This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Anatomical clues to human evolution from fish

Anatomical clues to human evolution from fish - Comments

thatgingerscouser's Avatar Comment 1 by thatgingerscouser

Blasphemy! It is, however REALLY VERY COOL to see the eyes move from the side of the head, the nostrils from the top and the mouth from the 'neck'. Fisheyes, blowholes and gills indeed...!

Thu, 05 May 2011 13:37:21 UTC | #623334

Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar Comment 2 by Schrodinger's Cat

Mmmm. I do love a nice dish of second cousin 1,486,201 times removed, and chips....with plenty of vinegar.

Thu, 05 May 2011 14:11:32 UTC | #623343

Dr. monster's Avatar Comment 3 by Dr. monster

at 00:22 it looks just like a seal's face. i wish they had videos of the whole embrio and in other animals. all embrios look alike. i thought this evidence should have been in the TGSOE but i didn't see it.

Thu, 05 May 2011 14:15:07 UTC | #623344

edmundjessie's Avatar Comment 4 by edmundjessie

Interesting article in general. I suppose the only weakness of the system of natural selection as a mechanism for evolution is that functions, like hiccups, that have no real short-term negative impact on selection survive indefinitely long-term in species to the slight detriment and inconvenience of descendent's who've otherwise evolved to have no use for them anymore. Hiccup excuse me.

I guess that also means anyone holding a 'God used Evolution to create life' theological position has to believe in a perfect God who for some reason designed a very slightly imperfect system for reasons obviously too profound for any of us to comprehend.

How many more impractical functions or appendages from the current human generation will our very distant descendants curse about being saddled with I wonder? I'm looking down now and wondering exactly what i could do without.

Thu, 05 May 2011 14:24:17 UTC | #623348

JuJu's Avatar Comment 5 by JuJu

Funny thing, while I was reading this article my chihuahua got the hiccups.

Thu, 05 May 2011 14:58:23 UTC | #623368

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 6 by crookedshoes

The thing about embryos that I always make sure to stress: They SELF ASSEMBLE. I mean watch the waves of movement and assembly. Whenever I get the chance I love to talk about self assembly; especially when hit with the "designer" argument.

Thu, 05 May 2011 16:09:03 UTC | #623387

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 7 by crookedshoes

edmendjessie, hiccups being evolutionary remnants from our "fishy" past, I think that in "looking down", you are viewing something pretty safe for the foreseeable future!!!

Thu, 05 May 2011 16:20:34 UTC | #623394

Phen's Avatar Comment 8 by Phen

Fascinating stuff. It's like looking into our own past. At around 22 seconds, as mentioned above, it's got that common mammalian face with protruding snout and eyes on the side of it's head.

Thu, 05 May 2011 17:53:41 UTC | #623411

edmundjessie's Avatar Comment 9 by edmundjessie

Comment 7 by crookedshoes edmendjessie, hiccups being evolutionary remnants from our "fishy" past, I think that in "looking down", you are viewing something pretty safe for the foreseeable future!!!

If you saw what i saw when i looked down, then you'd also be hoping for the sake of future generations there will be some aesthetic alterations not too far down the line!

Thu, 05 May 2011 19:36:08 UTC | #623449

Michael Austin's Avatar Comment 10 by Michael Austin

I read about this in Your Inner Fish at the recommendation of crookedshoes, who coincidentally posted above. Really quite amazing.

Thu, 05 May 2011 22:00:07 UTC | #623513

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 11 by DavidMcC

Comment 7 by crookedshoes :

edmendjessie, hiccups being evolutionary remnants from our "fishy" past, I think that in "looking down", you are viewing something pretty safe for the foreseeable future!!!

Don't you mean "fishy paste"? :)

Fri, 06 May 2011 13:49:48 UTC | #623822

DavidMcC's Avatar Comment 13 by DavidMcC

... We've also got their eyes! (Fish, that is, as no-one can say what kind of eyes Tiktaalik had.)

Tue, 10 May 2011 13:41:52 UTC | #625325