This site is not maintained. Click here for the new website of Richard Dawkins.

← Pro Bono lawyers to prosecute faith based injustices?

Pro Bono lawyers to prosecute faith based injustices? - Comments

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 1 by QuestioningKat

Ugh! When will they learn? Back when I was a theist (deist), my church was ultra liberal towards gays and lesbians. They could (and did) openly cuddle and kiss and no one blinked an eye.

My guess is that they are protected by first amendment rights. Maybe forward this image to the closest GLBT group. I think the best you will be able to do is express your own right to speech by protesting through media, pickets, etc.

Tue, 31 May 2011 11:13:53 UTC | #632602

RDfan's Avatar Comment 2 by RDfan

The problem is that the law permits for freedom of religious belief. Religious beliefs, such as Christianity and Islam, however, are filled with misogyny, homophobia, and tonnes of other forms of anti-human sentiment. Unfortunately, the legal right to religious belief is a do-not-go-to-jail, you-are-free-to-spread-hatred-freely card for the religious.

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 01:25:16 UTC | #633083

raytoman's Avatar Comment 3 by raytoman

My view is that politicians support religion since the the members are already brainwashed and can be easily manipulated into any stance required. Religion, the best method ever invented for exercising power and control over others, provides them with supporters who will kill and die for whatever their god wants (as determined by religious leaders(and politicians)).

Say abortion is an affront to god and they will blow up or shoot the Doctor, Midwife, Nurse, Clinic and pregnant girl to save the unborn foetus. DUH! This will become a heated debate which will detract from any sensible topics such as the economy, the wars, the corruption and the state of the Union.

Sarah Palin may well become President of the US with the judicious use of a few slogans (she can surely remember a few). You can be sure God and We The People and Family Values and Self Reliance and Individual Liberty will be among them.

Any rational debate will be drowned in nonsense.

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 02:01:21 UTC | #633092

Phen's Avatar Comment 4 by Phen

Comment 3 by raytoman :

Sarah Palin may well become President of the US

I was just about to go to sleep when I read that. Let the nightmares commence.

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 02:11:40 UTC | #633094

zengardener's Avatar Comment 5 by zengardener

NIV

God’s Wrath Against Sinful Humanity

18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30> slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

This is the very definition of dehumanizing, and deamonization.

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 03:12:15 UTC | #633102

Virtual Katie's Avatar Comment 6 by Virtual Katie

Ok so they can have hateful signs... but what about the other stuff? What about prayer in public schools and the acceptance of teachers dismissing evolution as a theory or refusing to teach it at all. This is what I'm the most concerned about. This still happens.

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 04:34:48 UTC | #633109

Virtual Katie's Avatar Comment 7 by Virtual Katie

My guess is that they are protected by first amendment rights

The problem is that the law permits for freedom of religious belief.

Is "hate speech" protected? If you had a sign that said "Niggers are dirty, god created them to be slaves, teach your children the truth" then I doubt it would stay up very long.
It seems they should be allowed to have these signs up inside the church but not outside... I don't know. I don't like the idea of taking rights away but it seems that the law doesn't apply to them because they know no one wants to oppose them in their tiny communities. I think we need something out of Washington to handle things like this.

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 04:47:54 UTC | #633113

Virtual Katie's Avatar Comment 8 by Virtual Katie

And here is the hyperlink. (sorry it didn't come out right in the original post) link text

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 04:49:31 UTC | #633114

RDfan's Avatar Comment 9 by RDfan

Praying in school and teaching Creation "science" in Biology class is already being dealt with by Constitution law experts.

Sadly, abusing someone or denying them their human rights because your Holy Book tells you so is, on the whole, legally justified because of the the legal right to religious belief. If, for example, the Bible had said "Niggers are dirty, god created them to be slaves..." then it would be legally acceptable to say so as a Christian, based on current laws. Hell, that's pretty much what the Bible says about Gays, remember. But, we are already seeing the absurdity of this especially where the right to religious belief clashes with, say, Anti-Sex Discrimination legislation or parental duty of care and the requirement to seek medical treatment for a sick child, as opposed to praying for their well-being. As the law stands, however, the religious continue to get away with god-sponsored, legally-justified bullshit!

Then there is the whole other subject of freedom of speech...

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 07:21:58 UTC | #633148

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 10 by Stevehill

@Zengardner

Thanks for quoting the bits of the Book of Romans cited on the offending sign. I see that disobeying one's parents is considered to be just as great a sin as gay sex, and also merits the death penalty.

Is this still taught in Southern Baptist Sunday Schools, and what is the view of local law enforcement officials when parents carry out the God-ordained penalty?

Possibly the sign is an incitement to murder?

Thu, 02 Jun 2011 08:21:45 UTC | #633154