This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Unsung quotes

Unsung quotes - Comments

Duppen's Avatar Comment 1 by Duppen

I don't remember who it was that said it first to me, sadly enough, but I have been using it ever since:

"You only live once, yeah, but you are not the only one alive."

That single sentence influenced my behaviour more than any philosophy I have read or beauty I have seen. I am very glad that person (whoever it was) told me it.

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:18:24 UTC | #560628

booktalker's Avatar Comment 2 by booktalker

One day when I was extremely stressed out about work, life - everything - and was complaining that I was too busy to find the time to do other things that needed doing, my teenage son said to me,

But Mum, you choose to do this...

It brought me up short, and I often remind myself of that.

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:22:23 UTC | #560629

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 3 by Schrodinger's Cat

My maths teacher :-

" No, calculus isn't boring. Filling out Job Seekers Allowance forms is boring. If you study the former, you might avoid the latter "

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:23:17 UTC | #560630

ap96's Avatar Comment 4 by ap96

Me : "Dad, I'm bored!"

Dad: "You're not bored, you're just boring."

A very compact way of saying "It's no good just sitting there and saying you've got nothing to do when the world is full of interesting stuff: if you're bored that just demonstrates your own lack of imagination."

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:24:19 UTC | #560631

lilalindy's Avatar Comment 5 by lilalindy

My pure maths teacher told us never to accept anything without asking why.

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:29:25 UTC | #560636

Jim Callum's Avatar Comment 6 by Jim Callum

I've quoted it before but as my "A" Level European History teacher told me

"There's a very fine line between believing something is funny and believing it is wrong"

Mr J Morgan

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:31:42 UTC | #560639

sundiver's Avatar Comment 7 by sundiver

A shipmate of mine, Ricardo Candelaria, when I was snivelling about some minor mishap. "Hope that's the worst thing that happens today." Always try to keep that in mind.

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:34:25 UTC | #560642

NealOKelly's Avatar Comment 8 by NealOKelly

Comment 5 by lilalindy

My pure maths teacher told us never to accept anything without asking why.

I trust you asked him to justify that statement...

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:35:20 UTC | #560644

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 9 by Steve Zara

Comment 3 by Schrodinger's Cat

I REALLY like that. It's got just the right tone for a teacher!

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:38:15 UTC | #560646

Mark Jones's Avatar Comment 10 by Mark Jones

LOL, agree that SC's maths teacher's got it right.

My daughter asked me a question that's intrigued me, and relates to some recent debates on here:

Dad, why can't I stop thinking?

Of course, some of her teachers have disagreed that she can't.

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:49:54 UTC | #560655

G0LCU's Avatar Comment 11 by G0LCU

I must have been around 30 at the time when someone I know quoted:-

"Treat everyone as an idiot and let them improve on it. That way you will never be disappointed."... N.Wainwright.

So far, (I am now 60), that principle has never failed.

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:53:58 UTC | #560658

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 12 by SaganTheCat

Comment 10 by Mark Jones :

LOL, agree that SC's maths teacher's got it right. My daughter asked me a question that's intrigued me, and relates to some recent debates on here:

Dad, why can't I stop thinking?

Of course, some of her teachers have disagreed that she can't.

I like that. it reminds me of my own childhood wondering about stuff then wondering why i'm wondering

of course you could send her to a faith school if it all becomes too much of a burden

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 13:09:38 UTC | #560666

Rynfish's Avatar Comment 13 by Rynfish

The man who can give himself a hug everyday, truly... has the arms of a gibbon

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 13:31:54 UTC | #560677

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 14 by crookedshoes

My father (while watching me wash my first car):

You cannot polish a turd.

I have seen this weekly for my entire life. It is, in fact, a wonderful metaphor for religion. All the shiny relics assembled together do not validate one thing as true.

I tell students at the beginning of every semester:

"You get 1000 months to live. How are you spending THIS month?"

I cannot take credit for it, though, I saw a motivational speaker (through work) who said it as his thesis.

I am about 500 months into my 1000. I will NEVER waste another month.

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 13:43:11 UTC | #560684

phill marston's Avatar Comment 15 by phill marston

My physics teacher when I insisted on something I turned out to be wrong about,

"The fact you believe it doesn't make it true. I'd go so far as to say, the stronger your belief in something the harder you should ask yourself why".

And I've never forgotten my English teacher who, when I had the name of the thing you sit on in a boat on the tip of my tongue (we were reading Swallows and Amazons) said, "Umm... thwarted you, have I?".

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 13:47:55 UTC | #560688

palaeodave's Avatar Comment 16 by palaeodave

You can, of course, cut and polish a coprolite.

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 13:56:36 UTC | #560698

VitruviannMan's Avatar Comment 17 by VitruviannMan

I found this randomly online, it did not really impact my life that significantly, but I thought it was hilariously true:

To most believers, their Holy Book is like a software license. Nobody actually reads it. They just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree"

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 15:09:16 UTC | #560758

lilalindy's Avatar Comment 18 by lilalindy

Comment 14 by crookedshoes

My father (while watching me wash my first car):

You cannot polish a turd.

I have seen this weekly for my entire life. It is, in fact, a wonderful metaphor for religion. All the shiny relics assembled together do not validate one thing as true.

Mythbusters have polished a turd - I've seen it on the telly.

Here's another one, one that I find helpful virtually every day.

Expect nothing and you wont be disappointed.

Lend someone a pen/money/be nice to them - don't expect it back.

Need someone to do something (do some work for you/a bus to turn up) - don't expect it to happen: either the way it should; or, at all, depending upon the circumstances.

When things/gestures/work are returned, you are happy(er). If someone even turns up late, there is no point being angry with them, be happy that they actually bothered - you weren't expecting them to turn up, remember. If you can cut yourself free from this attachment to objects or deeds then you can be happier within yourself.

Another one is don't get angry. This really leads from a failing of the previous one. Expectation/attachment to objects or deeds leads to disappointment which leads to frustration which turns to blame and leads to anger and with anger, you lose control and when that happens, everyone loses - you more than most.

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:02:39 UTC | #560788

hitchens_jnr's Avatar Comment 19 by hitchens_jnr

This one's slightly academic, and not really a life-changer, but a fantastic quote from the 19th Century biblical scholar David Friedrich Strauss about the New Testament accounts of the Resurrection:

"Rarely has an unbelievable event ever been so poorly attested, and never has a poorly-attested event ever been so unbelievable."

Take THAT Christians!

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:05:48 UTC | #560794

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 20 by Schrodinger's Cat

There's a lovely little rhyme I remember from chemistry lessons at school.....how to remember the formula for sulphuric acid.

" Poor little Willie's dead and gone, his face you'll see no more. For what he thought was H2O.....was H2SO4 "

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:08:58 UTC | #560796

Tanweer's Avatar Comment 21 by Tanweer

Just a few from me, if I may:

Only after the last tree has been cut down, the last river has been poisoned, the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. [Cree]

It is no longer good enough to cry peace, we must act peace, live peace and live in peace. [Shenandoah]

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. [Cherokee]

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:20:50 UTC | #560805

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 22 by SaganTheCat

Comment 20 by Schrodinger's Cat :

There's a lovely little rhyme I remember from chemistry lessons at school.....how to remember the formula for sulphuric acid. " Poor little Willie's dead and gone, his face you'll see no more. For what he thought was H2O.....was H2SO4 "

My dad taught me that one :o)

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:54:56 UTC | #560830

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 23 by crookedshoes

Tanweer, Beautiful!!! I like (almost) everything you say and stand for. It is very instructive to interact with you because I think it highlights the underlying similarities in different people's ways. We are not all that different. Peace.

Oh And Liliandy, I'll let my dad know that there are now turd polishers (I doubt it will change his perspective, but.......)

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:18:16 UTC | #560848

Outrider's Avatar Comment 24 by Outrider

My A-Level physics teacher - talking about Einstein's formulation of the General Theory of Relativity:

"Genius is akin to madness in that they both require you to look at the world slightly differently to everyone else."

Along with the fourteen year old - whose name, sadly, escapes me - who was assigned to be my 'buddy' when I started senior school:

"Never, ever trust someone who feels they need to ask you to."

O.

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:25:24 UTC | #560854

Mister Griswold's Avatar Comment 25 by Mister Griswold

"We are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:46:23 UTC | #560865

EvN's Avatar Comment 26 by EvN

"You cannot make a racehorse out of a pig, but you can make a bloody fast pig."

-my Dad. He may have been quoting somebody else.

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 18:03:37 UTC | #560878

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 27 by Neodarwinian

@EvN

Racehorse out of pig is an old Italian proverb.( sans bloody )

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 18:35:00 UTC | #560900

EvN's Avatar Comment 28 by EvN

Ah. Thanks. I wonder where my dad got it from, there being no connection to Italy.

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 18:42:57 UTC | #560908

VitruviannMan's Avatar Comment 29 by VitruviannMan

find a job you love, and you'll never work a single day of your life

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 18:55:46 UTC | #560918

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 30 by Neodarwinian

Every math teacher I ever had.

The only way to learn algebra/trigonometry/calculus is by doing it.

Thu, 09 Dec 2010 19:00:10 UTC | #560921