This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Muslim sisterhood

Muslim sisterhood - Comments

jel's Avatar Comment 1 by jel

It would take at least 4 muslim sisterhoods to equal 1 muslim brotherhood though.

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:03:32 UTC | #588264

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 2 by Stevehill

They'd have to walk 10 paces behind members of the Brotherhood and do what they were told.

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:10:43 UTC | #588268

JohnnyBosc's Avatar Comment 3 by JohnnyBosc

You guys shouldn't be so dismissive. If the movement gathered enough momentum it would help circumscribe what a "light beating of a wife" entails.

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 16:08:40 UTC | #588284

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 4 by Richard Dawkins

Yes, Johann Hari in 2009 wrote an excellent piece called 'The best way to undermine the jihadists is to trigger a rebellion of Muslim women.' See also his searing article about a woman who had battery acid thrown in her face because she dared to want an education.

Richard

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 16:10:48 UTC | #588285

Stewart's Avatar Comment 5 by Stewart

... a woman who had battery acid thrown in her face because she dared to want an education.

I suppose if fundamentalist Muslims had to learn Yiddish, then "a woman wanting an education" would be the only example adequate to the task of getting them to really understand the term "chutzpah."

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 16:29:11 UTC | #588293

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 6 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 5 by lilalindy

Interesting link there...for as long as it's allowed to stay up.

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 16:33:27 UTC | #588294

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 7 by Ignorant Amos

What do members of the sisterhood that blow themselves up get in paradise? 72 bearded mullahs to give them a hammering for eternity...can't see the attraction myself. Then again, I suppose you'd need to be devout in the first place. Enigma hurts.

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 16:38:15 UTC | #588296

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 8 by AtheistEgbert

Unfortunately, just like there is a strange Stockholm Syndrome mentality among fellow atheists that embrace their persecutors (known as accommodationists), so there are among Muslim women.

Sayeeda Warsi is a perfect example of a Muslim woman empowered (probably wrongly) by guilt-ridden western male politicians, and rather than embrace this new sense of power for women, she uses it as a platform to criticise secular society and homosexuals, and does nothing whatsoever to further the empowerment of Muslim women (or women in general). What a completely wasted opportunity.

The problem is, religion and feminism (or the liberal project in general) are contradictory and conflicting. Much like religion and science are conflicting. Hence why it is absolutely absurd to expect religious drenched political figures to embrace a world of equality and freedom for all.

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 16:40:33 UTC | #588298

sprite's Avatar Comment 9 by sprite

Comment 5 by lilalindy :

I suspect that they've all got to stay at home so that their husbands can have control of them. Just imagine if they were allowed to express themselves like western women (NSFW).

No doubt it is this only alternative option of being the whore rather than the madonna that makes so many muslim women accept the devil they know.

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:13:07 UTC | #588310

sprite's Avatar Comment 10 by sprite

As for a Muslim Sisterhood, I have come across mention of it ocasionally and this may offer some insight:

The Islamic Movement And Women's Activity by Sh. Yusuf al-Qaradawi

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:21:29 UTC | #588314

SomersetJohn's Avatar Comment 11 by SomersetJohn

Radical solution No 1.

All men can carry pistols, but married men can only carry a pistol if their wife carries one, and the man's cannot be bigger than the woman's.

With muslims having up to four wives that might get a bit oppressive for a bad husband!

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:24:54 UTC | #588315

sprite's Avatar Comment 12 by sprite

There's also this more specifically about women within the Muslim Brotherhood movement: Radical "Muslim Sisterhood" uncovered in Egypt

evidence of a group of women who serve as "mules" to deliver messages and act as messengers for the terrorist group.

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:34:59 UTC | #588319

green and dying's Avatar Comment 13 by green and dying

Comment 12 by SomersetJohn :

Radical solution No 1.

All men can carry pistols, but married men can only carry a pistol if their wife carries one, and the man's cannot be bigger than the woman's.

With muslims having up to four wives that might get a bit oppressive for a bad husband!

Why do you want to arm the husbands!?

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:37:08 UTC | #588320

DocWebster's Avatar Comment 14 by DocWebster

Comment Removed by Author

Sat, 05 Feb 2011 22:14:37 UTC | #588405

Net's Avatar Comment 15 by Net

With all the woory about the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypy, I can't help but wonder could there be a such a thing as a Muslim Sisterhood

i certainly hope there isn't! aren't women smarter than that??

Sun, 06 Feb 2011 00:26:11 UTC | #588434

Prithvi's Avatar Comment 16 by Prithvi

There is such a thing as "Muslim sisterhood". I often see a bunch of veiled young women scurrying to the interior of my uncle's house to discuss how to establish Shariah. They move so fast that you won't be able to see them but with some effort. Islam assumes that men are always itching to rape every women they see(that also includes old women- VERY OLD women), so the Islamic woman has to move fast in order to escape the lascivious claws of men. All this may sound like a joke, but it's true.

Sun, 06 Feb 2011 09:10:42 UTC | #588489

Krasny's Avatar Comment 17 by Krasny

The Muslim Sisterhood, or the Catering Corps as they are know to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Sun, 06 Feb 2011 11:07:37 UTC | #588510

JohnnyBosc's Avatar Comment 18 by JohnnyBosc

Comment 16 by Net :

With all the woory about the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypy, I can't help but wonder could there be a such a thing as a Muslim Sisterhood

i certainly hope there isn't! aren't women smarter than that??

Maybe, maybe not. Allow me to tell an old joke, sorry if you've heard it before:

Adam talks with God in Eden. God has fashioned Eve some tíme ago, and Adam has had the time to figure out what she's good for, as well as some of the pros and the cons of the arrangement.

Adam: God, this 'Eve' business is absolutely outstanding. How you could come up with something as marvelous and gorgeous as that I'll just never know. Thanks a bundle, God!

God: MY SON, I CREATED HER THAT WAY SO THAT IT WOULD BE EASY FOR YOU TO LOVE HER WITH ALL YOUR BEING.

Adam pauses. There's more, but if there's something he's learned by now is that God can get a bit --moody-- and that He isn't particularly easy to get along with when He gets that way. Still, He appears this day to be in as sunny a state of mind as He ever gets, and Adam did put in the obligatory major five-alarm brownnosing at the beginning of the conversation. So he takes the plunge:

Adam: Yes, really tremendous job, God. Now, there's just the tiniest little wrinkle I'd like to --uh-- question.

God: GO AHEAD MY SON.

Adam: How come you made her so fucking dumb?

God: SO THAT IT WOULD BE AT ALL POSSIBLE FOR HER TO LOVE YOU, MY SON.

Sun, 06 Feb 2011 11:24:35 UTC | #588517

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 19 by Neodarwinian

Certainly something to promote.

Mon, 07 Feb 2011 06:12:41 UTC | #588772

Spawny Rosary's Avatar Comment 20 by Spawny Rosary

Sorry about the typos in the original post.

Comment 4 by Richard Dawkins :

Yes, Johann Hari in 2009 wrote an excellent piece called 'The best way to undermine the jihadists is to trigger a rebellion of Muslim women.' See also his searing article about a woman who had battery acid thrown in her face because she dared to want an education.

Richard

Two excellent articles linked there. When Islamic women can be empowered then perhaps sense may prevail.

Comment 9 by AtheistEgbert :

Sayeeda Warsi is a perfect example of a Muslim woman empowered (probably wrongly) by guilt-ridden western male politicians, and rather than embrace this new sense of power for women, she uses it as a platform to criticise secular society and homosexuals, and does nothing whatsoever to further the empowerment of Muslim women (or women in general). What a completely wasted opportunity.

Yes, I voted for Warsi in the New Humanist Bad Faith Awards.

Mon, 07 Feb 2011 13:31:56 UTC | #588897