This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

Has statement that Robertson said Katrina caused by Degeneres been retracted?

In The God Delusion, the book states that Pat Robertson said Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans because Ellen Degeneres lived there? Snopes.com says it didn't happen--that Robertson never said this. Has Richard Dawkins recanted or retracted this statement? Richard is too important a figure to me not to verify this fact. Which is the truth? Clearly Robertson is capable of saying such things. It would be bad though if Richard didn't check this fact before publishing it. Has this issue already been rehashed?

Note by Richard Dawkins

Look at the footnote on the relevant page of The God Delusion, which says the following:

"It is unclear whether the story, which originated at http://datelinehollywood.com/ archives/2005/09/05/robertson-blames-hurricane-on-choice-of-ellen-deneres-to-host- emmys/ is true. Whether true or not, it is widely believed, no doubt because it is entirely typical of utterances by evangelical clergy, including Robertson, on disasters such as Katrina. See, for example, www.emediawire.com/releases/2005/9/emw281940.htm. The website that says the Katrina story is untrue (www.snopes.com/katrina/ satire/robertson.asp) also quotes Robertson as saying, of an earlier Gay Pride march in Orlando, Florida, ‘I would warn Orlando that you’re right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don’t think I’d be waving those flags in God’s face if I were you’."

TAGGED: -, RELIGION

MORE BY fram0202

MORE

Comments

Comment RSS Feed

Please sign in or register to comment