This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← In the Hasidic world, women do not exist

In the Hasidic world, women do not exist - Comments

Valerie_'s Avatar Comment 1 by Valerie_

Pretty pathetic. Are these the same people who tell us that women shouldn't drive because we present such a terrible distraction and temptation to men while operating a large steel vehicle? Now that I think of it, if driving is banned, why is being a passenger okay? Is sitting in the other seat somehow less seductive? (Yes, I know it's all about controlling others and all, but still.).

The original photo is here.

The ironic thing here is that although the Hasidic community tends to be conservative politically, they gave all their support to Hillary when she ran for Senate and President.

I see. How did they do that without mentioning her name in the papers? How would they have referred to her in the papers if she had won? Actually, do they refer to her now in the papers, or do they just write about "Former President Bill Clinton's wife?"

You really have to wonder about the kind of mind that dreams this stuff up. And the kind of people who put up with it.

Mon, 09 May 2011 16:51:48 UTC | #624960

MadEd's Avatar Comment 2 by MadEd

This utterly sickens me. What can be done? Does anything like this happen here in the UK, or anywhere else in Europe?

We seem to live in a fairly hateful world (though with lots of relly nice people in it).

Mon, 09 May 2011 16:56:55 UTC | #624961

MadEd's Avatar Comment 3 by MadEd

Aplogies for typo, obviously that should have been 'really'.

Mon, 09 May 2011 16:58:20 UTC | #624963

knockknock's Avatar Comment 4 by knockknock

The story is also featured here where there's an inane poll, the options of which being:

• It is a complete outrage.
  • It must have been in light with the paper's religious laws.
  • I'm not sure.

• Because heaven knows it can't be BOTH a complete outrage AND "in light with the paper's religious views" - or at any rate that the magical fairy dust of religion takes otherwise outrageous things and makes them tolerable, and worthy of detached respect.

As to Valerie @ Comment 1 - I can imagine several ways in which being a passenger of a car has far more potential to be distracting to the driver - none of which bear being spelled out, here!

Mon, 09 May 2011 17:23:47 UTC | #624971

paulmcuk's Avatar Comment 5 by paulmcuk

Was the paper running during the time Golda Meir was PM of Israel? That would have caused a problem - ditto if Hilary had become President. The saddest thing for me is that I bet there are hasidic women queueing up to say how right and proper it is that they're airbrushed out of public life, assuming they would be allowed to speak that is.

Mon, 09 May 2011 18:28:45 UTC | #625014

SomersetJohn's Avatar Comment 6 by SomersetJohn

It has long been my opinion that any news source which deliberately manipulates their output for their own reasons are commiting the greatest crime it is possible for news outlets to commit. They are lying to their readers/listeners/viewers.

I am referring to deliberate lying, not slanting the news to favour their own particular outlook. (Think Daily Mail, Daily Express, etc.) I'd have to put the Hasidic newspaper in the liar camp because they are rewriting history and leaving valuable information out for their own agenda.

They need to be called liars for this.

Mon, 09 May 2011 19:13:30 UTC | #625043

Valerie_'s Avatar Comment 7 by Valerie_

Comment 5 by paulmcuk :

The saddest thing for me is that I bet there are hasidic women queueing up to say how right and proper it is that they're airbrushed out of public life, assuming they would be allowed to speak that is.

I'm sure their husbands or fathers are happy to say it for them.

Mon, 09 May 2011 20:46:14 UTC | #625078

McCandolin's Avatar Comment 8 by McCandolin

I live in the Bed-Stuy neighborhood in Brooklyn in the south, “lively,” end as opposed to the north, “quiet,” end where there is a large Hasidic community. It is very strange up there, and it makes me uneasy. It’s unfortunate too, because you will often see beautiful, well dressed, intelligent looking women only to see a man in silk robes, ankle socks, and a bear skin hat herding them around a moment later. They live in a completely different world.

This is hearsay and an anecdote, which I know means its rather worthless, but one of my friends claims to have seen some of the men throwing stones at a girl on a bike last summer because she wasn’t dressed modestly. Knowing Brooklyn she probably wasn’t but I say good for her. I have a hard time wrapping my head around a viewpoint that could encourage violence for something so mundane.

Mon, 09 May 2011 20:52:10 UTC | #625081

NorthernAtheist's Avatar Comment 9 by NorthernAtheist

@ Comment 6 by SomersetJohn

"As Hamodia's editor put it, "For us the newspaper is an educational device that not only informs but also teaches people how to behave. If it detracts from yiddishkeit, it won't be in our paper."

Mon, 09 May 2011 23:22:33 UTC | #625143

BeanSlap's Avatar Comment 10 by BeanSlap

That's pretty creepy and misogynistic. It's interesting how so many of the worlds mainstream religions come from a very misogynistic background. I say if you're going to be religious at least not be a regressive drone about it.

Tue, 10 May 2011 00:03:26 UTC | #625155

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 11 by Stevehill

"Publishing a newspaper is a big responsibility, and our policies are guided by a Rabbinical Board. Because of laws of modesty, we are not allowed to publish pictures of women, and we regret if this gives an impression of disparaging to women, which is certainly never our intention,"

Instead the Rabbinical Board chooses airbrush out of your existence even the knowledge that your country's Secretary of State happens to be female.

I'm no Jewish scholar, but by what perverse logic is it deemed more moral to lie to the people than to show a perfectly demure photograph of Hillary Clinton?

A religion which believes such nonsense is not a religion worth belonging to. (Though in fairness, all religions believe nonsense, and none are worth belonging to).

Tue, 10 May 2011 06:35:47 UTC | #625219

sandman67's Avatar Comment 12 by sandman67

Theres a big community of them in the Seven Sisters area of London, and for a couple of years I lived there with mates in a big victorian semi next door to one of the community elders.

Yes they do hold some pretty whacked out views, but they are a closed community with no interest in spreading their faith, so to me are (on the Douglas Adams scale) "Mostly Harmless".

I used to feel a bit sorry for the old geezer - having a house full of stoner bikers next door must have dented his cred. But after a year or so the ice began to melt (us helping him harvest his veggie plot when he was under the weather broke the ice) and eventually we came to live next to each other with a fair degree of mutual respect. We'd stay quiet on his sabbath and not make too much noise, and got to like hearing them singing their prayers through the wall. I guess in return he got into the practice of telling his flock not to sneer at us as after the ice broke we got a lot warmer receptions when meeting adherants on the street or in the local shop (initially mothers with kids would cross the road rather than walk past us).

I learned that a bit of respect and empathy goes a long way through living there, and I guess they learned that not all bikers are beer fuelled baby eating satansts.

As I said, whacked out mad hat wearers but Mostly Harmless.

Tue, 10 May 2011 13:34:23 UTC | #625321

Jay G's Avatar Comment 13 by Jay G

Comment 12 by sandman67 :

Theres a big community of them in the Seven Sisters area of London, and for a couple of years I lived there with mates in a big victorian semi next door to one of the community elders. Yes they do hold some pretty whacked out views, but they are a closed community with no interest in spreading their faith, so to me are (on the Douglas Adams scale) "Mostly Harmless".

I used to feel a bit sorry for the old geezer - having a house full of stoner bikers next door must have dented his cred. But after a year or so the ice began to melt (us helping him harvest his veggie plot when he was under the weather broke the ice) and eventually we came to live next to each other with a fair degree of mutual respect. We'd stay quiet on his sabbath and not make too much noise, and got to like hearing them singing their prayers through the wall. I guess in return he got into the practice of telling his flock not to sneer at us as after the ice broke we got a lot warmer receptions when meeting adherants on the street or in the local shop (initially mothers with kids would cross the road rather than walk past us). I learned that a bit of respect and empathy goes a long way through living there, and I guess they learned that not all bikers are beer fuelled baby eating satansts.

As I said, whacked out mad hat wearers but Mostly Harmless.

You make an interesting point. They are mostly harmless to you because you are an outsider. They are not so harmless for those within the circle, however.

Tue, 10 May 2011 13:55:35 UTC | #625330

Tord M's Avatar Comment 14 by Tord M

'Women', what`s that?

Oh, you mean the incubators, the vacuum cleaners and the washing machines.

Well, people don't want the papers full of pictures of home appliances, do they?

Wed, 11 May 2011 15:41:25 UTC | #625874

astrophysics's Avatar Comment 15 by astrophysics

Goodness- women aren't appliances. they are like the high priest, doing the service in their home, which is equivalent to doing the holy service in the temple.
    Believe it or not, Hassidic girls swallow this stuff. I know this first hand, because I'm forced to sit through such classes on a daily basis.

Tue, 08 Jan 2013 03:16:55 UTC | #951311