This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Pat Condell - The Pope needs a miracle

Pat Condell - The Pope needs a miracle - Comments

legal9ball's Avatar Comment 1 by legal9ball

Have to say it. An even better speech than Richard's.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 12:52:17 UTC | #521200

Secutor's Avatar Comment 2 by Secutor

This is one of the funniest videos he's done in a while.

His rants against the so called Ground Zero Mosque made him seem like a hypocrite. He's spoken several times about his love of freedom, but apparently doesn't seem to understand that people have the freedom to worship whatever imaginary beings they choose on their own private property, regardless of who it offends. Our Bill of Rights protects freedom of speech, not freedom from being offended. I would have thought that someone who cares so little about whether or not he offends someone would understand that.

I'm glad to see that he's gone back to doing what he does best: mercilessly mocking religious stupidity.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 13:23:00 UTC | #521209

guyver_dio's Avatar Comment 3 by guyver_dio

Watched a few of his videos after watching this one, love his crafty wording, really interesting to listen to.

In one of the videos he actually used the word antidisestablishmentarianism in a sentence. I came across this word as a kid when I would try and find the longest words in the dictionary sometimes when I'd get bored. First time I've ever heard it used in a sentence lol.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 14:03:24 UTC | #521225

HughCaldwell's Avatar Comment 4 by HughCaldwell

It's pointless to post a video as a basis for discussion. You need a transcription.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 14:40:02 UTC | #521252

Daz365's Avatar Comment 5 by Daz365

Although he sometimes talks sense, he ruins it by being a zenaphobic Little Englander with a smug punchable face.

I didn't realise he was an antidisestablishmentarianismist.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 14:41:17 UTC | #521253

HughCaldwell's Avatar Comment 6 by HughCaldwell

I didn't realise he was an antidisestablishmentarianismist.

See what I mean about the need for a transcript?

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 14:59:23 UTC | #521266

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 7 by elenaripoll

Pat you and me Dominatrix style sexy calender for 2011, with "ATHEISM say's it's OK your not going to Hell" on front e.t.c e.t.c e.t.c

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:32:37 UTC | #521282

James Rainsford's Avatar Comment 8 by James Rainsford

I find Pat Condell's videos a breath of fresh air in a world polluted by religious smog. I've just posted a piece on my blog re the Pope's visit which may be of interest. Cheers, James. Comments are welcome. Here's the link: link text

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 16:02:58 UTC | #521300

HughCaldwell's Avatar Comment 9 by HughCaldwell

Pat Condell is great fun but it's rather odd to be debating the witticisms of a comic.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:03:46 UTC | #521344

cheesedoff17's Avatar Comment 10 by cheesedoff17

I've seen it before so I don't think it new. It seems to me, listening to polititians and the English and French media, that a miracle has already occurred as the public is being assured that the visit was a great success and that he can go back to Rome proud of himself for having won British hearts!

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:24:32 UTC | #521398

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 11 by Stevehill

As I said of his last video, this guy just does not work for me. It's not comedy: comedy needs an audience, not a one-man-to-camera act of narcissism. It's not funny. It's dull, boring, alienating. It does not have the redeeming feature that say Dawkins has of being a serious, Ciceronian argument based on reason and evidence.

Let's see him do this spiel in a club with a mic and see how long the audience tolerates it. Because otherwise, as I said of the last effort, it's the pub bore with a magic veto over (non-existent) hecklers or interruptions from anyone else who might say, yes but where's the punchline?

This stuff might tickle the fancies of a ten year old educated in a faith school who always fancied creeping into the school chapel with a spray can after hours. But it's intellectually and comedically bereft. Monty Python did all this stuff decades ago - and 100 times better.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:02:05 UTC | #521478

cheesedoff17's Avatar Comment 12 by cheesedoff17

Steve, it's not meant to be funny ha ha. The pleasure I used to get out of it was more a relief and gratitude that someone was saying these things. Things that no one else was saying. Things which needed to be said.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:18:57 UTC | #521491

aliensmack's Avatar Comment 13 by aliensmack

I never realized this guy was supposed t be a comedian

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 01:09:50 UTC | #521605

besleybean's Avatar Comment 14 by besleybean

Likewise.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 05:55:05 UTC | #521672

GPWC's Avatar Comment 15 by GPWC

Comment 11 by Stevehill :

As I said of his last video, this guy just does not work for me. It's not comedy: comedy needs an audience, not a one-man-to-camera act of narcissism. It's not funny. It's dull, boring, alienating. It does not have the redeeming feature that say Dawkins has of being a serious, Ciceronian argument based on reason and evidence.

Let's see him do this spiel in a club with a mic and see how long the audience tolerates it. Because otherwise, as I said of the last effort, it's the pub bore with a magic veto over (non-existent) hecklers or interruptions from anyone else who might say, yes but where's the punchline?

I believe Pat Condell used to do stand up. Now he does these written pieces delivered on video. It is serious writing with some humour. Personally I like it a lot, but I can see it will not be to everyone's taste. That said the Church have spent years proliferating their stories and approaches. They know that there are different strokes for different folks and we, atheist, have to recognise that and not fall out over style.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:54:16 UTC | #521701

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 16 by elenaripoll

I love it.....he has a sexy mind, have you noticed all comedians are Atheist? except for Frank Skinner.....says all really!!!

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:11:17 UTC | #521729

theTtheGtheAtheC's Avatar Comment 17 by theTtheGtheAtheC

Damn... I thought this was a link to a new Condell video.. Never mind. Heres hoping he whips his camera out soon for some more "take no sh*t" rationalism. Gotta love him, keep up the good work my friend

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:47:35 UTC | #521873

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 18 by mjwemdee

I think we need people like Pat Condell. It is so easy to dismiss him as just a 'ranter'. What one hears as a rant is significant and heartfelt. And here and there he IS comedic, satirical.

I don't agree with everything he says on all his videos, and some are more entertaining and some less. But he gets a hell of a lot absolutely right, and will tread into areas other critics fear to go.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:30:01 UTC | #522007

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 19 by Sally Luxmoore

It's not straight comedy, it's polemic, with plenty of irony and satire. Therefore lots of people don't get it.

Sometimes I think you have to be English to get irony - but then I remember the Simpsons!

For me, his cheerful rants are like a breath of fresh air. I think it is because he takes what is otherwise an amorphous rage and fashions it into ascerbic wit. I like him and think he's very intelligent, but I suppose he's an acquired taste.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:54:49 UTC | #522058

Stonyground's Avatar Comment 20 by Stonyground

The thing to note here is the healthy disagreement and discussion. We do not all follow a particularly eloquent speaker like sheep. I agree with some of Pat's monologues and disagree with others.

A real trick was missed by those who had a problem with a Muslim community centre being built close to the site of the 9/11 attack. A unanimous message should have been expressed that although some find the building offensive, we in the west value the freedom to have it built far above a few people's hurt feelings. The implications of this would be obvious, and could be spelled out to those who were too stupid or obtuse to see them.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:21:56 UTC | #522146

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 21 by mjwemdee

Comment 20 by Stonyground
The thing to note here is the healthy disagreement and discussion. We do not all follow a particularly eloquent speaker like sheep.

On this subject: was I the only atheist/secularist in that crowd of 16,000 (?) protesting the Pope who felt ever-so-slightly uncomfortable at being encouraged to join in rhythmic chants? Even though 'Pope Go Home' was exactly what I felt, I still baulked at being rehearsed into synchronised bleating. I suppose it felt too much like a church service...

Ya can't herd cats.

Even so, I was glad I was there.

Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:20:01 UTC | #522181

acronistcoupon 's Avatar Comment 22 by acronistcoupon

Deleted by moderator - spam

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:49:23 UTC | #522684

JQisAwesome's Avatar Comment 23 by JQisAwesome

Comment 18 by mjwemdee :

I think we need people like Pat Condell. It is so easy to dismiss him as just a 'ranter'... I don't agree with everything he says on all his videos...

I lost all respect for Condell after his rant about the Ground Zero mosque being a testament to the victory of 9/11 or some other Islamophobic shit. He's a ranter and nothing more.

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:11:03 UTC | #522877

ukvillafan's Avatar Comment 24 by ukvillafan

Comment 5 by Daz365 :

Although he sometimes talks sense, he ruins it by being a zenaphobic Little Englander with a smug punchable face. I didn't realise he was an antidisestablishmentarianismist.

I think you'll find that Pat Condell has no liking at all for Zen.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:44:07 UTC | #524906

ukvillafan's Avatar Comment 25 by ukvillafan

Comment 23 by JQisAwesome :

Comment 18 by mjwemdee :

I think we need people like Pat Condell. It is so easy to dismiss him as just a 'ranter'... I don't agree with everything he says on all his videos...

I lost all respect for Condell after his rant about the Ground Zero mosque being a testament to the victory of 9/11 or some other Islamophobic shit. He's a ranter and nothing more.

Please define Islamophobia.

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:45:04 UTC | #524907

Omgiwaswrong's Avatar Comment 26 by Omgiwaswrong

You have a brilliant way of stating your own opinion as if it were fact. Have you ever thought of taking up religion?

Comment 11 by Stevehill :

This stuff might tickle the fancies of a ten year old educated in a faith school who always fancied creeping into the school chapel with a spray can after hours. But it's intellectually and comedically bereft. Monty Python did all this stuff decades ago - and 100 times better.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 09:26:45 UTC | #525051

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 27 by elenaripoll

I think Pat Condell is hilarious, proper laugh out loud.

But I do know I am immature as well.

I still laugh when an adult walks into a glass wall.

And 'The Inbetweeners' has me rolling around on the floor laughing, infact I have watched anything funnier on my life!

I am 30 and female, but do not object to my sense of humour being alike that of a ten year old, I'm just glad I HAVE a sense of humour at the very least!!

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:39:52 UTC | #525074

elenaripoll's Avatar Comment 28 by elenaripoll

....I LOVE Monty Python too !!!

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:42:50 UTC | #525078

seals's Avatar Comment 29 by seals

LOL! Good points there! Pat does a superb line in black humour, which is the only kind of humour there could be on the subject of the pope.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:39:55 UTC | #525167