This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Atheists are going public in 2012, and the World Will Not End!

Atheists are going public in 2012, and the World Will Not End! - Comments

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 1 by AtheistEgbert

I like the idea of uniting together and becoming active but not under atheism. Atheism is nothing but a negative and therefore can never provide a positive framework or worldview to unite under. As I've suggested elsewhere, naturalism is a positive worldview that can unite us against ignorance and superstition. This should be our real position and not some nihilistic sceptical position.

Wed, 17 Nov 2010 00:04:09 UTC | #548565

Don Quijote's Avatar Comment 2 by Don Quijote

I think far better equiped people than me have tried conversing with the faithful. They certainly will not listen to scientific method, reason and logic. They certainly will not read any books that disagree with any of their beliefs. They believe the development, understaning and our place in the world comes from whichever bible they believe in.

Our internet flame-wars, as you put it, lets these people know that we are not going to roll over and let them inact legislation based on bronze and iron aged texts if we can help it.

Wed, 17 Nov 2010 00:04:49 UTC | #548566

Harlon57's Avatar Comment 3 by Harlon57

Atheist Egbert: Hundreds of thousands of atheists are already active as atheists, in atheist titled groups.

Don Quijote: The online flame-wars are nothing but people sitting behind the safety of their computer writing things they would rarely say in public, face to face.

Getting out in public, and talking with believers who don't spend their days online fighting with atheists is eye-opening. You'd be surprised how many people approach me in public because of an obviously heretical t-shirt, and question me, which allows for a conversation, not an argument.

I remain in contact with quite a few people who stopped me in parking lots, stores, coffee shops etc., who did in fact read the books I recommended.

If you stop talking at people and start speaking with them, you will find many people willing to have a discussion. Progress is made.

Your internet flame-wars do not stop legislation. They are nothing more than an argument between you and some other person.

Most atheists were at one time believers. That fact proves that believers, can accept science, reason and logic.

To make a blanket statement that "They believe the development, understaning and our place in the world comes from whichever bible they believe in." is to say all believers are identical, drones.

They are not. They are people.

Richard McCargar

Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:51:48 UTC | #549025

Daniel Williams's Avatar Comment 4 by Daniel Williams

I second the notion that we should all unite and become actively involved but looking at the first two posts what chance do we have?

And secondly: Why Washington? Can't we have a rally in Amsterdam instead? I can't afford to travel to Washington.

I would be willing to organise/help organise something in Amsterdam though.

Tue, 11 Jan 2011 14:12:30 UTC | #576589

Stephen Tapply's Avatar Comment 5 by Stephen Tapply

http://www2.psych.ubc.ca/~will/Gervais_Finding%20the%20faithless.pdf

Anything which makes atheists more visible can only be a good thing.

Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:41:25 UTC | #618208