people to post issues. It's not a place for a opinions. We want to keep this thread as focused as possible.

I will post something by tomorrow where we can have just a summary of the issues so that people know what's been reported and what if any the resolution is. In the database itself I sometimes combine related issues so the log won't be verbatim what is in comments here or elsewhere. The title of an issue might be something like "Linix/Firefox and Quote do not work". Lots of issues have been corrected but it would probably help if you knew :-)

The old archived forum has not been linked in yet. It will be.

I like html as well and it gives complete control over what you want to do but it introduces security issues. Andrew and I chatted about automatically converting some some things so that a user interface to html isn't necessary. As noted though we've got people on Linux, Mac and PC and whatever browsers are out there so it often hard to get everything to play together nicely.

Updated: Thu, 06 May 2010 02:10:31 UTC | #467097

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 6 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Updated: Fri, 07 May 2010 03:32:49 UTC | #467104

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 7 by HappyPrimate

Well, I hate this new site.  I can't tell when new articles are posted and I keep having to "Sign In" every time I click on anything.  This is terribly frustrating.  I'm rather aged and the scale of the type in this comments block is by far too small for these old eyes.  I certainly won't be enjoying this site much in the future.

Updated: Fri, 07 May 2010 03:28:53 UTC | #467110

OlivierK's Avatar Comment 8 by OlivierK

/Mike
 Yes, trying to manage issues via a comment/forum type thread is difficult.

I'm not suggesting you manage the issues here, just that you do people the politeness of letting them know where you're up to so they don't have to work it out themselves by reading pages and pages of (poorly-formatted) comments, something you say even you are finding difficult. 

Politeness is not difficult, and if consideration for your users is not a big enough motivator (it should be), then you also get a payoff in terms of the focus your after. No point leaving it till tomorrow, unless you expect that there will still be a material number of unresolved issues then, or the list of current issues would break the length limit.

Anyway, while you're collating your list, you can add the fact that your fancy comment entry box breaks Firefox's spellchecker. I use other forums/blogs where formatting is available but the Firefox spellcheck still works (anything phpBB or IPB-based, for example, and even WordPress sites, or, to put it another way "every other site I use").

Of course, that may already be on the list, and I may be cluttering this thread with a known issue.

Updated: Thu, 06 May 2010 03:00:48 UTC | #467112

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 9 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Updated: Fri, 07 May 2010 03:31:26 UTC | #467115

OlivierK's Avatar Comment 10 by OlivierK

Fixed header is so large that "Filter by tag" list of tags does not fit on a netbook screen @ 1024x600, and the tag list doesn't scroll with the page, either, so lower tags are impossible to access.

(FF3.6/XP)

Thu, 06 May 2010 03:09:03 UTC | #467116

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 11 by Tyler Durden

There is an unnecessary horizontal-scrollbar on the bottom of main page/Netbook 1024x768 XP-IE8.

Thu, 06 May 2010 03:18:11 UTC | #467117

mikecornwell's Avatar Comment 12 by mikecornwell

OlivierK
Anyway, while you're collating your list, you can add the fact that your fancy comment entry box breaks Firefox's spellchecker. I use other forums/blogs where formatting is available but the Firefox spellcheck still works (anything phpBB or IPB-based, for example, and even WordPress sites, or, to put it another way "every other site I use").
I'm putting the list together now. What platform? Mac/PC Linux/XP/Vista/Win7 ?

Thu, 06 May 2010 03:28:03 UTC | #467118

mikecornwell's Avatar Comment 13 by mikecornwell

OlivierK & Tyler
Fixed header is so large that "Filter by tag" list of tags does not fit on a netbook screen @ 1024x600, and the tag list doesn't scroll with the page, either, so lower tags are impossible to access.

The whitespace and general layout are being reviewed

btw, this my a test account I'm using with no admin privs and I'm currently using Mac/Safari 

/Mike

Updated: Thu, 06 May 2010 03:31:59 UTC | #467119

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 14 by Tyler Durden

Access keys for accessibility non-functional for IE8

(alt+1 should be shortcut to homepage from anywhere on the site. alt+4 = aearch)

Thu, 06 May 2010 03:38:32 UTC | #467120

OlivierK's Avatar Comment 15 by OlivierK

Styrer
Will check in when the professionals have sorted out this beta-seeming mess. 

I'm not sure professional help is planned. That said, I use several far superior sites that are implemented, customised, and managed by amateurs. Perhaps tapping the userbase to volunteer their skills would have been a better strategy than telling them all to fuck off and stop polluting the oasis.

I'm sure there are plenty here who have, between them, centuries or even millenia of experience in avoiding the sort of schoolboy cockups that have attended this project from the management of change to both the forum and front page, to the expectation management regarding delivery times, and to the implementation itself, the less said about which the better. I personally am good for 22 years of experience in such project management, and I expect there are dozens or hundreds more like me.

All in all, the level of competence on display here does not compare well to the first-year university students who came to the company I worked for for work experience placements. Given that this is a high-profile website dedicated to science and reason, this unprofessionalism is twice as damaging as it would be to a website for, say, poodle owners, because attention to detail and mastery of the complex is not part of what they're all about.

/Mike, I understand you can't really say that it's all been a bit of a disastrous failure, but the fact that you seem to sincerely think it's all settling in nicely, and that the sort of problems you've had right across this project are normal, or inevitable, to me suggests an unfamiliarity with how competent website transitions work.

The most recent that I can recall straight off the top of my head was at www.themudflats.net, a community of similar size to this one. It might take a bit of digging around in the archives to find threads from the change but it could be instructive to see an example of how smoothly it can all go, even on a WordPress based site, and even without any paid staff. Also, it's ironic that what they were upgrading from was pretty similar to what you are upgrading to, but that's for another day. There are two threads you should read - one from April 9, 2010 titled "Change is coming" and another (dated April 10!!!!!) titled "Welcome to the new Mudflats". That's how it's done.

Thu, 06 May 2010 03:39:26 UTC | #467121

OlivierK's Avatar Comment 16 by OlivierK

mikecornwell
OlivierK Anyway, while you're collating your list, you can add the fact that your fancy comment entry box breaks Firefox's spellchecker. I use other forums/blogs where formatting is available but the Firefox spellcheck still works (anything phpBB or IPB-based, for example, and even WordPress sites, or, to put it another way "every other site I use"). I'm putting the list together now. What platform? Mac/PC Linux/XP/Vista/Win7 ?
As noted in a prevous post: XP/Firefox 3.6

Thu, 06 May 2010 03:41:26 UTC | #467122

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 17 by Tyler Durden

/Mike,

1. Login to RD.net
  2. Click Logout
  3. click browser back button (XP/IE8)
  4. Now logged back in.

Thu, 06 May 2010 03:48:34 UTC | #467123

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 18 by Tyler Durden

/Mike,

1. Login to RD.net
  2. Click Logout
  4. Now logged back in.

EDIT: back button allows me to edit this post?

Thu, 06 May 2010 03:50:00 UTC | #467124

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 19 by Tyler Durden

/Mike,

1. Login to RD.net
  2. Click Logout
  4. Now logged back in.

EDIT: back button allows me to edit this post? Comment Successfully Created

Thu, 06 May 2010 03:50:42 UTC | #467125

OlivierK's Avatar Comment 20 by OlivierK

That's interseting, Tyler. (It's actually not, it's sort of sad, but I need a comment less than five minutes old to test something ;-)

EDIT: didn't work - someone post something and I'll try again.

Updated: Thu, 06 May 2010 04:07:14 UTC | #467127

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 21 by Tyler Durden

OlivierK
That's interseting, Tyler. (It's actually not, it's sort of sad, but I need a comment less than five minutes old to test something ;-)

I hear ya Oliver - I feel like I'm back in work :)

(Clicking QUOTE on your comment set my reply also in the same BLOCKQUOTE. So you need to UN-blockquote the original text, then type your reply, then RE-blockquote the original text. Sigh!)

Thu, 06 May 2010 04:10:12 UTC | #467131

OlivierK's Avatar Comment 22 by OlivierK

Yeah, I shouldn't be testing this, because I have a self-imposed rule about not working for clients who are annoying, but hey, I'm feeling generous (and sort of fascinated by how bad this is - it's like watching car crash shows)

EDIT: So it turns out I can't edit your comment, Tyler. Normally I wouldn't bother testing that, but it's plausible here. Pat on the back for you, Chalkers, this is now officially NOT the worst website ever. :)

Updated: Fri, 07 May 2010 03:29:35 UTC | #467132

/Mike's Avatar Comment 23 by /Mike

Tyler,

Question on the Discussion you created with the Title Ťëšť and a blank body. I'm assuming there is a space in the body to get around the "can't be blank" correct behavior? Still on IE8?

You may have said that somewhere and I missed it.

btw, thanks for testing like this - it really helps. I know it'd tedious. I've added several of your comments to the issues database and have started compiling an  abbrerviated list so people will know what's been reported and open/closed.

Thu, 06 May 2010 04:39:00 UTC | #467137

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 24 by Enlightenme..

I'm using Chrome.

Everything seems to be in a narrow half a screen band up the middle for me, (except for the blue bar) and the text size is tiny.

I now have to resize up 3 times.

Thu, 06 May 2010 05:24:23 UTC | #467141

amyonyango's Avatar Comment 25 by amyonyango

I hate having to scroll so much. Why is the text box at the top? It should be after the last comment.

And this is the third thread that has invited people to post issues about the new discussion area, and this is my third post in a new thread.

If this is going to be the third time I'm ignored then I won't be back.

Thu, 06 May 2010 06:15:51 UTC | #467149

stijndeloose's Avatar Comment 26 by stijndeloose

amyonyango
I hate having to scroll so much. Why is the text box at the top?

Good point, Amy.  I wonder what the logic was behind THAT?!

Thu, 06 May 2010 08:49:53 UTC | #467190

njwong's Avatar Comment 27 by njwong

1. There seems to be a layout issue with the fixed top banner and embedded YouTube videos. If you go to the A C Grayling video at:

http://richarddawkins.net/videos/4890

and scroll down the webpage, the embedded YouTube video, seems to be on a different layer and will scroll over the banner instead of under the banner.

I can duplicate this on Opera, Chrome and IE.

2. Why is the font used in the comment box so TINY? I am sure many of the older folks here have vision problems, and would prefer a larger font for this editing box (should be at least 9 point).

3. Agree with many others that the comment box should be at the bottom AFTER the last comment of each page, and not immediately following the post BEFORE the comments. The popularity of the old RD.NET frontpages is because of the fantastic user comments value added to each article. RD.NET is not like New York Times etc where you are supposed to comment on the article. In RD.NET, 90% of the fun is commenting on the comments themselves!

4.  Please find a way to reinstate the total number of comments added to each article, and to sequential number the comments (1, 2, 3, ...  - I am not talking about the comment number "#456789").

In the old Frontpages, I will check the total number of comments to quickly determine if new comments have been added to the article. This was an extremely useful feature, and should not be dropped.

5.  In the old Frontpages, there was a link called "Page Numbers" just before the First Comment that will bring you to be bottom of the page. Please restore this. Otherwise, I have to scroll down to the bottom of the page.

This is the "lots and lots of unnecessary scrolling" problem that the chorus is complaining about, and which I am joining.

6. The fixed banner is taking up too much screen estate, especially on my netbook (1024 x 600). Can this fixed banner be dropped? There is no value add.

7. I just realised that if I press the <Enter> key inside the comment box once the length of my comment exceeded the original textbox design length, the editor will automatically send the carriage return to the FIRST LINE  and insert a new line at the top of my comment. This is very user-unfriendly. 

Luckily, I tested and found that pressing <Shift><Enter> will not result in this wierd problem. So <Shift><Enter> it is for the time being.

8. I was surprised that the User Profile info no longer shows the User's country of origin. I always found this info useful, because users in UK, EUROPE, US, AUSTRALIA, ASIA etc would have different perspectives. Hopefully this and many of the previously available User Profile fields will be re-instated in future (especially useful ones like "Joined Date", "Last Comment Date"). Because RD.NET to me has always been about the users who add their voices, it is always useful to see such User Profile info to understand the context that a user may be coming from.

All in all, this new website re-design reminds me of the introduction of Windows Vista. Like Windows Vista which was much prettier than the dated look of Windows XP, the new website is visually gorgeous as compared to the old RD.NET.  And like Windows Vista, the prettiness was introduced with some expense to the much beloved user functionality of the old Windows XP that was not carried forward.  I am very sure many of us like the functionality of the old Frontpages,  ugliness and bugs not withstanding. I am bewildered why so much of the useful functionality that made the old RD.NET so compelling and addictive for its users had not been implemented in the new site. Hopefully, the site admins will have these missing features reinstated soon.

Kudos to the site admins for a good job in the site re-design. It's not great yet, but I believe it will get there. Looking forward to the "Windows 7" update :-)

Thu, 06 May 2010 10:48:32 UTC | #467212

kiki5711's Avatar Comment 28 by kiki5711

/Mike
Tyler, Question on the Discussion you created with the Title Ťëšť and a blank body. I'm assuming there is a space in the body to get around the "can't be blank" correct behavior? Still on IE8? You may have said that somewhere and I missed it. btw, thanks for testing like this - it really helps. I know it'd tedious. I've added several of your comments to the issues database and have started compiling an  abbrerviated list so people will know what's been reported and open/closed.
Mike, I feel sorry for you.  It seems you're stuck in the middle of this mess and the members are actually the ones fixing and correcting all the format issues, something which should have been done by the "Intelligent Designers" themselves.  I hpe you're getting well paid for this.  You're taking most of the beating for someone elses mistakes.  Good luck.

Thu, 06 May 2010 10:50:17 UTC | #467213

stijndeloose's Avatar Comment 29 by stijndeloose

Mike, I feel sorry for you.  It seems you're stuck in the middle of this mess and the members are actually the ones fixing and correcting all the format issues, something which should have been done by the "Intelligent Designers" themselves.  I hpe you're getting well paid for this.  You're taking most of the beating for someone elses mistakes.  Good luck.

Seconded.

Thu, 06 May 2010 11:12:59 UTC | #467217

sarith21's Avatar Comment 30 by sarith21

Could someone please point me towards the FAQ section? I'm trying to find out how to create a poll, and the word "poll" doesn't appear at all in any of the three existing FAQ/feedback threads. 

Thu, 06 May 2010 11:21:18 UTC | #467219