This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

Extremism is threatening global civilization

If you haven't caught these on the news, here are some eye opening facts about current events. You can find the full article here about the radical Muslim cleric who'll lead a Washington rally for sharia in America - below is an excerpt:

British extremist Anjem Choudary - who once said 'the flag of Islam will fly over the White House' - has announced he will lead a demonstration calling on Muslims to establish the Sharia law across America.

The rally, planned for March 3...

I want to believe that we the secular/humanist/atheist minorities of the world are doing the best we can to raise awareness on the dangers of extremism, but I just can't get myself to ignore that we have nowhere near the media coverage of extremist Christians or Muslims.

On the one hand we have an Islamic movement in America that's trying to get immunity under "Islamophobia", while promoting religious fascism. Although I hate to admit it, this radical cleric will probably summon up a considerable crowd in Washington, or at least get considerable media coverage even if he doesn't.

On the other hand, we have a majority Christian super-power, almost half of whose citizens believe the coming of the Messiah and the end of days are decades away. Their leaders shamelessly tell the believing masses that the Iraq war and the conflict against the Muslims are "a focal point of end-time events".

We have Wikileaks cables explicitly showing that al-Qaeda is trying to smuggle material to make nuclear and biological weapons. Adding to this, we have the UK and the US raising the threat level this month to highest since 9/11.

What are we waiting for? I know that, some of us here are writing blogs, books, promoting humanism/atheism on Youtube channels, and I do the best I can on a variety of mediums as well. But isn't it time we come together and have an organized effort? What if time's running short - do we really need another 9/11 before we start putting together a nation(s)-wide organized movement?

I know there are movements like this website, or individuals among us who make efforts. I also know, bringing together Atheists to agree on anything is a difficult task - but I think the threat to global civilization from extremism is one thing on which we can all agree. Wouldn't our voices be suppressed by the opposing chants of the overwhelming number of Christian nationalists if we can't all come together while this Christian West vs. Muslim East confrontation escalates?

Or am I missing something here?

TAGGED: ISLAM, LAW, POLITICS

Comments

Comment RSS Feed

Please sign in or register to comment