This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← "Street-level apologetics"

"Street-level apologetics" - Comments

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 1 by El Bastardo

You mean, click here

Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:02:10 UTC | #579397

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 2 by El Bastardo

This was recorded in October 2010, yet some of the arguments are sooo old, "atheists are mean", "why can't they be like atheists of old?".

No points to be made. I've listened to 15 painful minutes and not heard one single point, I've heard this though, "Hitchens is diabolical", "Dennett is boring", "Sam Harris looks like Ben Stiller".

Wow, how scientific.

This is seriously some of the dumbest stuff I've heard in a loooooong time.

BTW, the poor hip hop music they keep playing, yeah, cause they're down with the kids.

Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:18:31 UTC | #579404

William33's Avatar Comment 3 by William33

I knew this was going to be nonsense after the presenters generalised atheist beliefs.

Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:45:36 UTC | #579410

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 4 by Neodarwinian

" The discipline of apologetics " rather says it all. Always specious argument from these people. They can't seem to realize that it is physical evidence AND reasoned logic, not OR.

Of course there are people here that don't get that either.

Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:34:55 UTC | #579438

tgfcoder's Avatar Comment 5 by tgfcoder

What's up dawgs? Let's break down the "new atheist" belief system. Werdizzle.

The funny thing is that when they talked about refutations to their claims that atheism has no morality (blah blah) and trying to ridicule them, I actually found myself saying "Hey that's actually a good answer."

Like one atheist who said "If someone said to me they believed that Lord of the Rings was real and they quoted Tolkien to prove it, it'd be the same thing"

Or a few statements from Sam Harris, that are way too easily taken at face value and not given enough thought by the hosts.

Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:47:07 UTC | #579472

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 6 by DocWebster

The thing I like about listening to Sam Harris is that even if you think you know what he's talking about, but your pissed, you should go back and listen again. If you do that enough times you will quit telling yourself what you think is being said and really listen to what he is saying. Once you master keeping your voice out of a speaker's mouth using this method you will learn ever so much more quickly than you have before. We can hardly deride the basic xtian for misunderstanding Sam when many of our ilk do also.

Mon, 17 Jan 2011 04:29:34 UTC | #579632

Misfire's Avatar Comment 7 by Misfire

I couldn't make it very far. When did sports banter become so popular outside of sports?

Tue, 18 Jan 2011 07:06:04 UTC | #580230

Vocab Malone's Avatar Comment 8 by Vocab Malone

G'day -

I am one of the aforementioned hosts of the program under discussion.

Would any of you be willing to join us for a broadcast to tell us why we were so wrong and to defend your assertions?

If so, please hit me up and we can arrange it soon.

In the meantime, in the spirit of the present jibes, I bid the farewell in hip hop/sports banter slang:

"PEACE OUT DOGS, HOLLA AT A PLAYA WHEN YOU GET A CHIZZANCE. I'M OUT 5!"

vocab of backpackradio

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 22:33:24 UTC | #860563

All About Meme's Avatar Comment 9 by All About Meme

Comment 8 by Vocab Malone

You ain't a playa, you just a tool for dee invisible man in da nice hood upstairs! You is old school, dog!

(P.S. I got some laundry to do, after that I might be interested.)

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 22:52:33 UTC | #860565

Vocab Malone's Avatar Comment 10 by Vocab Malone

To All About Meme -

Well, I guess that was about the level of response I should have expected.

In the meantime, if anyone on here is serious, please contact me and we can get you on the show.

Just to give you some background ... we do not play hip hop on the show as a gimmick for kids. My bio is that of a hip hop artist/slam poet who eventually became interested in more detailed discussions about theology and the like. Furthermore, I am now a pastor at a downtown church in a major US city so the urban aspect is natural - not for show.

And to tgfcoder, I am glad you listened to the program but we never said "atheism has no morality" if you mean that we are saying either 'atheists are immoral' or 'atheists can't know morality' or something like that. We were not saying that but rather this: no particular system of belief based on atheism can offer the proper grounding for any true morality.

Many atheist philosophers have understood this problem and have attempted to deal seriously with it. We as Christians bemoan the current crop of neo-pop-atheists who seem to have no idea that their worldview has some hefty challenges to face in this area.

This is what we would love to talk to you about on the show, should any of you finish your laundry in time.

vocab

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 00:20:43 UTC | #873371

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 11 by ZenDruid

I believe that if a human child is not indoctrinated with that Abrahamic bullshit, she automatically has "the proper moral grounding". In fact, her native moral stance is far superior to that of the God character in the OT.

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 01:16:52 UTC | #873381

Vocab Malone's Avatar Comment 12 by Vocab Malone

ZenDruid -

So if you believe that humans have a "native moral stance", what is its source? Is it genetic or more cultural ... either way, how does one determine what is the "proper moral grounding"?

I think there are solid answers to these questions but I bet mine are largely different than yours ... I also propose that you can't answer without being arbitrary or inconsistent.

Vocab

Tue, 05 Feb 2013 21:11:30 UTC | #951333

JHJEFFERY's Avatar Comment 13 by JHJEFFERY

Comment 8 by Vocab Malone

Very unimpressive, Malone. The mere cite of WL Craig makes me want to puke. I have heard him try to defend his divine command theory and find it absolutely disgusting. He is a man with no moral compass whatsoever and would prefer he leave the planet, because I do not want to share it with someone like him. And if you buy his shit, I would have to feel the same way about you.

Let me clue you, borrowing from Sam Harris:

When a voice in your head tells you to take your only son into the mountains to sacrifice him, the correct answer is "No." It's not "maybe, let me think about it," or "are you sure?" It's "no." If you think otherwise, I can do no better than to find you odious to the nth degree.

JHJ

Tue, 05 Feb 2013 22:53:59 UTC | #951334