This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Infuriating result of lack of critical thinking

Infuriating result of lack of critical thinking - Comments

Tusi's Avatar Comment 1 by Tusi

Comment Removed by Author

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 12:18:56 UTC | #531262

Tusi's Avatar Comment 2 by Tusi

Jesus being risen from the dead springs to mind :o)

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 12:20:04 UTC | #531263

zirconPhil's Avatar Comment 3 by zirconPhil

Many people believe that on Easter morning, before the sun is completely up, any water is safe to drink. I thought that was quite funny when a very religious person told be where they collected this water - just downstream from a sewage treatment plan and overflow sewer outfall, which until recently released much too much unfiltered material (problem is fixed now)...

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 13:12:01 UTC | #531275

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 4 by Alan4discussion

It is sad to see people who have been indocrinated in muddle-headed thinking as children. An unfortunate side effect is that they try to convert others in order to dispel their own doubts. (doubting is evil!!)

This can be seen in the ranting evangelicals. -- (I have a following of converts so that makes me right!)

You can see people on the discussion threads here who have no idea what they are talking about, making determined efforts to convert highly qualified scientists to creationism. They troll on and on - too stupid to know when they have lost an argument! Ignorance of your own ignorance is the ultimate level of ignorance.

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 13:22:12 UTC | #531278

MarkMyers's Avatar Comment 5 by MarkMyers

Now it all makes sense! Now I know why my reliance on 7 has let me down so often. I thought 7 was LUCKY not unlucky.

How many times did the Hebrew people march around Jericho?

I have to go to work now, but I will think of a few of those far fetched stories my family told me as fact and hope to share them later. I have not participated in reminiscing on such folklore since a few schoolmates wrote some essays on such things in college.

I still have neighbors who consult the Farmer's Alamanac.

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 13:31:09 UTC | #531279

baristaman's Avatar Comment 6 by baristaman

"Ignorance of your own ignorance is the ultimate level of ignorance".

Love that line. I'm going to use it. (with proper credit given, of course)

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 16:25:42 UTC | #531336

Denomyar's Avatar Comment 7 by Denomyar

It is irrational to become upset.

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 16:30:41 UTC | #531339

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 8 by ZenDruid

Under the circumstances, I would say that laughter is your best response. At the very least, they will stop sharing their favorite stupidities with you.

Do you think they're just trying to push your buttons when they do that?

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 17:29:19 UTC | #531359

lilalindy's Avatar Comment 9 by lilalindy

This was told to me by an otherwise rational person who is a chemical engineer.

http://www.indyarocks.com/videos/Lord-Ganesha-Milk-Miracle-477565

It is the Ganesha milk drinking 'miracle'. (closer inspection reveals dribbles down the front of the statues) this is like how children would feed their favourite doll at nursery school.

The analogy that religious things like this are child-like behaviour patterns that haven't evaporated away in the heat of rational thinking is particularly apt.

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 18:03:37 UTC | #531375

Stonyground's Avatar Comment 10 by Stonyground

My grandma would sometimes have trouble getting her fire going in the morning, possibly because her kindling sticks were a little damp. If the sun was shining on the fire-place, she would draw the curtain to keep the sun off. She was unable to distinguish between the appearance that the fire was burning better in the shade and the fact that this appearance made no difference to the reality.

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 18:08:28 UTC | #531376

Pom's Avatar Comment 11 by Pom

It seems pointless to attempt a rational discussion with people who are so lacking in common sense. It is amazing to me how many folk somehow progress through life having forgotten such elementary things as long division (let alone tensor theory!) and yet assert strongly-held opinions on technical and ethical matters about which they have no clue.

I blame my cat for everything. It's invisible, infinite, a being beyond space and time. My cat also moves in mysterious ways. Try arguing against that.

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 19:27:00 UTC | #531393

WonderMint's Avatar Comment 12 by WonderMint

My Grandmother's sister recently told us that a woman whom had had a hysterectomy decided she now wanted a child so God gave her a new uterus and ovaries. It took all I had not scream at her about how much nonsense this was. Of course this story was passed on to her from an evangelical radio show... How do people get away with this? And furthermore, how do those who believe such things manage to stay in the genepool?

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 21:10:03 UTC | #531405

raytoman's Avatar Comment 13 by raytoman

God made a miracle and ensured nobody died in the 7.1 earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand. Strangely he had nothing to do with causing the earthquake, even though Insurance Companies call it an Act of God.

HE didn't cause the earthquake in Haiti, The Tsunamis in Samoa and Indonesia, killing hundreds of thousands, and the floods in Pakistan and China. Strangely however, he created numerous miracles that prevented even more from dying in these events.

Religious people, unfortunately brainwashed from birth by their parents, have no problem believing this garbage. They see no inconsistency. They even believe in life after death and indeed everlasting life when they will meet up with all their loved ones (and in many cases an additional 74 virgins and 80,000 slaves).

Not only do they think that all this is perfectly natural and indeed "common sense" but they absolutely refuse to listen to any contridiction, to furnish any proof and in many instances, will punish and/or kill people who are rational.

Ignorance and irrationality rule and religious numbers have so far grown by over 4 billion in my lifetime. The estimated 150 million athiests are having little effect (so far) on this tsunami of ignorance which is destroying our species and our planet.

Memes (well religion anyway) beat genes any day.

Sat, 09 Oct 2010 22:49:18 UTC | #531439

Roedy's Avatar Comment 14 by Roedy

If you are a child and a dog is snarling at you with rather long fangs, no amount of logic will convince you that you are safe. This is how Christians really feel about god. They are scared silly of this cruel bastard. They may be 99% convinced he is imaginary, but what if he exists? They have to protect themselves from him with rituals and lies.

This God they have to pretend to love lets people get sick, die, be tortured or get lost when he supposedly with a flick of his holy eyelash could rectify the problem.

He created people horny as goats, then burns them in hell eternally for having lustful thoughts. That's the sort of thing a sadistic child would think up to entertain himself.

What they really want is some reassurance this this bastard will not hurt them. It is like convincing a child to lose his fear of monsters under the bed. Christians are like tiny children. That's when they were deliberately traumatised to inculcate those beliefs. They victims of a vicious form of child abuse.

You are looking at victims of brainwashing. It is not a matter of logic.

I don't think I have ever seen a movie that uses that way of looking at things to help Christians recover.

Sun, 10 Oct 2010 07:59:25 UTC | #531536

lilalindy's Avatar Comment 15 by lilalindy

I have heard people say that the islamic tent (burka or whatever it is - the one that covers up all but a slit for the eyes as worn in the UK) is what Allah says women should wear (I understand that it doesn't say that in the Quran but people persist with this nonsense).

I would argue that if Allah had meant women to wear a Burka, he would have given them the ability to make their own vitamin D so that they don't suffer from such a profound deficiency that they give birth to children with rickets.

Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:49:43 UTC | #531546

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 16 by El Bastardo

5:38

Whilst in America I went to a church, I won't name them to protect the ignorant, but the pastor told a story of how he was talking to his friend Carl Baugh “he’s a scientist, you know” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_baugh) and he mentioned he had a flight at 5:38 (a rather odd time for a flight I thought, but ho hum)

The pastor informs us that Carl thought this was interesting as, apparently, that was the frequency of light coming from the moon before the flood. He claimed that that was why people back then lived so much longer and that there are many hospitals trying to replicate that light. That if only we could get light at the frequency of 538 (538 what, he never said) we would all live longer and not get sick.

The fact that the assembled masses lapped this up without question left me dumbfounded. Grown adults not questioning how light came from the moon, instead of being reflected, or how a flood on earth somehow changed the frequency of light, it was just too much stupidity to bear.

Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:42:12 UTC | #531575

Roger J. Stanyard's Avatar Comment 17 by Roger J. Stanyard

Infuriating result of lack of critical thinking - it's endemic. It's exactly what the entire US Teabagger movement is about. Not surprisingly religious fundamentalists find the Teabagger movement a natural home.

Sun, 10 Oct 2010 12:53:00 UTC | #531585

lilalindy's Avatar Comment 18 by lilalindy

Your eyes are very sensitive to hue and if you can remember what sodium light looks like, you can put a mirror into the beam of a spectrophotometer and look at the light (it has to be a low-level light for good, scientific reasons so it won't harm you) and twist the wavelength knob until you think it is the right colour - you will get he right wavelength (589.29nm).

538 fits in as a wavelength number in nanometres. You can, as a rule of thumb, divide visible light up into three bands: 700-600nm red; 600-500nm green and 500-400nm blue. 550 is a nice green that is not bluish or yellowish so just a bit shorter than that at 538 gives a slightly bluey green, a bit ont eh cold side. Odd.

Alternatively, before the flood, the moon could have acted as a mosquito control mechanism of some sort >;-> 'Electronic Mosquito Light Repeller (HLWX-538) light blue'

Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:28:54 UTC | #531640

Matt B's Avatar Comment 19 by Matt B

When I was a little kid in religion class, the religion "teacher" told us a story about a blind man who woke every day and prayed for his sight back. One day, he woke and he had use of his sight! It was a gift and miracle of god.

Fortunately, I had a very logical mind (even way back then), so I saw this story for the nonsense it was.

Of course, these stories are designed to show us the powerful will of god. He is all powerful, and also loves his flock. The fact that these are merely made up stories should ruin the effectiveness of the "message," but of course this isn't the case for most people.

Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:33:12 UTC | #531660

Nyarlat's Avatar Comment 20 by Nyarlat

My brother very recently showed me his holy cross. He bought some more that are "blessed". I couldn´t stop laughing at him. But of course he fell on his head some years ago and got traumatized. So I am willing to excuse that. But it´s sad to see that I am the only one with some sense of reality in my family. But I have become a physicist. So maybe that´s the point. I "believe" in evidence, not in hearsay. But for someone with a disability faith seems to be a shortcut to come to grips with a bad situation. Most people I know think religion is something good even if it´s not true. And they all cherry pick from the bible. It´s so sad to have all those delusional people around you.

Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:36:59 UTC | #531793

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 21 by SaganTheCat

now if my perents were this bad I'd be forced to invent more superstitions for them to believe in (the trick is to appeal to authority e.g. "Is it true what Rev Arsehat said that you go blind if you wink at a goat? because I thibnk it's rubbish but my mate's brother's going blind and he reckons it started when he thought a goat winked at hime so he winked back...." or some such nonsense, I'm in creative freefall here).

There should be some comic value in it at the very least, but think of the magical powers you could give yourself by feeding a superstitious mind. I know they're your parents but come on... cha-ching! (new reeboks ward off mice infestations y'know, make sure you get amouse before dropping that gem)

Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:37:59 UTC | #532001

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 22 by huzonfurst

I overheard two catholics seriously discussing their belief that burying a statuette of a saint upside-down in the front yard would guarantee that you could sell your house!

Needless to say, I did not engage these two upright citizens in any sort of discussion. I did, however, spend the rest of the day banging my head against the nearest walls.

Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:54:57 UTC | #532092

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 23 by SaganTheCat

huzonfirst

guarantee that you could

it works. you "could" sell your house

plus if you partially bury it face down you have the added selling feature of somewhere to park your bike

Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:14:55 UTC | #532325

Barty77's Avatar Comment 24 by Barty77

When -anyone- tells me a stupid story like this, i quickly explain to them why it is wrong. If they argue then i accept they are too far gone and leave it. In seriousness, this level of ignorance is a fail of education. Reguardless to whether or not you have the misfortune to be brought up in a religious background, school and college, especially university (if you go) should be able to shake it from your mind.

Personally, I find this level of ignorance very disturbing. The Human species is going to go down hill very fast if such an insult to the educational system is allowed to continue.

Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:57:02 UTC | #532393

Nicko147's Avatar Comment 25 by Nicko147

A friend of mine trying to show me that miricles happen (and are proof of god) told me her aunt was driving down the motorway running late for a flight she needed to catch.

Big queue of traffic, no hope of getting there on time. Oh wait, a whole lane with no cars in it ran all the way down to the airport and she managed to catch her flight.

I asked why god would open up traffic for her aunt but 4000 children die from drinking dodgy water everyday and he does nothing about it (except create the disease and bacteria that pollute said waters).

She couldnt answer.

Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:37:01 UTC | #532876

Turboladdade's Avatar Comment 26 by Turboladdade

Just this past sunday I had a rather lengthy debate with my father about whether or not his god exists and whether or not evolution is true. It began during an unrelated discussion when my father made one of his usual condescending remarks. My parents know I'm an atheist but my father still makes religious remarks to me such as "aren't God's works incredible" if we're standing outside on a sunny day.

Anyways, around and 'round we went for like two hours and I threw everything I could at him. He kept coming back to his "evidence" that caterpillars "turn into" butterflies (he doesn't understand they're larvae, not a distinct species) and therefore, there is a god. I couldn't possibly convince him otherwise. He also used the tornado in a junkyard analogy, which I'm not sure where he got that from as he doesn't have internet access or really read any books other than the Bible.

He was also fond of declaring that there is no evidence for evolution (despite my many examples) and that it was just a theory for which "they" will never find evidence. I also have a stack of books next to my computer, the topmost of which is The God Delusion, so he kept dismissing me as being brainwashed "by Richard Dawskins" despite the many other books by many other authors that were in the pile, and the fact that I believe in evolution even when I still professed to be a Christian.

Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:53:05 UTC | #532967