This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Posters for the protests against the pope.

Posters for the protests against the pope. - Comments

EvN's Avatar Comment 1 by EvN

@ Sally

whether it is a mistake to focus on the idea of arresting and prosecuting the pope.

I think so. The odious man will not be arrested and he most probably has immunity. Do not flog a dead horse.

I do think anything that conveys (our collective) disgust in the man and his organisation would be more to the point.

Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:35:31 UTC | #517177

SomersetJohn's Avatar Comment 2 by SomersetJohn

Comment 1 by EvN :

@ Sally

whether it is a mistake to focus on the idea of arresting and prosecuting the pope.

I think so. The odious man will not be arrested and he most probably has immunity. Do not flog a dead horse.

I do think anything that conveys (our collective) disgust in the man and his organisation would be more to the point.

Agreed, but I'd add posters which expose this odious little reptile to ridicule as well. After all, we don't want the entire message to be we take him seriously, do we?

Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:43:09 UTC | #517181

EvN's Avatar Comment 3 by EvN

Comment 2 by SomersetJohn

I'd add posters which expose this odious little reptile to ridicule as well. After all, we don't want the entire message to be we take him seriously, do we?

Ja. Make the bastard and his followers cringe with embarrassment. (Not shame, though. They have none.)

Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:58:09 UTC | #517184

JQisAwesome's Avatar Comment 4 by JQisAwesome

The campaign to arrest the Pope is absurd - based on circumstantial evidence that somehow links the Pope with some document that somehow overlooked something that someone else may or may not have done to children.

Richard and Christopher really made fools out of themselves while calling for the Pope's arrest with absolutely ZERO legal precedent.

Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:05:21 UTC | #517188

Frenger's Avatar Comment 5 by Frenger

I don't think you can say they made themselves look like fools for merely pointing out that the pope is considered above the Law.

They knew from the start (I suspect anyway) that they would never get the pope arrested, but by bringing all this up, and even getting Ken Clarke to change the law to offer the pope more protection, they really showed what a bent State we live in.

We all knew deep down that he could never be arrested, no matter how tightly we wrapped our fingers around the others, but it was a wonderful way of showing how the Church is a dispicible institution from the bottom, right the way up to the top.

Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:14:23 UTC | #517658

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 6 by Sally Luxmoore

I think some of the comments above are ignoring the fact that Richard and the Hitch were not specifically advocating rushing up to the pope and clapping him in irons (much though we may all enjoy the thought) but were seeking to examine a possible case against him. Geoffrey Robertson QC has now done that, so I think it is probably better to let his little book do its stuff without referring to it in a way that might trivialise it.

So I'm agreeing that it's better not to use the handcuffs etc, though it was quite fun thinking about it.

Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:34:13 UTC | #517676

bstevens84's Avatar Comment 7 by bstevens84

Comment 5 by Frenger :

... and even getting Ken Clarke to change the law to offer the pope more protection...

I am no authority on legal history, but surely there have been cases where a similar situation has occurred in the past. It would be interesting to see the differences if any.

Updated: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:21:50 UTC | #517725

Frenger's Avatar Comment 8 by Frenger

@bstevens84

I'm sure you're right, it probably has happened a lot in the past. But I don't think that justifies it.

It was probably wrong then and it is certainly wrong now.

Although my knowledge of anything legal is minute, I'm just going on what the Guardian said.

Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:48:10 UTC | #517757

Frenger's Avatar Comment 9 by Frenger

I am no authority on legal history, but surely there have been cases where a similar situation has occurred in the past. It would be interesting to see the differences if any.

I'm sure you're right it probably has happened in the past, but that doesn't justify it.

It was probably wrong then and it is certianly wrong now.

Although I'm no expert on any legal issues, current or otherwise, I was just going on what I read in the Guardian.

Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:51:09 UTC | #517759

bstevens84's Avatar Comment 10 by bstevens84

indeed, this particular type of legal precedence (if it exists), doesn't seem justified when it is bestowed upon a religious leader- although many would disagree i'm sure.

Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:54:48 UTC | #517763

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 11 by TheRationalizer

WE WANT FILES

NOT PAEDOPHILES!

Updated: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 18:06:05 UTC | #517838

JQisAwesome's Avatar Comment 12 by JQisAwesome

I am no authority on legal history, but surely there have been cases where a similar situation has occurred in the past.

There has never been a conviction (in a modern court) on the flimsy evidence they have of "cover ups" on the Pope. The use of handcuffs and cries for the Pope's arrest are pathetic.

Tue, 14 Sep 2010 19:14:48 UTC | #517888

Tord M's Avatar Comment 13 by Tord M

I think all the posters were good. You've done a good job! I particularly liked the cartoon "Pope in the dock", because it's more subtle that the usual "Arrest the Pope!". I also liked "Misogynist? Homophobic? Like dressing up? We've got the church for you!". But I'm no expert in communication, so maybe simpler and shorter slogans than those two work better on posters in a demonstration?

Tue, 14 Sep 2010 19:27:49 UTC | #517896

ShoutingQuietly's Avatar Comment 14 by ShoutingQuietly

Leave no child's behind!

Tue, 14 Sep 2010 20:10:16 UTC | #517915

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 15 by TheRationalizer

How about : Only male members dislike condoms!

Thu, 16 Sep 2010 07:48:27 UTC | #518709

lilalindy's Avatar Comment 16 by lilalindy

RATZINGER - THE PAEDOPHILES' FRIEND

Anybody noticed that Benny the Rat has a striking resemblance to Theodore Gottlieb (The Burbs)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mD5JlMiRsOA/SrIvQS_M94I/AAAAAAAACzY/O2Le7zHhIUA/s1600-h/theodore.jpg

and

http://www.topnews.in/files/Pope-Benedict-XVI_6.jpg

can you tell which is which??

Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:04:06 UTC | #519029