This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Larsen's Embryology used to bolster bogus Biodynamics

Larsen's Embryology used to bolster bogus Biodynamics - Comments

SourTomatoSand's Avatar Comment 1 by SourTomatoSand

Dear Nick Nakorn,

I had never heard of this anthroposophy, and now that I know about it, my world is just a little bit darker. You have ruined my day.

Thank you.

Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:25:45 UTC | #484348

Cluebot's Avatar Comment 2 by Cluebot

More spiritualist trash? Our cup runneth over...

Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:48:04 UTC | #484506

GasMaNZ's Avatar Comment 3 by GasMaNZ

I am going to use this site as a glowing, nay, shining example of pseudoscientific BULLSHIT.

Tue, 29 Jun 2010 01:33:52 UTC | #484526

NickNakorn's Avatar Comment 4 by NickNakorn

Dear SourTomatoSand,

I entirely agree, it certainly does put a damper on life. Sadly, the area in which I live has several Anthroposophist organisations within a short distance including The Camphill Community, A Steiner School, a Biodynamic Farm, The Christian Community and possibly the Transition Town Movement (see the second half of Mystic Shadows of Colour on my blog).

Dear Cluebot,

here in South Devon (UK) it feels more like a flood; science is also being undermined by the Schumacher College's Goetherian 'science' course. Environmental science is being horribly squeezed - even Plymouth University offers a course in Steiner Education. It's all very depressing.

Dear GazmaNZ,

a good idea - the more one can expose this ghastly movement the better - it's growing like topsy in the UK and has to be stopped.

thanks for your (very brief!) comments,

best wishes,

Nick

Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:46:08 UTC | #485004

caanjastsecthay's Avatar Comment 5 by caanjastsecthay

hello! i worked within a steiner organisation for almost 4 years. i had no idea what anthroposophy was untill after i started working there, and in my opinion it is a very dangerous belief system. i worked with adults with learning disabilities, who steiner belived "were in need of special care of the soul". everything is done with the soul in mind, and not the person. in the end i had to leave, as i could no longer stand to see such blatent disriguard of real human life and could no longer be part of thier lies. the adults with learning disabilities are being held back by this ridiculous belief system, and they are not even given a choice in reguards to if they wish to follow it. i personally was told of many times for exressing a view point different to the anthroposophical one. aplologies for my awfull spelling, im not so good at typing and looking at what ive typed at the same time! i shall visit your blog nick, maybe i can be of help to you! laura

Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:23:19 UTC | #523295

PeteKaraiskos's Avatar Comment 6 by PeteKaraiskos

Thank you for the post Nick -

Steiner/Waldorf schools are extremely problematic. I just joined this site, but intend to post some information about Steiner schools in the coming weeks. I have had experiences with private Waldorf which include the teaching of racism as science, force-feeding of intelligent design to atheist students, unbelievably strange science, mythology taught as history and much more.

The most troubling thing about Waldorf/Steiner education is that its representatives HIDE the presence of Anthroposophy in the classroom from prospective and even enrolled parents. They prefer to slip it covertly into every lesson. I've been involved with this system for nearly two decades and have become a pretty decent whistle-blower.

[Links to personal blogs removed by moderators, and post slightly edited to reflect the changes.]

Wed, 01 Aug 2012 19:05:21 UTC | #950360

RobotUlysses's Avatar Comment 7 by RobotUlysses

I've actually just joined this website to comment on this article. Hello. I was in a Steiner school for over 12 years, so my entire education has come from Steiner, besides 4 years, in which I was also educated through GCSEs and A-Levels as well. I'll begin by saying I'm completely agnostic, I'm not an anthroposophist, nor am I an atheist, or anything else, really. Not once in my 12 years was I indoctrinated into their ideas. I believe in science, but I also entertain the idea that the two may evolve and marry one day, as we discover more and more corrections in our science, perfecting our theories. I guess my main idea is that I'm not spiritual, but I don't hold complete faith in science, because all science is is the best explanations we have right now, rather than the absolute truth. I mean, isn't that why we still research? As someone who you might call a "product" of waldorf education, maybe you'd be interested to see how it actually is from the inside, as several of you seem to have read one article and it's "made your world darker". I'll say this: I know of absolutely NO-ONE who has become an anthroposophist simply because they were in a steiner school. In my formative years, while I was educated using Steiner's methods, I was never taught anything even vaguely anthroposophical in terms of content, although its presence certainly wasn't hidden or "slipped in", in fact every single student is deeply cynical and dismissive of any anthroposophy being taught (the "methods" are something I've researched and, while informed by a spirituality, they function just as well without it. They fundamentally consist of little more than teaching children things at a time when their psychological and emotional states are most fit for it, eg, not teaching children science and literature at an age when it's little more to them than a list of facts, but rather at a time when they will get something out of it to an extent where it sticks and becomes a genuine interest rather than something they just have to remember because it might "be on the test".) I was, however, taught mainstream evolution, embryology, botany, zoology, cosmology, astrophysics and many other subjects rarely associated with spiritual beliefs. Most of my teachers weren't even anthroposophists. Even religious stories are taught not to create belief, but to understand the mythology that informs so much of our society's rules. I've met plenty of pseudo-spiritual and pseudo-scientific people in my time in the Steiner world, and there are crazy people who try and shove it down your throat, as in any belief system, including atheism and science. Luckily, none of them are teachers at my particular school. There tends to be an assumption that everything linked with steiner is taught in Waldorf schools. This really isn't true, as I was taught nothing of his theories until I asked for it at an age where I was old enough to asses it myself. Eurythmy is the exception, but it's little more than dancing and certainly not harmful, besides maybe usurping time. I do not support any sector of anthroposophy outside of the education system. and I don't support the spirituality. I do, however, have some respect for it beyond my basic respect for the beliefs of others (basically not maliciously attacking someone's personally held faith, so long as they don't project it on others), as the belief system asks not for blind faith, but offers exercises through which you can experience things yourself. Whether or not people who claim to have had these experiences are lying is up to you, I'm undecided, but frankly feel there a far more interesting things to look into. This is just a little of the impression I get from my time in steiner education. Condemn anything that's called science but isn't as much as you like, but be careful about condemning steiner education. Too many wrong assumptions are made about it.

Thu, 15 Nov 2012 18:53:32 UTC | #951264