This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Thomas Campbell and "My Big TOE" - 'Theory of Everything'

Thomas Campbell and "My Big TOE" - 'Theory of Everything' - Comments

geack's Avatar Comment 1 by geack

Haven't read the book, but I looked over the website.  When an author claims to "unite science" with things like "parapsychology" and "metaphysics", I tend to get skeptical quickly.  The author claims to have spent 30 years doing rigorous scintific research on "altered states of consciousness" or some such poorly-defined subject, which leads to questions about his definition of science. Is his basic theory some variation on "Since observation appears to determine the state of quantumn particles, your consciousness therefore helps shape reality"?  That type of reaching has been thoroughly trashed elsewhere on this board.  What finally ended my interest in earning more about the books was the transparent line about "I didn't publish this in a technical journal because the public needs to know about it", and the hard turn into self-help territory in this statement: This journey will take you to the beginning of time. It will dive deeply into the human heart as well as probe the limits of the human mind. My Big TOE will redefine the significance of you, and provide new meaning to your existence. It will help you realize and optimize your potential as well as provide you with a wholly new, fully integrated, scientific understanding of both your inside and outside world. My Big TOE, written by a scientist from a Western technological viewpoint, unifies the entirety of human experience, bringing our objective and subjective worlds together under one seamless scientific understanding."

Fri, 14 May 2010 19:39:03 UTC | #470030

winindoubt's Avatar Comment 2 by winindoubt

I don't know that much about Thomas Campbell. I do know that the "theory of everything" has been the holy grail for physicists for years. The closest any one has really come to it might be Stephen Wolfram. He's been able to use computer software to generate patterns like those found in seashells, animal fur, leaves, etc. His theory is that the design of the universe is basically computation, that computation is the universe.

I would shy away from any metaphysical implications, though. I remember seeing the movie What the Bleep Do We Know?" and feeling a little strange when the narrator implied that we can control our bodies with a proper mind set, or that we can make water better by wishing it happiness.  Up until then it was a most enjoyable movie.

Happy reading. You should post a review.

Fri, 14 May 2010 22:54:58 UTC | #470110

mcarbone's Avatar Comment 3 by mcarbone

I just finished My Big Toe. It sure makes a lot of since to me. I have read a lot about Oobe's and NDE's, and I believe in a lot of that stuff. So I guess I approached it with less skepticism. I think if you have a dogma belief weather it be religious or atheism, you tend to disregard anything that don't line up with your believe system. So open minded skepticism is the best approach for anyone that seeks truth, like Thomas Campbell says in the book.

I guess the main points he makes is that consciousness is non physical, and our physical world is a simulated learning lab, created to evolve our consciousness towards more profitable states, and to lower entropy towards love and compassion. We are individuated units of consciousness that take on physical body's and evolve by free will choices. The book explains it much better then I can, but this trilogy was a real page turner, and I would recommend it to anyone with an open mind.

Fri, 11 Jun 2010 04:05:49 UTC | #479150

spherical's Avatar Comment 4 by spherical

Comment 2 by winindoubt :

I don't know that much about Thomas Campbell. I do know that the "theory of everything" has been the holy grail for physicists for years. The closest any one has really come to it might be Stephen Wolfram. He's been able to use computer software to generate patterns like those found in seashells, animal fur, leaves, etc. His theory is that the design of the universe is basically computation, that computation is the universe.

That's the golden ratio = 1.618. The ratio of length/width of a rectangle enclosing a spiral that we see everywhere in nature. The foundation of every aesthetically pleasing structures that we could observe in nature.

I never paid attention about this until a friend who is more knowledgeable than me in math and physics told me about this.

Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:47:08 UTC | #479244

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 5 by God fearing Atheist

Comment 3 by mcarbone

Your description makes me tag the book "New Age woo-woo".

Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:07:08 UTC | #479269

mcarbone's Avatar Comment 6 by mcarbone

It could be labeled as new age I suppose. I don't like that term because when you hear new age you think of psychic readings, cold readings, crystals, and lots of hocus pocus. He's a nuclear physics for Nasa, not a new age gooroo. Give the book a chance before you tag it as anything, I really enjoyed it!

Sun, 13 Jun 2010 05:46:11 UTC | #479815

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 7 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:46:04 UTC | #948896

irate_atheist's Avatar Comment 8 by irate_atheist

Comment 7 by Ted Vollers -

Gish gallop.

Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:16:17 UTC | #948898

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 9 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 11 Jul 2012 19:42:50 UTC | #948926

VrijVlinder's Avatar Comment 10 by VrijVlinder

I have always been interested in asstral projections lol not really just think it is assinine . The movie Contact comes to mind. Can we separate consciousness from the body ? No , if the body dies is there consciousness ? NO .

Worries me he is using this research to help in military purposes as weapons. So much for having a conscience .

Thomas Warren Campbell

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thomas Warren Campbell, Jr. (December 9, 1944 - ), is a physicist [1], and the author of the book trilogy My Big TOE.[2] (TOE is an acronym for Theory of Everything). [edit]Biography

Campbell was the keynote speaker at The Monroe Institute’s twenty-second Professional Seminar, held March 20–24, 2010, where he had previously been a member of the Board of Directors. The Monroe Institute credits Campbell as being the "TC (physicist)" described in Robert Monroe's second book Far Journeys.[3] Campbell discussed his book at a presentation to the London College of Spirituality February 22, 2008 entitled Physics, Metaphysics, and the Nature of Consciousness. Campbell is a professional physicist with expertise in large-system simulations, technology development and integration, and complex system vulnerability and risk analysis, working mostly in the context of US missile defense systems, including working with the Space and Missile Defense Command, the Missile Defense Agency and NASA.[4][5] [edit]References

^ "The effects of binaural beats on consciousness were first examined by physicist Thomas Warren Campbell" Astral Projections also see Binaural Beats ^ Thomas Campbell My Big TOE The Complete Trilogy, Lightning Strike Books; 1st edition, 2007, ISBN 0-9725094-7-X ^ http://www.monroeinstitute.org/journal/campbell-to-deliver-keynote-address/ ^ Profile of Thomas Campbell at MBT Events ^ https://www.my-big-toe.com/catalognew/author.php?osCsid=ce59b21d1aa3f539174c9d8081ffd9c0 [edit]External links

www.mybigtoe.com Physics, Metaphysics, and the Nature of Consciousness on YouTube Presentation Deck for the presentation above

Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:40:20 UTC | #948934

Zappaesque's Avatar Comment 11 by Zappaesque

So you're all basically practioners of hasty conclusions based on assumptions, never even reading the material. Seems weird to me. This is probably one of the most important books in the 21st century. But what do I know. Read it for yourself, or listen to the lectures on youtube. Your assumptions are way off base and you're doing a disservice to yourself dismissing something so blindly that I have no doubt will open up your mind and give you many new perspectives on these things you think, you believe, are not science. Well, try it out.

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:48:27 UTC | #949432

Zappaesque's Avatar Comment 12 by Zappaesque

And VrijVlinder, if you're really worried, you can rest assured, besides the fact it said nowhere that he is using his research "to help in military purposes as weapons", he worked for a period of time in missile [defense]; you know, the area that protects us from attacks. I know in this country that seems like a joke, missile defense... Anyway, that's completely beside the point. He's always maintained some kind of day job as a physicist and did all of his research into consciousness in his free time, but I'm just remembering that you haven't looked at any of his work [edited by moderator to bring within Terms of Use]. Aside from all that, there's tons of scientific evidence for all things "paranormal" to be found in many different places. If you find any free time away from snappy comments on "science" websites, I again urge you to read Tom's books [you can read it all for free in googlebooks] And after you do so, I'd honestly enjoy hearing your opinion.

Wed, 18 Jul 2012 03:07:32 UTC | #949479